tamoxifen belly

I’m the same although only took tamoxifen for about 10 months. I think of it as my chemo belly as that’s when it started. I put it down to chemo and tamoxifen throw you into (early?) menopause and so the belly is middle age spread associated with that. Hate having to buy more day clothes!

Hello. Sorry to hear about your weight going down and then up. The body changes are not welcome. I am going on 8 years in remission. I don’t think about bc unless I have some unknown pain. Then I’m frightened briefly. I did change my diet–eating little of simple carbohydrates. I lost about 8 pounds and stabilized at 123. I
attribute my body changes to Tamoxifen and age. I do leg lifts to strengthen abdominals. I’m reminded of a health professor saying women notice their clothes fitting differently without gaining weight. Cause is hormonal changes causing fat shifting. I agree. Focusing my happiness on being healthy. It takes a while to get there so give yourself a break. I wish you all the best as you get well.

Well all this explains my “I’m the heaviest I’ve ever been” conversations.lately. I’ve been on spinach smoothies, carrot juice, bouncing around the living room to davina… but weight creeping up. Ah well, I’m alive., that’s the important bit. While I’m on here, has anyone suffered any joint/bone pain?? My hip is murderous at times. Never had a problem before, but considering purchase of a stanner stair lift and I’m only 48. (Other stiarlifts are available)

Hi kitty and jobey, looks like we’re all in the same boat. I turned 50 last week, 47 at dx. Always been a healthy eating gym bunny and did yoga throughout chemo. My weight normally hovers around 9 stone 3-7 (size 10). Went down to 8st (size 8) during chemo and now about 10 st 6 (just squeezing into 12s bought at charity shops as refuse to go higher!)

Was on tamoxifen, moved to zolodex and anastrazole because of mood swings, depression and suicidal. Zolodex gave me drenching sweats, intolerable so stopped all meds summer 2016.

Sad to say I still have my belly, fat thighs and arms. Hate it, and don’t know how to get rid of it. Massive diet starts after Easter! I walk several miles twice a day with dogs, do yoga, aquarobics and combat, really don’t eat a huge amount. Have recently deduced that cancer was keeping me slim - surgeon said I had a very large but slow growing tumour which had probably been there for years. It’s not a recommended weight loss plan but it worked!!!

Andeezegirl I had implant recon, I’ve been joking with the kids that I’m growing my diep boob in case the implant fails!

Kitty. I’ve have horrendously achey joints, hips really bad, knee due steroid injection, have already had steroids into base of thumbs and big toes, now my elbows have started.

I does all seem to point towards premature aging, menopause etc. Feel 70 with my middle age spread, bing wings and aching joints.!!

Keep us posted on any weight loss tricks you find xx

I’ve been on zoladex and anastrazol but it nearly crippled me, so back on tamoxifen and now can walk again but still very stiff and lethargic. Am going to have oophrectomy (ovaries and tubes out) in august and hope that will help me to get my body and energy back. Feel like a whale on a daily basis.

I could barely move I was so stiff a few years ago. My knees would crunch like celery when I sat down and everything ached and I felt 75 instead of 50… I had been rear ended by a drunk driver and was furious that this woman took my youth and vitality from me. My ortho finally said, perhaps it’s the meds. I had switched to anastrazole from tamoxifen after gething the oooerectomy and made the switch just before the accident. I read side effects, called my oncologist on Christmas eve to complain and she said stop the drugs. Guess what, within the week I got my life back. Felt great and got back on the tamoxifen after a break. I am on it 9 years now. One more to go. I am a whale. Went from a size 8 after 3 kids, to an enormous belly at a size 14. 16 likely ahead. I never thought I would see the day.

Fortunately, my new husband loves every inch of me! But, it’s a challenge for me w clothes, etc. I am not out and about as I used to be, a bit embarrassed by the Tammy belly. Other than that, never been happier, 9 yrs post-lumpectomy and radiation, BRCA 2 positive. I thank God for every day he gives me the gift of being alive and well!

I had the oopherectomy at 50 and it was a breeze. Nice to put the periods behind me, and to be rid of the ovarian cancer worry!

I ask my oncologist about the belly, and if it’s tamoxifen and she never says it is. They bury that part and blame it on menopause. The belly is disfiguring.

I went from size 8 to 12/14 after treatment. Finally got rid of my tamoxifen belly by having DIEP reconstruction - every cloud and all that!!

Increased belly fat is a symptom of menopause and tamoxifen exaggerates it.

girlvstamoxifen.wordpress.com/2016/11/22/tamoxi-tummy/

I have a cancer nutritionist and she told me the Tamoxifen caused adrenal fatigue. This causes high cortisol levels which leads to belly fat. I have never in my life had this big of a belly even when weighing in 15 pounds more. I stopped Tamoxifen after a year just three weeks ago. I am cutting way back in caffeine which causes high cortisol levels and doing light to moderate exercise every day for an hour. Also had to give up dairy which can cause inflammation and I am taking lots of fiber. Just started all of this so not sure what the results will turn out to be but I sure can not wait to get rid of this huge belly!