Worried i have IBC

In 2010 i was diagnosed with thyroid papillary carcinoma, had a total thyroidectomy, 29 lymph nodes removed, a neck dissection and internal radiation, ingestion by a pill, plus a theraputic dose 9 months later. Am thyroid cancer free but since then, i have had 3 breast clinic referrals, 2 for separate fibroadenomas and once for benign breast fluid. Am now on my 4th referral, have my appointment on the 7th october. 2 weeks ago tomorrow, my breast started leaking smelly discharge, by the monday morning the nipple was sore and more inverted than usual, so saw a female dr, she found another lump near my nipple and was unhappy about the side of my breast and under arm, she thought maybe i had an abscess; so she took swabs and started me on antibiotics. I Was called back to the gp as the swab came back abnormal with an anaerobic infection and she gave me another set of antibiotics and referred me to the breast clinic. I dont seem to be getting any better, my breast is hot and painful, the nipple is wrinkled and remains more inverted than usual. I have like a hot iron pain going down the side of my breast and into my armpit, i cant shake the feeling something is seriously wrong. I stopped breast feeding when my baby was 6 weeks old due to mastitis and thrush, that was almost 7 months ago. Am 36 with 4 children, any help and advice is welcome,i feel im going insane. Many thanks.

Hi helenbutterfly

Firstly welcome to the Breast Cancer Care forums, I am sorry to read you’re have such a difficult time.  I’m sure some of the other users will be a long soon to offer you their support and experiences.

In the meantime you might find it helps to talk things through with a member of staff on the helpline.  Here you can share your thoughts and  concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator