Waiting results

Waiting results

Waiting results Hi everyone. I have just discovered this website and the comments made by users has been really helpful and reassuring. I had a mammogram on 1 May, recalled for biopsy on 14 May and am now awaiting results on 30 May. Looking at what everyone else had said, this is the worse time.
My partner is being really supportive but I haven’t told my family as I don’t want them to worry incase it’s a false alarm. I’m feeling very confused about the range of emotions I am feeling at present; fear, sadness, disbelief, self pity; I’m sure you all know about these feelings. This is the longest fortnight of my life.
How do you all cope?

Its day by day ,all of us worry but the support on here is so comforting keep logging on and reading other posts then you know all these feelings are felt by all ,the days will pass keep your chin up

Hi Elizabeth Hi Elizabeth,

so glad you have found this website, its been a godsend to me since I was diagnosed in march. Firstly I want to wish you well for your results on weds, I really hope the news for you is good. I am having my 2nd chemo on that day but will be thinking of you.

Waiting for results is just a nightmare isn’t it?! The hospital I am under is one of the fast track ones where you have all the tests and get the results in the same day. After my gp referred me I only had to wait a week to be seen at the clinic but this was the longest week ever!! Initially I only told my boyfriend as, like you, I didn’t want to worry my family unecessarily. As the week went on though I started to get more and more stressed out and my mum picked up on this so I ended up breaking down and telling her! I am now really glad I did as in my case it sadly wasn’t a false alarm. Not to worry though, onwards and upwards, and all that. I’m being treated now so thats the main thing.

I definately enjoyed a glass or 3 of wine in the week before my appt!! Had the odd cigar too, although don’t want to encourage you to become an alcoholic smoker! I stopped visiting this site initially as I couldn’t face the fact of what the tests might show, as we all know what they’re looking for when they do these tests. Anyway, soon went back on this site and found the women were an inspiration and a great help.

Anyway, take care of yourself and try to enjoy the bank holiday weekend as much as possible (I know I will be!). Best of luck for weds and be sure to let us know how you get on. Give us a shout if you need anything in the meantime,

Luv,

Kelly
-x-

Hugs Elizabeth.

the hardest part is the waiting, I was diagnosed last December, once I knew I felt I was in control and coped much better then I thought I would.

Lets hope your results will be good news.

Will be thinking of you on the 30th…please keep us posted on how you get on.

Hugs Val.

Hi Elizabeth,

You’ve heard this before, but the waiting is hell, once you know what you are (or are not) dealing with it is so much easier.

I was diagnosed four years ago, and have recently had another nightmare waiting time as the consultant found a lump in my other breast during my check-up. It was no easier the second time around, in fact it was probably worse having a little knowledge!

It turned out to be benign, but both times I felt much better once I knew what was going on.

To get through the waiting, keep busy, do all the things you like best, pamper yourself, what ever gets you through this horrible time. I’m not averse to the odd glass or two of wine either.

Probably best not to read up too much on BC, if you are anything like me you will convince yourself that all the worst possible scenarios are about to happen to you.

Fingers crossed for you, keep us posted.

Hugs, CM

Waiting Plan nice things…even little nice things, even short nice things, give yourself treats.

Also plan talk time with your partner…allow yourself to go the worst fantasies. My partner and I sometimes have 30 minutes wallow time when we allow ourselves to talk the fears, cry, rage, whatever. But time limit it and then do something nice.

It will be hard but you will feel proud how you manage…we all do whatver the results.

Good luck and best wishes

Jane

Hi Elizabeth

I didn’t have to wait for my initial results as I went to a one-stop clinic where they give the results the same day.

However, following my diagnosis of cancer, I had various tests and two spots showed up on my liver. I had to have a liver scan and wait a week for the results. I ended up in a complete state and had a panic attack for the first time in my life. My sister had to come and pick me up and pour lots of wine down my throat.

In my case it helped to talk about my fears which, for me, was that the cancer had spread. Fortunately it hadn’t and the two spots turned out to be hepatic cysts.

I understand that you don’t want to worry anyone but a problem shared really is a problem halved. My immediate family and a couple of close friends knew about my initial referral and, in a sense, it helps them prepare for the possibility of bad news.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that it turns out to be nothing serious.

Love

Lola x

Hi all, many thanks for all your comments and support, they were all really helpful.
Results are in; bad news I’m afraid in as much as it’s cancer, however the good news is that it’s 16mm, grade 2, and hormone responsive (which is a good thing, I am informed).
Have an appointment with the surgeon today at 2.50 to discuss what happens now. I will speak to my family today, not looking forward to that.
As everyone has said, you almost feel better when you know, even if it is bad news. It gives you something concrete to work with.
I am feeling very positve and know I am alot luckier than some.
I can only say how grateful I am for the routine mammogram, as the lump would have not been discovered so soon.
Kind thoughts to all,
Elizabeth x

Sorry Hi Elizabeth,

So sorry to hear your news. You will get so much support on this site and it does help us all get through this dreadful disease.

I know how you feel about feeling better now that you have the results, Knowledge is power!! even though its not the news you wanted. Now you are already on the road to recovery.

My lump was also grade 2 and 2cm, and oestrogen+. I had WLE and am now on Chemo (FEC), then radiotherapy and tamoxifen for five years.

Keep us posted as to how you get on and what treatment you have.

We are all here whenever you need us.

Love
SusieXX

Hi Elizabeth Hi Elizabeth,

I have been keeping an eye out for any posts by you as I knew you were getting your results yesterday. So sorry your news was not so good and you have had to join us. I’m sure you have already found though that this website can be a great source of support as we are all in the same boat. I guess we’ll be seeing you on the newly diagnosed pages now. I still post on them, even though I was diagnosed in march! I’ve now been promoted to the ‘undergoing treatment’ pages too! Woohoo!!

Please let us know how it went with the surgeon today. I wonder if you will behaving a wle or a mastectomy? I wish you well when you speak to your family later. It can be a nightmare telling family and friends and I’ve no doubt you will get the full range of reactions! One of my friends burst into tears and put the phone down! Thankfully she rang straight back though.

Take care and let us know how you are doing and whats happening next,

Kelly
-x-

Dear Elizabeth I am sorry to hear of your recent diagnosis. I am sure you will continue to receive lots of helpful advice and support from your fellow forum users, in addition, you are welcome to contact our freephone helpline on 0808 800 6000 where you are able to talk to someone in confidence about how you are feeling at the moment. The line is open Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm, Saturdays 9am - 2pm

Breast Cancer Care have recently published a Resources Pack which you may find helpful to read, it is filled with information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. You can download it from the following link or you can ask for a copy to be sent to you via the helpline:

breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind Regards
Forum Host
Breast Cancer Care