Understanding risk, evidence, research, statistics

The thing about statistics is . . . . . . . . that statistically, our chances of getting just about any disease, or dying in any particular way are way in our favour (ie it is far more likely that we won’t get whatever than that we will). However, given the number of diseases that there are and ways that we may die, statistically, one of these is going to get us. So, although we got the short straw for breast cancer, bear in mind that we DID NOT get loads of other nasty diseases and we haven’t been killed/maimed/injured in a car accident etc.

Just another way of looking at it from a different perspective and it always makes me feel better that I drew the short straw for breast cancer rather than something much, much nastier, even though statistically, I too did not have any of the risk factors (but remember that healthy diet, breast feeding etc only REDUCE the risk, not remove it totally.

Does that help, or simply confuse?

Wynthorpe (who studied statistics as part of a business degree but still gets confused over Chi tests etc!)

Hi Joy I have started a new thread for you as I think your post would have been lost in this one. Hopefully, you will get more replies this way.
Kind Regards
BCCModerator

Statistics I agree entirely with Jane. Thanks for the statistics info, Christine.

BCC,

We need to understand statistics to make sense of research. Any chance of either producing a web page on stats or including it at meetings?

Regards,

Sue