There's nothing wrong with pink and fluffy

I got the “if you’re going to get cancer, BC is the one to get” - from my GP!

Thank you to most posters who have kept the discussion respectful of other posters.

Back to the topic title, I think from this discussion it’s clear to see that the title is incorrect. There ARE some things wrong with pink and fluffy (see the preceding 12 pages!) BUT, pink and fluffy is not ALL wrong. As was said right at the beginning, it’s not as simple as the thread title suggests, and I welcome the opportunity to discuss what might be wrong, and also what might be right.

Choccie, you’re right about the thread’s title, because clearly it’s wrong to say there’s NOTHING wrong with the pink campaign - if someone looks hard enough they can find fault with almost anything (even I think the pink campaign needs to intersperse more serious information between the razzmatazz - and I started the thread). However, I don’t think the pink campaign deserves the criticism that it sometimes generates - and that’s why I started the thread.
I think what has been interesting about this thread is that it has generated food for thought, in that we have a views from a range of perspectives - rather than just dogma.

Yes, it has certainly been an interesting thread, and worth reading and joining in on.

Tickled Pink is STILL an offensive title, wouldn’t it be good if they could re-think the overall slogan - the “brand” someone referred to it as before, a very good description - and then re-launch the new brand and maybe promote even more interest. People do respond to re-launching as it’s something new and their curiosity gets the better of them!

Yes the term tickled is very unfortunate, but I think the concept is basically good (although they could intersperse more information).
Maybe it this thread runs, and we get enough opinion, we could use it to effect a change in the title?

It sure has been interesting and I’ve really enjoyed the discussion. Thanks for starting it LG.

Maybe Asda without compromising its brand (because that is what it is) would be more willing to silghtly alter its Slogan to something like,
“ASDA is Tickled Pink To Be Fundraising For Breast Cancer” Or is that too long? anyway maybe something simular,does anyone have any ideas that could be put to them?

Just a thought!

x

Pink Power.

Pink and powerful.

Any others?

Agree - thankyou LG for starting such a thought provoking thread.

Thats brilliant Cornishgirl,it would make that very contentious slogan more acceptable.I am biased in that i am a very girly girl who just happened to have 3 boys! So i have no problem with the pink,in fact my friend is fundraising in May for cancer on my behalf and we have to wear pink.I think its so important to remember that pink has just become associated with breast cancer as much as red has with comic releif.It has obviously struck a chord with the public.It is a formula that appears to work and work very sucessfully.

An interesting article from the LA Times about some US campaigns aimed at teenagers . I particulary like the writer’s comment: ‘I mean, really, forget “Save the Ta-Tas.” How about save the woman? How about “I :heart: My 72-Year-Old One-Boobied Granny?” After all, statistically, that’s whose rack is truly at risk.’

She also points out that self-examination has limited benefits and the nudge-nudge, wink-wink tone of some websites, which must be worse than pink and fluffy.

latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-orenstein-boobies-20110419,0,7726424.story

Cheryl

There’s a good site aimed at young people that’s UK based, I think.

coppafeel.org is worth a look.

Is it just me that is bothered by the fact it is Asda that this thread relates to? (substitute Tesco/Sainsbury/M&S etc etc) Rather than what we should expect from the health service.

I was someone picked up by routine screening (and I am not going to apologise for thinking this is a good thing despite being challenged about it in a private message. ) I am not a girly girl but could not really care less whether others are. I do not think that the matter of health care should be reduced to colours, feathers, or supermarket chains.

The jury is out for me regarding the pink and fluffy issue, (& too busy to really care), but just one point about the LA times article.

The writer states:
‘Yet experts no longer recommend self-exam for anyone, let alone high school girls. The unfortunate truth is that even when scrupulously performed, self-exams neither detect cancers earlier than they would be found otherwise nor offer any survival benefit’ This is an absurd comment.

I found my very obvious lump through self examination. I had always had lumpy breasts at certain times of the month, so with regular self examination know that the lump I found was not a monthly change. It was very lucky I found it as my tumour was very aggressive and grew from 17 mm at ultrasound to 30mm at op 3 weeks later. I am sure if I had ignored it or left it too long I would be looking a secondary dx now. Self examination offered HUGE survival benefit.

These young girls will take the messages learnt in the recent campaign through their lives with them. Through being more aware of their own body, they will be more attune to changes. While the delivery of the message sits uncomfortably, the fact is that the message is still effective

Just a shame the campaign does not address the diet & exercise issue!

sjj99, you’re right of course, in an ideal world, supermarkets shouldn’t be involved in health care. Similarly, I don’t think we should rely on charities to fund scientific research. Personally, I think we should have a list of priorities written in law, with health and welfare top of the list. Maybe it’s just me, but I think there is something very wrong when a five year old child in my village cannot get funding for SIRT (Selective Internal Radiation Therapy), to treat an inoperable brain tumour, while we are spending billions fighting pointless wars, and giving tax breaks to a group of people who almost bankrupted the Country.

Totaly agree with you on that lemongrove.

sjj99 It’s the title of the Asda campaign that is causing upset.I’m not bothered by pink and fluffy fundraisers but I don’t like the “tickled Pink” slogan.

The coppafeel site is very good,Myself and my daughter took part in the boob hijack campaign and I think it was excellent at raising awareness in younger women and getting them to know their breasts at an early age.I have been breast aware from a very early age as my mum had BC and I think it is very important to get to know and check your breasts form an early age.I can’t understand why the writer of that article says that self-examination doesn’t detect cancer early.
If I hadn’t been breast aware and noticed a change I think I would be in a different situation now.I had 5/6 years to go before entitled to mammogram.

