Worried and long waiting list

Hi, i’m new here. Found a large, painless, irregular shaped lump on my breast near my nipple. Went to GP the next day (Friday) who referred me on to the breast clinic and said I’d have an appointment through within the next 2 weeks and took my mobile number. Was at one of my local hospitals with a family member on the Thursday and spoke to the breast clinic coordinator who said that it was a 6-7 week wait for urgent referrals. I’ve told my parents but I’m on my own with a teen and a nearly tween. When they’re dad and I split 9 yrs ago they thought I had a stroke, lost my speech, coordination, cognition, turned out to be a migraine exacerbated by stress but took a few months to get back to normal. I’ve had a stress headache now for 2 days. I thought the waiting lists were only 2 weeks. I don’t think I can cope with 6 or 7 weeks plus results time. I don’t know what to do.

Hi keo67

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site, who will be along soon to help you.

I am sorry to hear that you have been told there’s a long waiting list at your hospital and can understand how this must be worrying you, perhaps your GP could check this out for you and bring your appointment forward?  Could I also suggest that you give our helpline team here a ring and talk to them about how you are feeling, they’re here to support you through this.  Calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

I don’t know what’s going on with my referral. I have an appointment tomorrow (wednesday) that I was notified about 2 weeks ago. On Friday I got a letter in for a mammogram appointment today (Monday) Radiographer was very good. Talked me through it all before we started. Explained that they’ve been very busy and todays mammogram results will be sent to the clinic for Wednesday and depending on results they may want an ultrasound and / or further images.
I wasn’t expecting them to give me any results today, but after checking my images she was quite flushed and said they’re probably going to want both and that it could be a long day for me. I know it’s a large lump. That’s perfectly obvious, but I’ve kinda managed to get it all under control and hope for a ‘fatty lump’ diagnosis but I’m struggling to keep a lid on it now.I don’t have anyone to come with me on Wednesday as the schools are off and mum has to watch the kids.