Weekly Northampton Meet-Up - Starts 14/05/10

Vicky & some of the friends she has made up at our local hospice are starting a group session there every Friday starting on the 14th.
I’ll get full details up shortly but if I remember correctly it’s in the day centre between 11am & 3pm at the Cynthia Spencer Hospice, Kettering Road NN3 6NP.

Although Vicky has bc with mets, the group is for anyone with cancer. So if you know people that may be interested then please pass on the details :slight_smile:

Thanks & best wishes, Stuart

I live in Northampton, can I come and join you?
Anne

Hi Anne,

Of course, look out for yellow posters for Palliative Pals at the hospice and surgeries.

Stuart

I have been asked to point out that the group is for anyone in palliative care only as that was a specific requirement when the arrangements were made with the hospice.

Hi Stuart

Can you confirm if this group is still going ahead?

I think it would be of benefit for a friend who has secondary breast cancer. I see that it is for “anyone in palliative care” is that as staying in the hospital at the moment or recieivng support in some form from Cynthia or am I on the wrong track completely???

Also would like to have a bit more information so I can share it with them e.g. will it cost, is it just to chat, can they bring a friend/partner if worried on the first time going to a new place.

Look forward to hearing from you. You can Private Message me if you want.

Jo

Hi Jo,

Group starts in the day hospice at 11am on Friday 14th May. It’s for anyone receiving palliative care and, to be blunt, a terminal diagnosis. (see my earlier post)

Cost wise, next to nothing as far as I’m aware. I know that Vicky has had a couple of donations from family to buy coffee, t-bags etc; Laura has organised a fund-raiser with a few friends and Carrie has been working hard on the pamplets.

The whole idea of starting the group grew out of a 12 week trial that was run at the hospice. When that finished it left a number of attendees wanting something else to fill its place and what started off as a get together in the hospice cafe has now turned into this :slight_smile:

I’ll double check with Vicky but I can’t see a reason why your friend couldn’t bring someone along initially. The group isn’t restricted by cancer or gender so I doubt she’ll be alone in that until she feels more comfortable.

Stuart

Stuart

Thanks for the speedy reply. I shall pass the information on.

Jo

Thanks Jo.
Hopefully they can start small and get more people interested as things go on.
Stuart

Well the group have now had their first couple of meetings and it all seems to be coming together :slight_smile:

Hi i am moving back to Northampton in the next couple of months so my children will be near my family during this difficult time. I wonder if you would let me know if i may join you as i do not know of anyone in a similar position. Thank you. Dawn.

Hi Dawn,
I’ll have to find out from the other organisers what’s going on up at the hospice at the moment as the group has stopped in its current form. I know that something else is starting up but Vicky has been unwell for the last couple of months so we haven’t been involved.
Stuart

Is the group re-starting as nobody has told me this.

Hi Anne,

Not in the same form. Don’t quote me on this but I believe it’s being amalgamated into another group but I don’t know enough to be able to give any more details. I’ll talk to Vicky & Pat (Vicky’s Mum) and see what they’ve heard from Laura & Carrie.

Hi Stuart. Thanks for replying. I would be most grateful if you would let me know. Dawn.

Thanks Stuart, I guess it will be the other group that carry on and want to meet, that is what they thought might happen.
I have not been to the hospice for a while as they have stopped my Zometa.
I have not driven to Northampton and back for ages and I am not sure if I could do it now.
Send my love to Vicky and her mum
Anne

Hi Dawn,
Watch this space, I am sure Stuart will post when he hears what is going on
Anne

Will do Anne.
No update as yet due to working Saturday and sorting out some legal stuff yesterday. Vicky’s had a crappy weekend and night nurses are suggesting she be admitted to the hospice for a couple of days. I’ll speak to Pat tonight and should have an update tomorrow though.
Stuart

Sorry to hear Vicky is not well and might have to have some time in the hospice. Please send my love to her, I often wonder how she is.
Anne

Will do Anne, she’s been on a syringe driver since getting out of the hospice in February but it’s all just palliative now.

Anyway, I spoke to Pat and she’s under the impression that the group is being amalgamated into the Wednesday group but she’s going to speak to Laura & Carrie when they pop over to see Vicky at the weekend to get confirmation.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, guessed that is what they might consider doing.
Anne