Teachers!!

Forget about what your pension might be, as Tree says,we might not be here to get it anyway, so go for it now and enjoy quality of life. A friend of mine (nurse not teacher)applied for ill health retirement which she got, without any problems whatsoever. She also gets DLA and ESA allowances. She and her husband made a few cutbacks in their monthly budgeting and moved to a smaller house. They are now enjoying a nice quality of life, she’s not stressed and they go away when ever they can. so sieze the moment.
Good luck to you all xxxxx

Hi, I have read all the posts about teachers and how they have coped through their treatment and how they have managed with going back to work - all very interesting to me as a secondary school languages teacher, who has recently had a lumpectomy and axillary clearance and tomorrow starts first chemotherapy (FEC x 3, T x 3). Then due to have radiotherapy and on to Tamoxifen. My school has so far been very supportive. I miss my wonderful colleagues and students, as well as the day-to-day buzz of the school day. But it is also good not to have that to worry about as I have enough to cope with, facing whatever chemo will make me feel like! I wondered if there were any other teachers out there going through the same as me at the moment who would like to share their experiences? I too am concerned about what I will be like post-treatment and whether I will be able to cope with the workload - I am a HoD and have a significant pastoral role too.

Hi everyone
Have just discovered this thread and have read all the posts with great interest. I had a mx last Jan and am now on tamoxifen. I’m a primary school teacher, working 3 days a week and this last tine last year was completely freaked out as we were having many new initiatives dumped on us just as we heard we were due to be inspected. Then I was diagnosed. I realised I was totally stressed out when my first thought was great, I’ll miss the inspection and then only secondly, OMG I’ve got cancer. How crazy was that?
I was off for 9 months, accompanied by depression. I go to counselling and my counsellor insists I should treat my two days off as work free and only spend Sun afternoon working. I went back to work in Sept and I did this for the first half term. It was great as there are loads of interests I want to pursue. However, when I returned after the half term holiday assessments were due in, I went straight into parents’ evening and ended up doing 11 hours work that day. The next day I was asked to hand in an endless stream of work, which I had either not been able to do (there have been many changes to planning and new initiatives introduced) or I had not done due to my not working on my days off. I had a mini meltdown and was crying in front of my job share colleague, who often has to carry me when things are not done. I went home that night in exactly the same state I was in last year.
I realise now that I can’t treat my days off as days off. This job now has so much paperwork to complete, much of it duplicated and pointless that if I don’t do it I’ll be causing my job share partner more work. As she’s been so supportive and wonderful I have to increase my work load. So today I worked all day. Funnily enough, I feel calmer because I now feel more in control, knowing I have completed tasks and made resources. I love the days I’m in class with the children but the constant stream of new initiatives, requiring new planning, making resources and even more paperwork, is starting to make my 3 days a full time job. How you ladies cope full time I’ll never know! Give yourselves a cheer!
I would love to give up work because even though I’ve endured so much I still allow the job to swallow me up. I envy those of you who can say that since having bc they can put their jobs or problems into perspective. The Tamoxifen makes me forgetful, making me appear incompetent in front of parents and colleagues, and I am enduring the most frightful hot flushes, both day and night, so a good sleep eludes me too. Giving up is not an option as our finances could not cope with a drop in income. I guess I’m still searching for a good life/work balance but am convinced that expectations heads make on their staff today will make that balance hard to achieve. Sorry for the long ramble. This started off as just a small post but has grown horribly.
Annys xx

Hi all,
I was diagnosed 3 years ago and have been back at work teaching,on and off, for about 2 1/2 years. I had my last zoladex injection in April and am still taking tamoxifen.

When I returned to work, I did three days a week for about 6 months. I found it too much and my confidence had become very low. I was advised on this site, to make an appointment with occ health and it really helped. I reduced my hours right down to 1/2 a day rather than finish work completely! I now work every morning.

I would strongly recommend having regular reviews with Occ health. The occ health nurse made it clear in her report to school that I was covered by the DDA and therefore the school should make reasonable adjustments which could include part time hours.

Although in many ways I’m enjoying work and most days I am pleased I decided to continue teaching, it hasn’t been easy. My colleagues are often so tired themselves that it is difficult for them to be supportive. Start small is the best advice I can offer, perhaps a couple of 1/2 days and build up gradually.I apologies if this doesn’t make sense like others have said my brain feels very foggy these days!
Good luck

I’d like to comment here please.

