Tiny lump after breast reconstruction-could this be a recurr

Tiny lump after breast reconstruction-could this be a recurr

Tiny lump after breast reconstruction-could this be a recurr Hi
I am looking for a bit of advice, I had a grade 2 13 mm tumour removed with a lumpectomy in November last year which was quickly followed by 2 further lumpectomies to try and clear the margins. This was followed by a mastectomy and reconstruction, the histology report suggested there were 2 further sites of microinvasion in the removed tissue and the DCIS was extensive.
I have found a tiny, tiny lump on the reconstructed breast and althouth I have been told that the chances of recurrence is small I am scared that it was not all removed.I am due to see the surgeon on March 19th. Just wondered if I should try and get to see someone sooner than this.
Thanks for any advice
Cathy

Cathy Hi Cathy

It sounds like you are quite worried about the new lump you have found. It may help to talk to someone in confidence about how you are feeling, please feel free to contact our free phone helpline on 0808 800 6000.

Everyone on our helpline either has experience of breast cancer or is a breast care nurse and you can talk about both technical and emotional issues.

The helpline is available Monday to Friday 9am-5pm and Saturday 9am-2pm.

Kind regards

On-line Host
Breast cancer care

I know how you feel Hi Cathy,

Like you I had a mastectomy in Nov 06. I have not had reconstruction yet but I have recently found two small lumps on my mastectomy scar. My breast care nurse thinks they are lipomas small fatty lumps and is sending me for an ultra sound. I am worried because I have not had an appointment yet so I know how you feel. Tomorrow I am going to ring and try and get an earlier appoinmtent. If you do not want to wait so long as th e19th March - ring up and see if they will do an earlier one. I have posted a similar post to you - mine was the next post down entitled Mastectomy scar lipoma.
Let me know how it goes. I am thinking of you.

Sue

Hi Hi Sue
Hope all goes well with your ultrasound, it is frightening when you think they have removed the cancer and then find lumps again. I wonder when I will have a day when I don’t look for lumps and just accept that I am ok for now. Take care Let me know how you get on. I have decided to try and ring the nurse in the morning
Thanks
Cathy

FOR CATHY Hi Cathy just to let you know I went for my ultra sound today and they couldn’t see clearly what they needed to so I had a biopsy. Straight away I started panicking thinking all sorts. I get the results next week. Worse case scenario is that if cancer has recurred on the scar I will have to have chemo as I have already had radiotherapy. The doctor seemed to think the lumps were fat necrosis but because I only had the mastectomy 4 months ago the tissue in the lumps was too recent so it did not show up properly on ultra sound. Now got an agonising wait for the results. It seems that you get through one trauma and you are in the middle of another one. I do not think I will ever stop worrying.

How did you go? Did you get an earlier appointment?

Hope it is all ok. Let me know how you get on.

Sue

Hi Sue Thanks for replying. I still haven’t heard anything from the consultant about an earlier appointment even after I have spoken to the breast cancer nurse. Perhaps they are not worried about it…aren’t they the lucky ones. Sorry to hear that you having to await yet more results…
it is an agonising time but you do get there and get through.
Hope all goes well. Just wondered if they ever suggested an MRI scan for you as I have been reading all about how useful they are in conjunction with ultrasound.
Let me know how you get on, thinking of you and take care
Hope you sleep well
Cathy

For Cathy Hi Cathy. After an agonising couple of days I went to the hospital yesterday and they gave me my biopsy results. It was all ok and the lumps were just fatty scar tissue - fat necrosis. I burst into tears with relief.
My next appointment is for radiotherapy follow up and reconstruction so all is well.
Thank you for being there for me. How are things with you?

Thinking of you

Sue

Hi Sue Hi Sue
What a relief, you must feel tons better. What is fat necrosis and what does it look like.
I saw the breast nurse and she got me and appointment to see the consultant surgeon who did my 3 lumpectomies not my reconstruction as she was unavailable. Any way I thought an expert opinion was what I needed. He looked at the lump and said it was probably to do with the stitches and there was no need to do any further investigation. I am due to see my reconstruction surgeon next Monday so hopefully she can reinforce this. In the meantime I am struggling with these tamoxifen tablets, I feel exhausted and aches and pains in all my joints. It is so hard, I have a 21 month old little boy and want to play with him but my body is not up to much so he has become a real daddies boy.
Take care sue and all the best for your next appointment
Cathy