What Price A Life

Below is a copy of a letter which I sent to the local paper here in North Herts. As a result they contacted me and wanted to do an article. Well they have done that as the article is the front page headline, so more support for Breast Awareness I hope.

This is the letter:-

WHAT PRICE A LIFE?

I was horrified and disgusted to read that the Tory NHDC are responsible for stopping the Breast Screening Units in Hitchin from being located in any of the car parks.Their reason apparently is that they would lose income from the parking spaces!!

In May this year I was called for a routine mammogram and was surprised it was located at Coreys Mill,Stevenage. As I work in the Industrial area of Hitchin and I don’t drive, I opted to go by taxi both ways to lessen my time off work. This at a cost of £20.00. I am lucky as I can afford this but what about other women. Mammograms are available between the ages of 50 and 70.so if an OAP can’t afford a taxi, they would have go get a bus from town or maybe two, depending on where they live. Hard luck then if they are not very mobile. It makes me wonder how many women will not go for these very reasons.

As it happens, as a result of my mammogram I was diagnosed with early breast cancer and have since had an operation to remove the tumour and am now undergoing radiotherapy treatment.

Had I not been able to go for my mammogram-who knows? I may not have been here to write this letter!

Hitchin Council- get your act together, you have already lost my vote and hopefully a few more now. What price a life?

tHE COUNCILS RESPONSE ACCORDING TO THE ARTICLE IF THAT BECAUSE OF THE AMOUNT CAR PARK SPACES THE UNITS TAKE UP, IT WOULD LOSE THEM £5000 OVER A 15 WEEKS PERIOD!!!

Divide that by the number of lives that may have saved in one area and you can what our lives are worth to them!

Well done Norma on a brilliant article. Councils are unbelievable. I hope that they have a conscience and are deeply ashamed of the decision that they have made.

Hi Normski

When I read articles like this I just get so angry! I just hope that none of the local councillors never have to make the choice between money and a life saving mammogram. Well done to you for writing to your local paper.

Thistle

Well done Normski

Let the council hang its head in shame, it sounds as if the members are fortunate enough not to have anyone in their family diagnosed with BC else you bet your bottom dollar that decision would not have been made.

Its good that people like you are proactive in bringing issues to light.

Good Luck in getting the decision reversed.

Thanks on behalf of all of us and those yet to use the screening unit.
Carol

Hi Girls

Thanks for your input, but more letters please! I will not let this issue go and want to sent as many letters to the local paper as possible from all areas. Please help.

Norma X

Hi Norma,

Do you have a council email address we can send letter to?

Not at present but I will search tomorrow.

Girls

I will contact local paper again tomorrow with our letters.

Are the Councillors all men by any chance? No-one wants to wish breast cancer on any other woman but sometimes it is only by having personal experience that promotes any action being taken. The Council are there to look after their constituents to the best of their ability - clearly they are failing in their duties. It just makes you wonder if it meant a member of their own family (wife, mother, daughter, sister etc) missing out on this facility and then getting breast cancer at a later stage would it mean a whole different approach to breast screening services in your area.

No amount of money is worth a life.

Love K