Treatment starting August 2014

Hi alijay…welcome to our august thread.

Cassa…you’re right…the ball is rolling now with lots of us unfortunately on the same or similar journey. At least we have the support of one another on here & we can take control of how we utilise the hints tips & experience of each other.

Lovely ladies…thank you all…I’m feeling much more positive now & getting to grips with what’s to come. I know it’s not going to be a walk in the park but everyone’s postings on here are helping to give me an insite as to feelings & SE’s etc. I think my point is that at least we are not alone on our journeys…we’re stronger together ?

Keep positive ladies & here’s a smiley for sharing ??

With love Bxx

Hi ladies.

Just checking in to today’s threads. Bit worrying no word from Macky. Ditto to Mel’s comment…hope you’re ok hunnie. Let us know as soon as you are able.

Alijay…glad it went well today. With all good wishes for Monday.

Night night all…love B xx

Hi Alijay
I was told by the chemo nurse that they provide waterproof sleeves at my hospital but that you can also wrap the arm in cling film to shower. x

Hi ladies & welcome too to Bali. 

Bali …sorry you’re feeling so low & I hope by joining this forum you feel a little better as all the lovely ladies on here are amazing & we’re traveling on our journeys together.

Well I’ve done it!! …Had my hair cut short today & am really liking my new look ?  My boyfriend thinks it makes me look younger…so he’s a happy chap ? One : nil to me cancer!!!  ? I’ve won this one before the chemo does whatever!! ?

Can I ask you ladies a question please…? I keep reading within your posts about the picc line…what is it? Will I be having this before my chemo starts? Nothing mentioned by my Onc or cancer nurse. If you can give me an insight I’ll perhaps ring my nurse. Thanks.

Take care all.

Much love… B xx

Morning lovely ladies :relaxed:

Hope you’re all doing OK & here’s to a positive strong SE free new week! ?

Still wondering how Macky is…? Hope you’re OK M!!! Xxx

Sending love & hugs to everyone. B xx

Hi Briteside and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support and shared experiences here, please do feel free to call our helpliners to talk through any concerns or queries, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

Here’s a link to the BCC ‘Younger women’ support and information which you may also find helpful :

breastcancercare.org.uk/younger-women

Take care
Lucy BCC

They don’t like false nails due to infection being able to get under them, and as you have to soak them off every few weeks with acetone to get them replaced, when i have TAX the acetone could cause them to be in a worse state and they can fall off apparently ! I have got some dark gel style polish to cover them as that’ does help I believe . Also lymph nurse hates them as she says the buffing and filing can damage cuticles and this can start issues as I have had lymph node clearance …,they can’t make you take them off but the advice is to take them off and the evidence against them seems to be stacking up! ? still haven’t done it yet though ??
Re the wig I got mine ‘off the shelf’ real hair my colour and they told me hair usually starts to fall out 17 days after first chemo but it’s gradual so to call them if/when this starts and to go in and they will shave my head they cut and style the wig I brought to be the same as my hair so I look the same …,she told me not to panic as I will have time to sort I wont just wake up bald one day. Hope it goes well for you Wednesday … I felt loads better after I got good advice from people who do this all the time xx

Hey lovely ladies ?

Have just been reading all your posts of yesterday. It’s just so lovely & comforting to see how we are all supporting one another through our various concerns/experiences. 

As you’ll have probably already realised, I am yet to start my treatment so am embracing all your posts in readiness. I know you’ll all be there for me when I start & I just want to say how wonderfully positive & secure that makes me feel. Thank you!! ?

Briteside - welcome to our thread. Hope you find it as helpful as I do. I start my chemo on 22nd August so am enjoying a couple of weeks of hospital free visits (fingers crossed) until my pre-chemo appointment on 21st. 

Hope everyone has as good a day as possible with worries & SE’s at a minimum.

Sending love & hugs ???

Bevster xx

Hi I too am new to this forum. I start my chemo on Thursday. I found I had BC back in March and had a lumpectomy in April they found cancer in one of the lymph nodes so I had to go back in May to have the rest removed. I have a few problems as I got breast cellulitis which put me back in hospital hence the delay in starting chemo. I have sorted out a wig for myself as the thought of loosing my hair is giving me sleepless nights. Feeling anxious as to what will happen on Thursday and how I will feel when I get home. It has been good being able to read everyone’s experiences on this forum.

