Worried about lack of treatment plan for stage 4/her2 pos/er+

Thank you Herbgarden. I don’t think I have misinterpreted or misrepresented the studies findings.

When I described the findings of the study you refer to, I thought I had explained it’s findings quite carefully. I said the study had concluded that advanced BC is treated less aggressively in the UK than a number of other developed countries, and that this less aggressive approach might explain why survival rates are comparatively lower in the UK I did not at any point suggest that the study had looked at variations of treatment /access to treatments within the UK. However, I do though see how these two separate issues could be conflated, and that you might think I was interpreting the study that way.

I mentioned the study for two reasons. Because Pumkinsue was concerned about the lack of a treatment plan/ rather lacklutre approach of her Oncologist, and I wanted to reassure her that she is not alone (in that a conservative approach is rather common in the UK), and because I wanted to let her know about evidence that supports her desire for a more aggressive approach (that was also my reason for also mentioning stuff about the Anderson Cancer Centre etc).

Personally I believe a more aggressive approach may aid survival (and the study I referred to profferred that might be the case). But ultimately it is up to the individual to make up their own mind, and I would never misrepresent research to persuade them otherwise.

Pumpkinsue, I agree with Lemongrove that you should be offered bone-strengthening drugs. Those used for bone secondaries are usually the bisphosphonates zoledronic acid (Zometa) or Pamidronate - both given intravenously - or ibandronic acid tablets, which I’ve been on since 2008. The IV drugs (which I also had after my bone mets dx) are very effective, and Zometa has been shown to have some anticancer activity (sorry I can’t quote a reference). Whatever your oncologist does or doesn’t do, make sure you are offered something for your bones.

And I hope you do well on the Taxol. Side effects can be grim but it’s worth it if it’s effective for you.