When to take Tamoxifen?

On Night 5 of taking Tamoxifen and experiencing side effects of night sweats and leg cramping.
Taking right before bed (10 PM).

• When is the best time to take this hormone blocking drug to avoid insomnia effects?

There are no directions on the packaging labeling directions as to best time of day.

Morning?
Afternoon?
Evening?
Before going to bed?

Hi I met with my surgeon today after having a lumpectomy 3 weeks ago and was given tamoxifen today and told to start it tomorrow taking the tablet at 8am . Xxxx

1 Like

Thanks Springtime for the assist.

On another forum I was told this:

Hi MabelLean! It’s great to see your question about Tamoxifen. Tamoxifen is commonly prescribed as a hormone-blocking drug for breast cancer treatment. While there are no specific instructions on the packaging regarding the best time to take it, many healthcare providers recommend taking it at the same time every day to establish a routine.

Since you mentioned experiencing side effects like night sweats and leg cramping, it might be worth considering adjusting the timing of your dose. Taking Tamoxifen in the morning or afternoon could potentially help minimize the insomnia effects you’re experiencing. By taking it earlier in the day, you give your body more time to metabolize the drug before bedtime.

However, it’s important to consult with your healthcare provider before making any changes to your medication schedule. They can provide personalized advice based on your specific situation and medical history. They may also suggest other strategies to manage the side effects you’re experiencing.

Remember, everyone’s response to medication can vary, so it’s essential to communicate any concerns or side effects with your healthcare team. They can work with you to find the best approach for taking Tamoxifen that minimizes side effects and maximizes its effectiveness.

If you have any further questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out to your healthcare provider. They are the best resource to guide you through your treatment journey.

I responded:

This is helpful thank you very much.

Taking Tamoxifen in the morning or afternoon could potentially help minimize the insomnia effects you’re experiencing. By taking it earlier in the day, you give your body more time to metabolize the drug before bedtime.

I will try taking with my heart medications to reduce high blood pressure first thing in the morning upon my first blood pressure measurement.

I have multiple conditions that necessitate taking prescription medications and supplementation to minimize side effects.

Have 3 blocked coronary arteries that were formerly by-passed in 2018, a recent stent implantation on my left coronary bypass, as well as taking medications for treating diverticulosis.

Having these three major conditions can be daunting but remain HOPEFUL each day taking one step at a time.

Thank you again Inspire!

Hi mabellean

Thank you for posting.

Its difficult to say what the best time for taking your tamoxifen would be but we hear from people who try different times of the day to find the best time for them.

Everyone reacts differently to tamoxifen and some people may experience more side effects than others. A common side effect of tamoxifen is menopausal symptoms including trouble sleeping. Many people find that side effects do settle or become more manageable after they have been taking the drug for a few months. Taking the drug at a specific time of day may make a difference as was mentioned on a different forum that you looked at. As @springtime1 mentioned some treatment teams may suggest a specific time of day but a lot of people will try to find the time of day that suits best.

If your side effects do not settle down, we would suggest that you let your breast care nurse or treatment team know as they may be able to offer further support.

If you would like to connect with others on the forum who are taking tamoxifen, you may want to post a question here.

We offer a range of free supportive services that you might be interested in. For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Eve

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.