Visit to Surgeon...

Visit to Surgeon…

Visit to Surgeon… HI Girls

I finished treatment in April and I have already had one visit to see my oncologist for a check up now I am due the 3 months visit to see my surgeon. I am getting very nervous and just wondered if anyone could tell me what they do on they do on these check up visits. Is it the same as the visit to the oncologist.

Its all I can do to stop myself being sick and getting wound up about this. What a woosy I am!!

Thanks

Debbie x

hello Debbie I had my first check up with the surgeon last week - I had my op in March and finished my treatment in July. I had had my first check up with the onc the week before and it was basically the same, asking how I was, were there any problems and having a good feel round. I was dreading that they might do a mammogram as I’m still quite sore after the rads but I was told they will do the first one in six months time. Don’t worry, after all the treatment the check up was a doddle!

Good luck anyway, hope it goes well

Nicky x

Hi Deb’s Debbie you are no WOOSY!!!

Love Janet xx

Definitely not a woosy I have had check ups every three months since my treatment finished in August 2004. Alternate onc and surgeon. Both feel around my mastectomy site, check other breast, examine abdomen, listen to chest and ask questions about my general health. I loathe check ups…I am always terrfied that something will be found…I usually have vague symptoms to report (a bit of a cough a few times, hiccoughs, wondering if scar lumpy…). I know that most recurrences are not found at check ups but going to them reminds me of the terror of diagnosis and the possibility of future disaster.

I always feel mightily relieved afterwards…and then start worrying again a few weeks (or more recently days) before check up. In August got moved ot 6 month check ups which is a relief.

I also have an annual mammogram and ultrasound of ‘good’ breast.

Hope your visit goes well. The relief (or reprieve as it feels to me) is always just great. I like reassurance even though I know it doesn’t mean a lot.

Jane

Hurray! Yesterday saw me heading off for my check up. Despite feeling OK and having checked on a regular basis without finding anything, I was a complete nervous wreck! This time not too bad until the day before, and then I really went to pieces and through all the “what ifs”.
The mammo’s are all digitised now, and I clearly saw a suspect small shadow. During the following wait in OP my knees were actually knocking, and I can’t remember that having happened since I was about 12 and in the school choir!
Of course it was actually nothing and exactly the same small shadow - actually scar tissue - was present on the last 2 mammo’s.
The relief was enormous, and I felt absolutely drained really just with the relief.
I guess we all go through this.
Good health to all.

Hurray! Yesterday saw me heading off for my check up. Despite feeling OK and having checked on a regular basis without finding anything, I was a complete nervous wreck! This time not too bad until the day before, and then I really went to pieces and through all the “what ifs”.
The mammo’s are all digitised now, and I clearly saw a suspect small shadow. During the following wait in OP my knees were actually knocking, and I can’t remember that having happened since I was about 12 and in the school choir!
Of course it was actually nothing and exactly the same small shadow - actually scar tissue - was present on the last 2 mammo’s.
The relief was enormous, and I felt absolutely drained really just with the relief.
I guess we all go through this.
Good health to all.