I wasn’t teacher but was the bursar and was a member of the senior management team. I monitored staff absence and was down on those whose absence was excessive but for those who had a genuine reason, that’s different.

Nobody expects you to be back at full strength after a BC Dx. and the Occupational Health Dept should support you in this. They should be working with you on a phased return!

For those who are really suffering, Occupational Health should work for you.

Mal x

Hi all,

I work at an FE college. It is a 0.5 post, but I regularly worked 3 long days. I was diagnosed in August, during the holidays and have since been on sick leave, so I haven’t worked since July. So far, college (HOD and HR) have been very understanding. However, I do wonder how I will manage when I return. At the moment I can’t imagine being able to cope with the amount of class contact I had before, being on my feet long enough, and wondering whether writing on the board will bother my arm. Even prep will be be more diffciult as I find I can’t use the computer as much because it irritates my arm (due to node sampling op).

Hopefully when I return, I will do a phased return, and by then it will be nearly exam time and so not too many clases, and it wouldn’t be fair to the students to change teacher at this time. It may be September before I find out whether I can cope with it.

Annys: your comment about OFSTED is similar to some of my thoughts. As I said to my colleagues, having cancer is a rather desparate way to avoid our OFSTED revisit and to avoid having to teach functional maths! I am hoping that by the time I return the team will know what we are doing.

Julie

Hi all

I’m a Head at a primary school and was Dx three days before the start of school in September. Just waiting to start my chemo (having problems with seroma so they won’t start the chemo until it settles). My GP happens to be my Chair of Govs and is being wonderful. He’s written me off for the duration as school tends to be plague pit and has talked about a phrased return when I’m ready. Trouble is I really don’t feel I want to go back full time and reading your comments adds to the idea. My deputy is acting up and she’s part time and I’m wondering about job sharing in the future. We’re a small school so the budget is horrendous. We’re due Ofsted this year so I do feel guilty and do the odd bits but already feel out of touch but my god don’t you realise just how much of your life the job takes over. I suppose the upside is it won’t be me having to make the decision about closing the school when the snow comes.

Reeb

Hi Reeb
I can totally see where you’re coming from having been in a similar situation at the start of this year (primary head dx just before Christmas) I originally thought I would be back by Easter and was happy with that however things didn’t go that way and further surgery followed by chemo and then rads put a whole new spin on how I felt about things. You do very soon feel out of the system and yes you realise just how much of your life it is swallowing up. I too was in a small school so understand the pressures. I am sure that once you return you would soon get back into the swing of things but it is how your energy levels are and how your new outlook on life is that is different.
As you can see from my previous posts I decided that as I was only a couple of years from retirement it was in the schools interest to offer me early retirement as I would be having so much time off ( still hoping for recon next year). I therefore retired officially at Easter. If you have several more years to “give” then I am sure the school would welcome your suggestion of a job share. In my area good heads are hard to find particularly in small schools were everyone knows the pressures are greater because you can’t share the load. If you get on well with your chair why not have a confidential discussion with them to sound the idea out. Legally they might have to advertise the 0.5 Head position but there would be nothing to stop your deputy from applying. I would say it might be the best answer for you and the school. Pm me if you like.
Best wishes
Pam x

Thanks Pam.

Unfortunately I’ve still got a few more years to go before retirement is an option. Certainly the post would have to be advertised. I was in school the other day and almost mentioned the idea to the deputy but thought I’d better not until I was really sure. Everything is still a bit surreal at the moment. I keep thinking I’ll suddenly click back and be where I was. Anyway promised I’d review the medicines in school policy today.

Reeb xx

It is so helpful to read your comments and find that many feel the same about returning to teaching full time.
I have one more chemo to go (phew!) them mx and rads, so returning is still quite some time in the future, but I wonder if anyone could advise me on who, and when, to speak to someone about the possiblity of returning part time?

