Tamoxifen and antidepressants

My mum is 82 and was diagnosed with breast cancer 12 months ago, she had a lumpectomy and lymph gland clearance followed by radio therapy, which she finished in September 12, her continuing treatment is withTamoxifen as she has osteoporisis. She had been taking Prozac for anxiety and had to stop this because of the interaction with Tamoxifen. Now five months on she has started to complain of depression probably due what she has gone through in the last 12 months, she has an appointment with her GP but I wondered what anti-depressant would be safe to take with Tamoxifen, I know dr’s aren’t always up to speed on what can and cannot be taken so I would like her to be armed with some information. Her previous medical condition was a heart attack 8 years ago which she made a complete recovery but is on tablets for high blood pressure and cholesterol. I would be grateful if someone could advise me. Her next appointment with her Onchologist isn’t until September.

Hi Vanessa

Whilst you’re waiting for others to share their experiences, I just thought I’d mention the Helpline. They may be able to offer some information and support or direct you to other sources of help.

They’re open today 10-2 on 0808 800 6000.

Best wishes.

Louise, Facilitator

I took amitriptyline for nerve pain while I was on Tamoxifen but in larger doses is an anti-depressant. I have heard of other ladies taking it. It is considered an older drug and I started taking it in 2004.
Hazel

Hi there,
I’ve been on Tamoxifen and an antidepressant called citlopram - it’s worked wonders for me and helped with panic attacks, stress and generaly feeling miserable. I’ve had no side affects and both my GP and Onc knew my medical history and OK’d it. It does take a couple of weeks to cick in but might be one for your Mum to change to?
hope this helps
Caroline

Another vote for citalopram here. It took 4 or 5 weeks to work for me but once it kicked in it was great. Onc said fine to take it with tamoxifen.

Della

Make sure she doesn’t get prozac / fluoxtetine - it’s a No No withj tamoxifen. also steer clear of seroxat if you can as it’s notoriouslky hard to get off!!

Nina

I’m on my 2nd week of citalopram for anxiety attacks. It calmed me down from day 1-4 then had a bad day but was reminded they’re not miracle cures and to give them a chance. I think I responded straight away as they were such a shock to my system taking anything like that. I did read the contra indications as I also take sumatriptan ( for migraines) and tramadol) but gp assured absolutely fine and said I would prob be on them about 6 months or so by which time ill be on tamoxifen which he assured me are ok together . I can’t wait for them to really kick in !! Ill be a well chilled bunny xx

Bring on week 4 ! Lol x

Hi Littlescoot

Glad to hear that citalopram seems to be working its magic for you. It took about four weeks to really work for me but in that time I went from being incapacitated by anxiety to quite a cheery soul. Good luck.

Della

Thank you everyone for your advice, it’s much appreciated. It’s very reasurring hearing your experiences.