To reconstruct or not ?

Hi jag, yes I kind of had this! I say kind of because I had mx and immediate implant in sep 14, during subsequent chemo the wound got infected so had to remove implant, thus leaving a but of extra wrinkled skin. Between chemo ending and start of rads I had an expander implant in May 15, then in March just gone it was replaced with final one and a wee uplift on the good side to get a reasonable match (in clothes).

Ask away - I think I have been through every thought process and multiple surgery!

Hi Minnie, the final implant is more comfortable than the expander, although I didn’t find the expander a problem like some posts. It’s nice not to have the port which was a bit sore. The silicon is softer than the expander but still very firm compared to the natural side - I’m only a B cup however and had an uplift on good side. I had rads with the expander in and the skin tightened so restricted how big I could go with the final one. Never had any jiggling! Just a pert immovable boob.

Looks fine and symmetrical in clothes although new one sits higher than natural - apparently it’s normal for the baseline of our boobs to be one or two finger widths different in addition to natural droop. The skin is quite cold to the touch and I still have little feeling since the mastectomy.

Hello lovely ladies, and some old friends - Naz and Wavey.

I’d only ever wanted implant surgery, despite having self tissue options offered or pushed by two different surgeons. Didn’t have any stomach or bum anyway should I have opted. Plus, being slim, and a keen walker/swimmer at the time, I didn’t want to have one of my strongest body muscles the L.D, being compromised either. Neither did I want the extra scarring, risks of infection or tissue graft failure and increased healing times.

I had to have two mastectomies 9 months apart with ANC 2006 and 2007. Coped well mentally, still having one of my own boobs, tho’ difficult in the confidence and potential relationship sense - being single at 46. Had wanted immediate recon but due to various reasons, couldn’t have. Same happened with the 2nd one and didn’t cope well mentally at all. 

Did without for 7 yrs - hating it. It actually stopped me from the dating, so “singledom” plays another part in a persons decision.

Finally put myself onto the recon horse, for double implant surgery, back in March 2014. Went through all the expansions, ready for silicon replacement, September 2014. But due to a xclled surgery, followed by other personal life complications, am still with expanders. BUT, the boost to my body confidence, even thus far, has been dramatic. Feel more womanly again and certainly more “whole”. Just need to get it all finished yet. Different again tho’ - somewhat easier to match up, having both to recon at the same time.

So Jag - with regards to healing and discomfort following, and your holiday 5 weeks later - You should be okay. You’ll be given an immediate amount of fluid into the expander at the time of the op, which will feel very tight initially, until the skin has had time to stretch to it. So a bit uncomfortable for about 3 weeks. The incision scar is only about 2 inches, at the side, from under your arm. As long as there are no scar healing probs (I had none with both sides), you should be ok. If you’re walking, I’d avoid carrying a rucksack, unless it’s very light - get someone else to carry your gear !! You’ll have to play that one by how it feels. Hope that’s been of some help.

Do any of you who’ve had previous implant recon, have any plastic or oncho-plastic surgeon - recommends for the Manchester area. I’m in Macclesfield, but am prepared to travel up 20 miles or so. Could you please PM them to me. Thanks in advance.

Good luck to everyone with your very difficult decisions.

Loadsa love

Delly xxxx

Hi all

I’m listed for MX 22 June, and my decisions have gone the opposite way to Pod1. I was adamant that I only wanted the minimum of surgery, and faffing about with a recon was vain, shallow and the NHS had far better things to spend its money on, buuuuuutttt, my breast surgeon nudged me at least to speak to the plastics chaps. I was convinced ( no hard sell) that I most likely would do better with an immediate DIEP, so after a great deal of thought and discussion, that’s the way I’m going.

So, all our different decisions must show how varied we are and how it really is an individual decision for each of us.

I’m prepared to end up regretting this choice, or at the least wondering if it really was the best thing to have done, but on balance, it seems right form me ( I think!)

Every best wish to everyone struggling with this stuff, ever onwards, ladies…

xx

Hello Wavey - awww, dear friend.

Blimey - in hosp for a week!!! What exactly are you having done?? I’m catching up on here from the 12th, so perhaps you’ve mentioned it. Thanks for the recommend for Notts, but the op to replace expanders with permanent silicons is only a day op, and Notts is too far for me. I’m likely to return back to the surgeon at W/shawe hosp, but only on the condition that he himself performs all the further surgery. All the best for the 22nd lovey xx

My dear Naz - I’m really sorry to hear that you haven’t been happy with your recon. All the surgeons that I’ve had recon discussions with (three over a seven year period!! until I was finally in a life position to “go for it”), all emphasised that it’s more about looking good in a bra and not to expect too much naked as you/they’re obviously never going to be able to achieve perfection xx

But still to me, even at expander stage, I can cope so much better with looking at myself in a mirror now, without feeling upset - already preferring what I see to a skinny, flat, ribby chest. Plus gaining back the lateral or side curves to your boobs that you lose with a mastectomy - hence the “Skinny” reference, as in the sideways width to the upper chest and ribs.  As I said in my previous post, it’s done wonders for my confidence being a single person who’s still with hopes to meet a suitable partner. My attitude was - "If I’M not happy with and looking at my own body, I’m sure as heck not gonna want someone else looking at it in the bedroom department.