Hi

Re going back - contact your LA occupational Health department which may well want a meeting anyway before you go back, on your sick note the Gp may tick the ‘altered hours’ box but also chat with your Head and I know not all can be the most supportive. If you don’t get much joy write to the Gov Body and make a formal request which they must consider, it might mean a change in duty ie from being in a set class to covering PPA or something. However if your school budget is anything like mine the possibility of someone dropping hours can be welcome. If they need someone full time the job share should be ok as on costs to the school shouldn’t be too bad. As to time I wouldn’t worry about it just yet. You’re way ahead of me but I get the impression you need a couple of weeks at least after the radiotherpay so during that time might be the time to put out the feelers.

Hope this helps.

Reeb xx

Hi
I have finished chemo, but had my op before chemo. I have rads starting in just over a week. I spoke to my gp first and asked him if he would support the view that after a phased return I should go back part time. He said that he would. I then spoke to my head, mentioning the doctors support and he said he would put it to the governors but expected that they would support it. I am looking to go back around half term, then start properly at Easter all being well. I am happy to give up at least one of my coordinators roles, as de stressing my life is the point. Good luck. Dx

Hi again, thanks to everyone for these really interesting posts re returning to teaching, whether it be primary, secondary, full-time or part-time! It seems to me that the occupational health people are worth contacting (my Union suggests that too), as well as talking to the Head or governing body about a phased return to work. I hope we all find our schools supportive when we really need them to be. I shall be following this thread during my treatment - just had first chemo, second one next week :frowning: - and will let you know how I get on when I try to return to work next summer (I hope!).
Jan

Long story short…
3 YEARS AGO a 47 yr old HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER, NOW I AM NOT.
DIOg primary breast cancer, WLE x2, SNB, rads, that I worked through after sch day, tamox. now Arimidex. Was depressed prior bc diog. BC diog triggered serious mental health life endangering issues and after 6 months return to work signed off sick. After 2 yers off on long term sick given early pension based on ill health. I was totally supported by LA, school, teacher’s pensions. Not much but do get other benefits which means I can afford my basic bills, I am very low maintenence, no dependents or man to deal with, just me.
Teaching, I was once so passionate, loved it, the kids, great.
Now I take each day as it comes, no expectations of anything or from anyone.
You DO have to do what is best for you, it is your life. We are all replacable, which we can forget sometimes!
All the best Alice

Hi,
I am a secondary maths teacher and now back in full time work. I had 10 months off after 7 months chemo and 3 weeks rads. Then went back 3 weeks after that. My GP was happy to sign me off for longer but my pay went down to half before I even completed chemo. Half pay for teachers is not what it seems and one month I received half of 17 days pay, as it is based on working days and then halved after that! I had 14 days notice of it dropping and was really angry as I pointed out that mortgages and bills are monthly not fortnightly. I did get the non means tested benefit payments and an added bonus was they gave me £250 for returning to work afterwards as I agreed to attend an interview at the job centre. I was totally honest that I had a job and still got it as I claimed child benefit, no idea why.
I did not use occ health just went through my school but secondaries tend to have a lot more admin staff with roles to see. The head invited me in for a chat and I decided when I went back. I decided to start on a Thursday and just before a half term holiday. This was a great plan as I got all the comments, looks, etc over and when I went back kids all knew I was there now with very short hair!Totally shattered every day despite doing nothing. I found it hard just being upright and wanted to lie down most of the day and have drinks when I felt like it. I taught about 11 hours a week and had little booster classes to raise GCSE results. I really enjoyed it and no marking. I had one term of that then back to full timetable in Sep and was fine. It was quite a barrier to jump going back and giving up seemed a much easier option.
For me, I wanted to at least try out my old life as I felt I was going back to where I had been before Bc took its toll. Maybe a bit of a challenge that i could still do it if I wanted to. Funnily enough going back to it was the biggest influence in making me move on and put it out of my mind a bit more. I had got to the point when I used to introduce myself and tell people about my cancer as though it was now a part of me. As if they wanted to know that!!! So I would encourage anyone who still likes teaching to give it a go. The kids boost you so much and at least you don’t have time to dwell on it, much too busy. You also have high life insurance when no-one else will touch you, so a bit of protection for the family if that is important in your circumstances. We are covered by the disability discrimination act for life now, which I point out every time someone tries to move me to a worse room, take my room,etc. They have to treat you as well as any other teacher in fact if necessary they have to treat you better, so worth quoting.
Good luck and I am loving being back
Lily x

