Tender Armpit, unknown breast lump

Hi, I hope you can help. I am currently going through tests at the breast clinic to work out what tue lump in my left breast is. I have had an ultrasound, biopsy and MRI. They want to repeat the biopsy but believe it to be benign and possible inflammatory changes. However, I have just noticed my armpit next to the affected breast is tender whilst putting on deodorant. I cannot feel an obvious lump but it is certainly tender. Do I need to inform the breast clinic or doctor of this change. Or do I wait for my next biopsy appointment to come through?

Hi Ella098 

Thanks for posting. It is understandable that you have questions about the tender area in your armpit. There may be many reasons why this area feels tender especially as  you have had biopsies taken from your breast and the area might be tender as a result of this. Whilst there is no immediate need to let your treatment know about this tenderness, we would always suggest you do mention it at your next biopsy appointment. However, if you are feeling anxious about it, or the tenderness becomes worse, it is quite reasonable to contact the breast clinic and let them know.  

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001). 

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.  

We are currently evaluating this service and would appreciate your feedback. Please click here to the survey. It should take approximately 10 minutes to complete.  

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.  

We are closed on bank holiday Monday 1st May. 

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

Best wishes 

Victoria 

Breast Care Nurse 

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy  

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.