Would I be entitled to any benefits?

Hi everyone,
I am currently on Incapacity Benefit & worried about returning to work as it involves alot of heavy lifting. I would really like to study to be a therapeutic radiographer but as it is a 3yr full time course I wonder if I could cope financially. I was just wondering if I would be entitled to any state benefits? Would I be classed as being disabled?
Thanks in advance,

Hi, I claimed incapacity benefit when my sick pay stopped.I also have lymphodema.I had 2 jobs one I had to give up because of the lymphodema,and the other is only 7 hours a week.I had to go for a medical assesment in september and my benefit was stopped.Maybe it depends on the prognosis,or on how severe the lymphodema is to whether or not we are entitled to benefits.I dont think breast cancer in general is classed as a disability.

love and best wishes mellx

Hi Lisa

As someone who works in radiography I’d be thinking hard before I joined it as a career. It’s a busy & damanding job, and as a trainee you’d need to wear a protective lead apron which is VERY heavy, as are patients who need moving!

As for benefits … have you applied for DLA, this may be another option for you?


Hi Lisa

From the very little you have said I think the answer would be no,…you are not entitled to DLA as a result of a primary breast cancer, DLA is given at three rates - and you have to fill in very lengthy questions on your ability/disabilities, it not alot of fun filling it in and the lower rate disability will not support you financially while you train. But I think there may be financial help that you could find for training as a radiographer that would be much more valuable - bursaries/tuition subsidies/key worker housing. Maybe you could talk to a C A B about the best way to tacke this.


Hi Cathy,

Just to clarify, Lisa might not be able to survive on her DLA were it awarded, but as someone with primary BC, I was awarded it during my chemo & will have it for the next 18 months.

So, just a primary diagnosis doesn’t preclude or exclude you from applying for DLA, although it is indeed a huge form.


I thought DLA was awarded if you actually couldn’t dress/drive/climb stairs etc?

DLA is notoriously difficult to claim successfully at first.Most people benefit from having someone else complete their forms as generally people tend to answer as they are on their best days.DLA is awarded as you are on your worst days.A 3rd party can see your condition objectively . However -its not enough to live on if this is the only benefit you are entitled to.

Taken from Direct Gov site
To get the care component of Disability Living Allowance, your disability must be severe enough for you to either:

need help with things such as washing, dressing, eating, getting to and using the toilet, or communicating your needs
need supervision to avoid you putting yourself or others in substantial danger
need someone with you when you are on dialysis
be unable to prepare a cooked main meal for yourself (if you had the ingredients), if you are aged 16 or over

There are three rates of care component depending on how your disability affects you:

the lowest rate, if you need help or supervision for some of the day or you are unable to prepare a cooked main meal
the middle rate, if you need help or supervision frequently throughout the day, or during the night, or someone with you while on dialysis
the highest rate, if you need help or supervision frequently throughout the day and during the night

You can get Disability Living Allowance for your care needs even if no one is actually giving you the care you need, even if you live alone.
If you have mobility needs

To get the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance, your disability must be severe enough for you to have any of the following walking difficulties, even when wearing or using an aid or equipment you normally use:
you are unable or virtually unable to walk, or you have no feet or legs
you are assessed to be both 100% disabled because of loss of eyesight and not less than 80% disabled because of deafness and you need someone with you when you are out of doors
you are severely mentally impaired with severe behavioural problems and qualify for the highest rate of care component
the effort of walking could threaten your life or seriously affect your health
you need guidance and/or supervision from another person when walking out of doors in unfamiliar places
There are two rates of the mobility component depending on how your disability affects you:
the lower rate, if you need guidance or supervision out of doors
the higher rate, if you have any of the other, more severe, walking difficulties
Some people will be entitled to only the care component or the mobility component, others will be entitled to both.

Care component Weekly rate
Highest rate £67.00
Middle rate £44.85
Lowest rate £17.75
Mobility component Weekly rate
Higher rate £46.75
Lower rate £17.75