I have read through these posts today for the first time after posting near the beginning of this thread… I agree absolutely about the DDA - The employer is required by law to make “reasonable adjustment” for anyone who has cancer from the time of diagnosis for the rest of the time that the person is employed by them. I ensured that our personnel officer (I work in a FE college) knew that I knew about this. I am sure I was told by the Occi health nurse that the organisation would actually be on a sticky wicket if they dropped me to half-pay for absence especially during treatment! I also think that the Union (I am in UCU) should be able to offer support to anyone who feels that they are being treated wrongly during or after treatment.
Mo

Thanks Lily, I really wanted to hear that. I’m secondary English. I HATE not being at school and am missing the kids like mad, and if what my replacement says is true, they’re missing me too.

My work is (almost) my life because of the wonderful kids I teach and the thought of being too ill to do it is awful.

I was dx in July, op in august, chemo sept to jan and then rads. I’m having a hol before I go back to work BUT then will be in for the final push before GCSE’s. I’m desperate to get in there and have ‘MY’ year 11 kids back before they leave.

Jo

Just posted this on a retuning to work thread. Sorry for repeating.

I went straight back to work after a lumpectomy, lymph removal and radiotherapy. Straight back full time into Year 3. The class included 2 children with downs syndrome, something I had zero experience of. I have “coped” with and lead from the front through 2 Ofsteds,become expert on autism (learning through experience!). Ive lived through a 21 day experience no teacher should have to go through with zero support from authority or union.

Now after 4years and 9 months I should get the all clear shortly. Everything should be fine. Instead I,ve crashed and burned. I gratefully accepted a sick note for 6 weeks. This time I’m taking it slowly . This time Occupational Health will help me with back pain and Lymphedema. This time I’ll think about me and not how my supply teacher is doing. This time I will I will say no.

P.S.

Hi,
Chinook I am sorry to read about how bad things have been for you. Not sure I would have survived that lot even without BC. I was told I could not go back but the chemo makes that distinction with low or no immunity. Even rads insisted I had 21 days off after that. Hope the lymphoedema improves and is not too bad at the moment. I have not lifted heavy weights with that arm, mowed the lawn or done anything repetitive in the last 2 years and ok so far. I think writing on the board, as it is my right arm is stress enough for it. I hope your break does help things to settle for you.
Jo can I suggest you metion what i did to your head. They kept on my supply teacher and I picked up all the C/D borderliners and had 11 groups of year 11 maths classes. We took them out of other classes, mad small groups, etc and really pushed our 5A*-C with maths and eng up by a substantial amount and met our target as a HPSS. It was lovely for me as the parents got almost private tuition free, kids were all keen or chucked out the class and boosted my confidence back up high. You are a core subject so maybe you could suggest this if they can afford to keep the other one on.
Mo I wrote officially to the head and he consulted the pay committee chairman who wouldn’t set a precedent!I contacted the union several times but kind but no help at all. They even insisted I continued to pay union subs out of what was left of my salary as that it their rule. When I challenged this at NASWUT HO they were very embarassed and said they could only pretend I was on holiday on a sabbatical. Ha!! What an insult so don’t count on them too much anyone, they just cut it to 50% each month
Good luck all
Lily x

I have just started back at work this week. I work for an FE college, and work 18.5 hours per week. I met with HR and my manager yesterday and will be doing a phased return over 6 weeks, starting with only 4 hours this week, 6 next, then 9 etc. Apart from the meeting yesterday, this week I only have to go in for a couple of hours on Friday. They have even agreed that at the moment I can go late morning, so I have time to do my physio exercises which I need to loosen up in the morning. (I had mx+LD recon in January and had Femara and Zoladex since last September).

It’s also a bit late to be taking over classes as it is near exam time and wouldn’t be fair on the students. So it looks like I will just have to help in class and spend time doing other jobs, like checking the new GCSE maths changes. Then it’s soon the summer holidays. So it looks like a gentle return to work. I think September will be more of a shock to the system!

I have been on sick leave since last September, but haven’t actually worked since last July. I have been in a few times whilst off work. But it will be strange being back at work. I’m just so glad I will be having a gentle return, and they are even paying me my normal salary! Let’s hope it really is good as it seems.