tamoxifen worries

i had my mastectomy in july 2014 with snb … all nodes clear…turned out grade1 stage1… so as my surgeon stated if i was to get cancer i got the best one to have… which is all well and good but now on tamoxifen for the next 5 years… is there an alternative to tamoxifen i could be using as have read tamoxifen can cause other cancers which i really dont wanna tempt fate with…if ime premenapause and these are to block the estrogen would it not be more of a choice to have the other boob removed or incase of cervical cancer then at 43 can they or would they give me a hysterectomy to lessen the risk of cervical cancer caused by tamoxifen, then perhaps i wont mind as much taking the tamoxifen if they were really nec… my main concern is taking tamoxifen which may lead to more cancers but in the cervix etc… i really dont know where to go to ask these questions i have apart from here

Hi Englishrose2905

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

I have put for you below the link to BCC’s publication for Tamoxifen and hope you find it helpful

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/tamoxifen-bcc20

Also please find the link below to the area of this website where different hormone drugs for breast cancer is discussed.  As well as the information I have linked to please don’t hesitate to contact our helpline team and talk to them about your worries/concerns, they’re here to support you through this.  Calls are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

breastcancercare.org.uk/node/1154088

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi iam on day 8 with this hormone tab I was on hrt for 20years and they said it was feeding my cancer so off them now I do not know why iam on them iam 66 but they said it would keep my bones from breaking easy funny enough had letter from hospital this week to go gor a bone scan iam staring radiation next moth so do not know how they expect me to fit it in xxi have lost 1stone since my op which is great xx