Another “plus” is that, I don’t need to wear a bra, and at the age of 57, as long as I’m dilligent about looking after the skin, with it being so thin, I’m more likely to retain two pert boobs longer !! Woohoo. Don’t think I’ll ever be able to sunbathe for prolonged periods. But then, hot flushes make hot weather less bearable anyway. Nice sitting in the shade tho’, and again, less ageing !!.

I’m not sure how I’d go on with bra fitting yet, as when you have implant recon, they have to leave a large enough seperation gap between the boobs to avoid the skin on the sternum / breastbone being lifted by the pressure of the expanders or implants. I’ll have to play that one as and when, as most bras don’t have a large enough gap between cups!!

Jellyjem - I so get what and how upset you feel. Bummer innit, to say the least. And you ramble on all you want to gal. You’ve loads of empathetic ears on here.** Have you been shown a portfolio of photographs of results from the various different recon procedures by your elected surgeon ?? If not, ask to. That will also help you decide whether to carry on forwards and which procedure to go for. There are the extra scars to consider with self tissue recon, as mentioned, not just to the area the tissue is taken from, but also to the breast area itself.** xx

Also, as I’ve said before, your marital/partner/single status comes into it. I’ve spoken to many women older and younger, in longterm stable marriages or relationships, who didn’t feel the same need confidence wise for recon and chose not to have it done. Obviously helps if you have a supportive other half, for whom it doesn’t matter so much. But I’ve also known and spoken to other such women, who opted to have recon.

Loadsa love

Delly xxxx

Ps. - Naz, have sent you an email xx 

Pod1 - Good for you. Isn’t it a relief when you finally come to and make a decision. One less thing to think about whilst you’re having to deal with many others.

Wavey - coo-eee flip. No wonder you’re gonna be in a week then. That’s great that your having a lift to your natural boob at the same time. Yes I know it’s more surgery and discomfort too, but hopefully it’ll save you time later. Is your surgery being performed by an oncoplastic or a plastic surgeon ?? Talking of getting in and out of bed. I should have only been in hosp 2 days for my expander installation. But, because the trainee carrying out the op caused massive bruising to the whole of my middle area, I was in for five. If I struggled to get in and out of bed in hospital, I wasn’t going to manage at home on my own was I? So I stood my ground when they tried to chuck me out on day three until I was more mobile and able. Good luck brave lady - I may just be in your pocket on the day. Don’t forget to wear your bestest, sexiest knickers for the op table if you’re not required to go commando!!! Yeh, I’m naughty - well it gives 'em something interesting to look at and talk about !!

Loadsa love Delly xxx 

'Ello everybody, hope you’re all doing well.

'Ello Wavey - please remind me again where you’re to have your surgery?? And please remind me again what the diff between Diep (is that tummy?) and a Trans is?? Think I already said, my options were only Lat Flap or implants. Coo, I like the fact you’re so in advance of it all and giving yourself plenty of time to work up to or, should I say “weight off” to -  I’m LOVING your commitment. Am presuming you’ve been advised to lose some weight, with it being one boob, as any fluctuation would make it lobsided? You keep at it and go for it gal. What you using as inspiration or a carrot?? A blown up poster of Elle “The body” McPherson or Claudia Schiffer??

I haven’t yet anything arranged anything for expander to silicon op yet. These expanders are supposed to have a limited lifespan of two years, which urged me on back in December. But had a three month delay due to hospital mismanagement (was lost on the system!!). Then that mishap of communication with last consultant,  then me taking a mental dive with “it” and other stuff!! Afraid it doesn’t take much to knock me back down these days.

Loadsa love

Dellywelly xxx 

Hello to everyone - hope you are all doing well and coping with decisions.

Wavey - you’re so sweet. Community champion means I’ve made a huge nuisance of myself on thiis here wonderful forum !!!

No, I assure you, their reason for wanting you to lose weight is as I mentioned in my post. They want you to be at a preferred weight to yourself to prevent lobsidedness. You didn’t answer my ? Diep - is that tummy? Trans is what???

When’s your Gall bladder op gonna be???. GALL - “it got my gall”, "you’ve got to have a lot of “gall” to do . . . It’s important, tho’ we can live without one. Hoping all goes well with it for you, keyhole or not, it’s still a major trauma to your bod. What have been your symptoms for it Wavey?? cos I’ve been having stomach probs for some time now, and I avoid anything fatty or oily.

Loadsa love Dellypoos xxx 

Hi folks

I’m home after MX and DIEP last Wednesday. Phew phew phew. All seems to have gone ok, veeeeeery little pain. My biggest prob was massive hot flushes while I had the warm blanket post op and did get a bit freaked out after anaesthetic, but both shortlived. So just one drain, and early night now. Am much more mobile than I expected. Our wonderful NHS. Night night, Caroluna

Caroluna - WOW and Whoopee. That’s brill and fantastic that you’re comfey and doing well x

Wavey - Thanks for the differentiation in the two tum techniques x

Love to everyone

Delly xxx