Watchful wait - anyone had to have review, very concerned

Hi all,

Have been lingering for a week or so and and reading all the posts so Hi everyone! Would appreciate advce :smileysad:

i discovered a largish (slightly smaller than a walnut) hard fixed lump in the upper outer area of my breast about 2 months ago, waited to see if it disappeared and when it didn’t visited GP who referred me to one stop clinic.

At Clinic, Doctor did exam and said that she didnt think that the lump was anything to be concerned about she didnt think a mammogram would pick it up as its outside the area of my breast (nearly where your underwire in your bra ends) but ordered one anyway and an ultrasound im 40 years old.

The mammo was clear and the ultrasound didn’t show anything. The person who did the ultrasound was very brisque and simply said ‘i see nothing’ i know i should have been more foreceful with her. to start with i cant even feel it when i lie on my side only when i raise my arm behind head. when i came home i knew i should have asked her to scan me sitting up. I went back to the breast doctor and she advised me to take evening primrose oil and return in 3 months, that was 3 weeks ago. i am really anxious, the lump isn’t going anywhere and im concerned the scan really didn’t look properly. I cant understand how they couldnt see something which was hard and relatively big.

I am considering going for a private US although i cant afford it. Was anyone else advised to watch and wait?

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

While you are waiting for replies, I have put for you below links to some of BCC’s publications you might find helpful. Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis-treatment-future-bcc44

Hi mumof3crazies,

It sounds to me like you definitely haven’t had your mind put at rest, and as far as breast lumps and bumps are concerned, we all need to have our minds put at rest so we know what we’re dealing with and can get on with our lives.

Because you are young, it’s possible that you have dense breast tissue, which makes it difficult for things to bee seen on a mammogram. I know this from personal experience as nothing showed on mine. So ultrasound is the best way to spot anything.

If you feel the radiographer didn’t examine you thoroughly enough, or may have missed something because of the position you were in, I would go back to your GP, explain your issue, and ask for another referral. The worst thing is to be left feeling uncertain!!

When you have another ultrasound, allow them to do what they do, business as usual, and then tell them how you would like them to examine you, and that the lump is more noticeable in a sitting up position etc. And don’t leave until they have examined that area to YOUR satisfaction.

If the lump is made up of normal breast tissue which has calcified or hardened, it is possible that it won’t show up, as the scan won’t differentiate between the normal tissue and the hardened tissue, as they’re made of the same cells. Hope I’ve explained that properly!!

I really think it’s in your best interests to get another appointment, as you won’t rest easy until you are satisfied 100% that everything has been checked properly.

Take care, love Mel. xxx