Weight loss - Primary breast cancer diagnosis

Hi,

I got diagnosed with primary breast cancer in feb, have had a mastectomy & am now beginning chemo. I’m 38, it’s all been so overwhelming.

I have been losing weight since December (prior to diagnosis) steadily and have mentioned this to the breast nurses who said they don’t think it’s anything to do with the breast cancer, the gp who thinks it’s down to stress, but I’m not convinced. I think there’s something else going on but no one is taking any notice.

But I just wondered has anyone else found this happened to them? I can’t seem to fathom what’s going on. I’m eating fine, thankfully got a good appetite still at the moment. Not sleeping at all well though. A couple of hours here and there. 

Thanks x

Hi J_M_C,  

Thanks for posting. 

It’s understandable that things feel overwhelming for you since your diagnosis in February.  

It’s good to hear that you have a good appetite and are eating well. However, as your weight loss has been continuing since December, we would always suggest you talk this through with your treatment team, as you have done. It may be related to stress, but as you think there is something else going on, are you able to talk to your oncologist about this or see a different GP? 

We hear from many people who find their sleep is disturbed after a diagnosis of breast cancer and there are many reasons that may cause this including stress and anxiety. More information on ways to help improve your sleep can be foundhere

At Breast Cancer Now we have support designed specifically for younger women who like you are 45 and under with primary breast cancer including: 

• Younger Women Together  -  a one-day face to face event that takes place in locations across the UK 
  • Younger Women Together Online  - a four-week series of small group talks via Zoom  
  • Younger Women Together Webinars  - live talks are given by expert speakers via Zoom webinar  

More information about any of these events and how to register can be found here

Talking to someone who has had a similar experience can also be helpful and our Someone Like Me service can arrange for you to talk with another young woman who has personal experience of breast cancer and understands what you are going through.  

The Younger Breast Cancer Network (YBCN) is a private Facebook group run by young women for young women (under 45) who’ve had breast cancer. To join, go to Facebook and search ‘Younger Breast Cancer Network’ and send them a private message.  

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001). 

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form t** icking the box agreeing to a call back.** 

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.  

We are closed Monday the 29th May for the bank holiday. 

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.  

We are currently evaluating this service and would appreciate your feedback. Please click here to the survey. It should take approximately 10 minutes to complete.  

Best wishes 

Victoria 

Breast Care Nurse 

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer  Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy  

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.