Melxx

I’ve just found this thread and read it through from the beginning. I’m saddened by how a thread that started with such vigorous intellectual debate deteriorated to perceived accusations (can’t think of a better word) of’taking sides’ ‘gangs’ etc. It can be very difficult to convey your true meaning in text as we all rely on body language and tone of voice to truly understand what is being said when we are face to face with friends. I know we all do our best on this site and no one wants to deliberately offend anyone else. We’re all in this together and vulnerable.

I can see both sides of this argument and I felt uneasy about the pink fluffy image, before I had BC. I’m recenty diagnosed and before I was diagnosed my youngest daughter told me she was in training for Race for Life as her OH has a colleague at work with BC. I applauded her efforts whilst secretly wondering why the Race for Life had to be pink AND FLUFFY. Why not just Race for Life?

I’ve had major concerns for years about the way equality for women is trending, (if that’s a verb). I’m also concerned about consumerism and the new religion of ‘celebrity’ and for me there’s an obvious link. I don’t think I’m straying form the thread here.

Money raised for charity by pinkness is still money raised for charity, but it’s still reenforcing the stereotype of pink fluffy women, in my opinion. I also believe that the public in general are of the opinion that BC is curable, nobody dies from it any more and aren’t we lucky. My own daughters who are intelligent well informed women, both said to me that it’s easy to cure these days. I didn’t want to upset them at the time by disillusioning them, as it was early days but that was what they thought, from what they’d read in the media. I’m slowly drip feeding information and trying to be sensitive to their emotions, but they still need to know the truth.

My OH also is of the opinion that ‘keeping positive’ is essential, and this does make me feel sometimes that he believes that if I die from this disease that it’s my own fault. I know he doesn’t mean it this way and it’s obviously easier for everyone if I appear bright and chirpy on the outside. I don’t want to make it any harder for my family than it already is. That’s why this site is so important. We can rant and rave, argue, sw**r and have massive differences of opinion, but we all have something in common, BC and we can talk about it here. Who needs therapy when we have this? OMG now I might offend those having therapy. Didn’t mean it and I’ve been thinking of having therapy myself. See, it’s easy to offend when none was intended.

The extension of the debate into feminism isn’t going off the thread as it’s another point of view about ‘There’s nothing wrong with pink and fluffy’. I think there’s a lot wrong with it, it raises money which goes to very good practical use, but it doesn’t raise awareness, it gives false expectations of cure and perpetuates the ‘little woman’ image that women have fought for years to overcome. I wear pink, I wear make up, I vote, I think, I bake bread and know how a diesel engine works, but I won’t be dancing the cconga in a fluffy pink boa, unless it’s New Year’s Eve.

Hi everyone

I remember back in September 2009 (a year after I was diagnosed) there was an absolute furore which nearly crashed the bcc website! It started when Jordan was selling underwear and some of the proceeds were going to Tickled Pink. When she was filmed shooting the photos for the campaign (totally inappropriate - her in a revealing bra) she said something like “no one wants to see my scarred t*ts”. The whole debate went on to was it appropriate to have a glamour model fronting a bc campaign, whether Tickled Pink was an appropriate slogan etc … we had eloquent interviews on tv by Debsincornwall and Diepcat. Phew!!

Eventually Jordan (well, her undies) were dropped from the campaign and when the dust settled Asda asked, via bcc, if members would like to take part in a questionnaire. I agreed to do this. If I remember rightly I found the questionnaire a bit limited. It was mainly yes/no or multiple choice answers and not a lot of opportunity to put your own opinion. The upshot was that Asda said most people were happy with the slogan/campaign.

Obviously Asda haven’t taken much notice of what happened then if they still have the “sexy” shots which appear in the link.

Love
Maude xx

ps Just wanted to add - this was very exciting at the time. It felt good to be involved with such strong, intelligent women as Debs and Diepcat. My OH even sent a strongly worded email to ASDA and BCC because he was so angry!!

Hi

I remember that Maude and the facebook campaign. It felt like united we all made a difference. I too sent emails to ASDA and took part in their questionnaire but like you felt it was very restrictive. I think ASDA wanted to quieten us down at the time by dropping KP and offering to canvas us.

On the whole issue of self examination. I was rigorous (having a mother and paternal grandmother both suffering from bc) and when I found the lump, I thought because I had beem so vigilant, it would be a lumpectomy and thats that. Unfortunately, with lobular, it can spread far and wide before it is detectable. I was ‘‘fortunate’’ that it had not developed into secondaries. However, if I had had my first mammogram at 50 like I should have done, it might have been detected at least six months earlier. The rolling programme of mammos meant that I wouldnt have been called until a year or so later. I am so glad they are bringing the age limit down.

Having said that, self examination and mammograms will not prevent a lot of women from getting secondaries. Research into better diagnostic methods, genes, cures etc is our only hope for the future and therein lies the problem, the pink (and similar) campaigns get the funds in.

Its not right and its not a perfect situation and I dont have any answers.

Linda

Loads of us emailed ASDA at the time of the Katie Price thing saying how inappropriate it was to have her fronting the campaign. Even worse, after she was dropped from it KP made a comment along the lines of as her money wasn’t wanted (i.e. the money her undies would raise) she would just take it to another charity elsewhere. IMO it was just another stab at self promotion as she appears addicted to it. Despite the fact she tried to say how much she empathised with BC patients as her mum’s friend had it, I really got the impression she wasn’t all that bothered. It came across as being about making another few quid for herself via the extra publicity.

I quite like the fadhion targets breast cancer campaign. Less fluffy. Not so pink.