Hi Bali2001 I haven’t been for an induction not sure if they do that in my area Derbyshire. I go for my blood test tomorrow at my own GP. It will be good to compare notes as we start chemo on the same day. Hope all goes well. Love Denise x

Hello everyone. Hope you’ve got room for a little one to join too? I’m due to start chemotherapy next Wednesday 11th Aug and am starting to feel really anxious. I’ve been reading posts for a few weeks and have finally found the courage to post a message. The support all you ladies give to each other does really make you feel “you are not alone”. I’m learning that by sharing our experiences it does help others.

Much love to all of you. Xx

Hi Toria42 you are very welcome here

In addition to the support you will find here please feel free to call our helpliners, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2 on 0808 800 6000 and our team are here with information and practical / emotional support for you

Here’s a link to the ‘I am having treatment’ area of the site where you will find lots of information and more support ideas from BCC which I hope you will find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Alijay…pleased to hear you’re doing OK hunnie. Keep up the good work! :relaxed:

Toria - welcome to the thread. I hope it helps you as much as it’s helping me. We have some lovely ladies on here all on the same/similar journey. I wish you good luck for the 11th. Stay strong & positive ?

Bali & Niceemee - Hope you’re both having a good day today in readiness for your treatment tomorrow. Wishing you both the best of luck…I’ll be thinking about you both ? 

Note to all - Just letting you know that I am going away on holiday tomorrow eve until Saturday 16th (hol has been 5years in the planning, for my friend’s 40th birthday so am going to enjoy it before my chemo starts!)  I’m hoping to still be able to get online to keep up to date on your posts etc but may not be on here as regularly during my break. Suffice to say, I will be thinking of you all & for those of you starting chemo…sending much love & best wishes!! ?

Speak soon. With love…B xx ??

Thank you to everyone for your warm welcome. :slight_smile:

alijay so pleased to hear your doing so well after your first cycle. At the moment that’s my biggest fear, really hoping I have minimal side effects, I’m expecting the worst and hoping for the best. Will certainly try drinking loads of water as suggested, I’ve read that a few times now! Hope you continue to do well :slight_smile:

Mel66 I’ve just returned from a last minute break with the family and I managed to put the BC In a box and shelve it as you say, for a few days, it does definitely help and I hope you can do the same. Hope Bertha doesn’t cause you any trouble when camping, I reckon I’ll be following the weather report now and thinking of you! What regime are you starting on the 19th. Mines FEC, and yep I feel like saying Fekkit too lol! Just wondering how comes you’ve managed to organise a PICC line already, do you have trouble with veins?

Bevster I hope you too enjoy your holiday and your friends 40th birthday celebrations they’ll be lots of belly laughs for sure. I also liked the thought of a holiday warming up my bones in prep for what’s to come. Have fun and l hope you’ll be able to give us all a good laugh with holiday tales upon your return!

Bali2001, I am planning on dying my hair dark red/ burgundy this week and cutting into a “Frankie” from the Saturdays style. I’ve always liked it but have never been brave enough to do it. I already cut it into a short bob from long and blonde (highlights not natural lol) just a week ago. I’ve opted out of the cold cap so am fully expecting to lose all my hair. From what I’ve read it’ll be around 2 weeks after first cycle. Before this happens I’m gonna have it cut again into a pixie cut then of course …out will come the clippers … and tears. Luckily my best friend is a hairdresser :). I have just read that back and yep I do think I’ve gone nuts! I honestly hope that all goes well for you tomorrow, I think we will all be thinking of you.

Finally, I hope I’ve done this right it’s taken me ages to type up,lol. I feel quite emotional knowing we’re all in the same boat. But it’s comforting to know that there is so much support on here for all of us.

