worried about treatment

Hi Everyone,
I am having a hard time copeing with a new diagnosis of bone mets in spine from a primary 11 yrs ago. Last week was expecting a bilat mastectomy for new primary (other side) and am now having a WLE instead. I feel as if my original treatment plan has been shelved as I am no longer worth the effort of saving. Does anyone else feel like this or am I over reacting? Op is tomorrow but I’m in a very dark place at the moment.
Realy scared about the future. Any positive stories would help.
Thanks for listening
Claire

Hi there Claire

You are understandably feeling upset and anxious at the moment and I’m sure others will be along shortly to offer support and advice.

In the meantime, if you feel it will help to talk, do give the Helpline a ring, they’re great listeners and can direct you to other sources of help and information.

They’re on 0808 800 6000 and are open 9-5 Weekdays and 9-2 Saturday.

Best wishes.

Louise
Facilitator

Hi C Jo

I’m sorry you are having such a hard time - I also have bone mets so understand how you feel. I would recommend you read the bone mets thread if you haven’t already (my apologies if you post there already and I’ve missed it) - there are some recent comments about different approaches to treatment that might help you.

Also, if you have small mets in 3 places or less, you fall into a category of oligometastatic bc, for which there can be a more favourable outcome with aggressive treatment - this has also been discussed on the bone mets thread but a few months back. It would be worth doing some reading on this subset of patients, and the approach taken at the MD Andersen Centre in Texas, which has pioneered this new approach with impressive results. You might have a battle to convince your onc to change path, but going into a discussion well armed with research to bolster your case may well help. Good luck finty xx

Have bumped up the bone mets thread for you x