Weird pain after double mastectomy and temporary implants - advice?

Hi All

This is my first post on the site as I’ve been a lurker for the last few months.

I was diagnosed with widespread/high grade DCIS in June. I had a skin sparing double mx (left risk reducing) on 24th August with immediate temporising implants and I was wondering whether the weird and odd sensations I am experiencing are normal. It feels like when you have mega pins and needles and then you come out of it and it hurts. I’m taking paracetamol and ibuprofen which isn’t really helping a great deal. I am due to see the consultant on Wednesday 12th as I will be 2 1/2 weeks post surgery and I still have the same dressings on from the op (they didn’t want them changed). I should get the results of SNLB and all the histology then too, including the healthy breast tissue from my left breast!

I am hoping to get referred on Wednesday to the PS for a DIEP recon and I am hoping to have this done May/June next year.

I am happy with the shape of my temporary boobs but it does feel a lot more painful than it did a week ago. The pain and how it feels is actually making me feel a bit unwell. I don’t have a temp or anything so I don’t think I’ve got an infection or anything! I’m guessing that it’s the nerves knitting back together and everything healing. I can’t bear to have my bra on anymore because it feels so sensitive.

Any advice would be very appreciated!

Viv xxx

Dear Viv

Welcome to the BCC Forum. I am sure other members will soon be along to offer you some advice and support.

You could also give our Helpline a call to talk over your concerns. They are open from 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays. The number is 0808 800 6000

Take care

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Facilitator

Hi Viv,
I am sorry you have had to go through such major surgery and hope you are doing okay.
While I think only you know your body and if you are at all worried, you must seek advice, I would say it is very early days still. I found never pain got worse (different from the pain after surgery) before it got better. I would say the pins and needles and strange sensations sound like nerve pain- a bit like burning? I think ibuprofen is better than paracetmol for this as its an anti-inflammatory.
You say the pain is making you feel unwell though? Everyone’s pain threshold different. Could it be the effects of the surgery? I would keep an eye on your temp. If it goes to 38 degrees, seek help. Also, redness.
Like I said, its very early days in terms of healing and take into account its a big op. Lots of rest and tlc
BTW- I had bilateral masetcomies with temp implants in Feb!
Good luck with the results of the scans.
Rattles x

Thanks Rattles! I think where I was so numb after the surgery, it’s where the sensation is coming back! I have been wearing a post surgery bra since the op 24 hours a day and couldn’t bear it any longer last night so I slept with it off! I haven’t worn it today either as the sensitivity is almost unbearable. The surgeon said 2 weeks so that was yesterday! I haven’t seen anyone since surgery and the dressings are the same ones as they put on after surgery! Gosh it’s all such a worry isn’t it?

Thanks again, I’ll keep an eye on things and ring NHS direct if I’m worried!

Viv xxx

Hi hun. i had a double mx 3 weeks ago. i had funny pains but they’ve nearly all gone now. its hard to explain but on the bits that were numb it started to feel like i had a bad graze. like id gone kidding across the pavement and cut all my skin. when that feeling subsided i had the feeling back in that area.

wishing you a speedy recovery x x x

Hi Had a single mastectomy on Monday 3rd with temp implant. Must say so far thankfully, and I don’t say that lightly, am ok. My surgeon thought a double lumpectomy would sort me out but unfortunately didn’t but know when recovering from that the rule of feeling better each day just didn’t hold true. How your boobs felt the pain changed daily and still have strange twinges in my right boob that hasn’t been touched since mid July. One thing I have learnt is make sure you tell your medical team what you are feeling until you get an answer you are happy with. They might of had years of medical experience but only you know how your body feels and needs a suitable answer as to why. Take care and hope those words of ‘you are all clear’ ring out soon for you.

Thanks Amylou, thought I was going nuts. Have you or are you going to have reconstruction?

Viv xxx