Have a good evening,

Toria. Xx

Hi Bev and Mel hope you both have a really good holiday. It will do you good to get away and hopefully try not to think too much about having chemo. I have got one booked in Norfolk at the end of this month just hoping I will be well enough to go.
Hi Toria welcome to the forum I was like you and had read lots of posts before I plucked up the courage to join. I’m so glad I did as I have picked up so many tips from everyone in readiness for my first FEC session tomorrow.
Glad your first chemo session went ok for you Ali hope it continues and you don’t have all the horrid SE that we all read about.
Bali I too had blonde hair and had it died darker just in case my hair doesn’t fall out. (Fingers crossed) I kept thinking 6 months and not being able to do my roots the dark roots would look horrendous. Now I am going to pour myself a nice cold glass of Rose to calm my nerves then drink lots of cold water in readiness for tomorrow’s first session. Good luck for tomorrow I hope it’s not as bad as what we think it’s going to be.
Ps will let you all know how it goes tomorrow

Thanks ladies & good luck!!! ?

Just having a cold fruit cider…cheers & bottoms up everyone???

Love B xx

Thank you to everyone for your warm welcome. :slight_smile:

alijay so pleased to hear your doing so well after your first cycle. At the moment that’s my biggest fear, really hoping I have minimal side effects, I’m expecting the worst and hoping for the best. Will certainly try drinking loads of water as suggested, I’ve read that a few times now! Hope you continue to do well :slight_smile:

Mel66 I’ve just returned from a last minute break with the family and I managed to put the BC In a box and shelve it as you say, for a few days, it does definitely help and I hope you can do the same. Hope Bertha doesn’t cause you any trouble when camping, I reckon I’ll be following the weather report now and thinking of you! What regime are you starting on the 19th. Mines FEC, and yep I feel like saying Fekkit too lol! Just wondering how comes you’ve managed to organise a PICC line already, do you have trouble with veins?

Bevster I hope you too enjoy your holiday and your friends 40th birthday celebrations they’ll be lots of belly laughs for sure. I also liked the thought of a holiday warming up my bones in prep for what’s to come. Have fun and l hope you’ll be able to give us all a good laugh with holiday tales upon your return!

Bali2001, I am planning on dying my hair dark red/ burgundy this week and cutting into a “Frankie” from the Saturdays style. I’ve always liked it but have never been brave enough to do it. I already cut it into a short bob from long and blonde (highlights not natural lol) just a week ago. I’ve opted out of the cold cap so am fully expecting to lose all my hair. From what I’ve read it’ll be around 2 weeks after first cycle. Before this happens I’m gonna have it cut again into a pixie cut then of course …out will come the clippers … and tears. Luckily my best friend is a hairdresser :). I have just read that back and yep I do think I’ve gone nuts! I honestly hope that all goes well for you tomorrow, I think we will all be thinking of you.

Finally, I hope I’ve done this right it’s taken me ages to type up,lol. I feel quite emotional knowing we’re all in the same boat. But it’s comforting to know that there is so much support on here for all of us.

Have a good evening,

Toria. Xx

Hi Bali yes first one over, it wasn’t as bad as I thought, the cannula being fitted was the worst part it was quite painful. We were running an hour behind shortage of staff so all in all it has been a long day. I feel a bit light headed not sure if that’s normal so I have had 2 paracetamol, I think I might have an early night. You will have to let me know how you get on with the cold cap as I decided against it. Hope everyone else is ok xx

Didn’t have a very good night, had really bad woozy head and felt as if I wanted to go to the loo all the time checked my temp which was 35.3 so I rang the emergency no and they put my mind at rest saying the head would eventually feel better it is a reaction to all the chemicals being put into the body. My temp was normal. I only cat napped all night and all I wanted was to sleep so that I wouldn’t feel like I did. I feel like a bit of a wimp. Taken my anti sickness tablet this morning as feeling a bit sick, my face is also flushed but temp ok not sure if this is normal. Hope you had a good night Bali I was thinking about you last night and wondering how you were feeling.
Have a good holiday Mel. xxx

It would have been a laugh to see you in your cold cap. I have had to have some ginger biscuits today as feeling a bit sicky. I also still feel spaced out and very emotional today. I think I have held it in for so long and now I just want to cry all the time. Take care love D xxx