Would like to correspond with somebody in Southampton

I had a lumpectomy 6 weeks ago followed by further surgery to clear margins. Since then I have had searing pains down the front right leg to the knee and wonder if anyone else has experienced the same pain. It is still there after 8 weeks and all I can do and the doctors is to take strong painkillers. Can anyone help. It would be nice to be in contact with someone near Southampton who has also had a lumpectomy recently to compare notes.
Sapphire56

Not from your area but happy to discuss aches and pains Sapphire!

Every sympathy with your difficulty. Have you tried any general exercise at all?

I had a lumpectomy and some node dissection on the 25th Feb. and waiting for the results. There’s enough swelling under the arm and breast area to brush against each other and cause discomfort now. Previously everything was numb. The BCN said to continue with painkillers, just when I was trying to cut right down on them. I’ve been walking a couple of miles a day for the last couple of days in order to help with lymph drainage. But need a pocket to pop my arm in when it starts aching.

I’m due to see a Physio tomorrow which I hope will help with some sort of timescale to work towards.

I wonder whether it could be a good idea to write a diary detailing difficulties in order to see if there’s any improvement? At the very least you could refer to this if you need to see the consultant.

All best wishes

Hi, there
Dont knw if this is any help. I run a support group in Hampshire for younger women, I live near Fareham and we have members near Southampton. I have started a thread under the ‘younger women’ section, with the heading of STARS. We are meeting next month and always welsome new members, whatever their age.
You are very welcome.

RUTH XX

Hi sapphire, I live near Southampton and am a year on from treatment. I had my op at Winchester and my rads at Southampton.Feel free to ask any questions or pm me.

Rachy xx

Hi Sapphire
Am also from Southampton area. Diagnosed jan 8th, surgery 19th ( my birthday, what a lovely pressie!) at Winchester and now having chemo. First session 2 weeks ago today next one 17th.
Didnt have lumpectomy, had double breast reduction 80% of breasts removed, lymph nodes clear. Cant compare notes on lumpectomy but live nearby.
Interested in meeting in Fareham, but not really in the young woman category at 49 me thinks
Lynn xx

Sapphire, I have sent you a message. I am sorry it took so long for me to reply !

Rachy

Hi

My name is Karen I live in southampton and I am 40 years old.

2 weeks ago this friday I found a lump whilst in the shower, to say that I am at breaking point is an understatement. I cry everyday all day thinking of the worse. I have been told that 9 out of 10 lumps are nothing to worry about, but this still doesn’t put me at ease.
I have my mammogram this friday with a scan also. I spend most of my time sitting on this computer trying to make sense of what I am going through, and can’t belive that I am going through it. I have 4 boys ranging from 18, 16 15 and my youngest ben who is 10. All I keep thinking of is am I going to be around to watch them grow up. I know it’s morbid but I really can’t help it.
Is there anyone out there who is going through the same thing as me, and if so could you reply to this post.

Hope to hear from someone soon

Karen
xx

Hi Karen, What a terrible worry for you. I didn’t even know I had a lump. Mine was found by a mammogram which I asked for because my mum had had bc in her forties( I was 38 at dx and now 40) and I thought it was a good idea for me to go for a check.My lump was unfortunately cancerous and I remember those feelings of absolute terror when waiting for test results. I think has been the worst part of my treatment overall. Even though I have now finished treatment, i do often fear that I won’t survive. The fear is not constant as it once was and tends to resurface at check up times (next Monday in Winchester). I could not stop crying at the beginning of the tests etc like you Karen. You find yourself in such an unknown place whilst having tests and your imagination runs riot.I think i thought I was immortal and took my health for granted. However, it is true that 9 out of 10 breast lumps are NOT cancerous. I wish you the best for tomorrow and will be thinking of you.

Best wishes

rachy

Hello fellow Southamptonites, I hope you are all ok and was just wondering how you were all getting on.

Take care

Rachy

Bump !

hi any one in brighton want a chat dx 4 wks ago chemo next wk

Hi everyone, especially Karen,

Karen, hopefully you have had good news and no longer need to use this site. When I was diagnosed it was a complete shock as the GP thought it wasnt cancer, so i was on my own and phoned my husband with the awful news. My main concern is for my children, my son is 11 and my daughter is 7.
I had a mastectomy last week but am waiting for full results next wed to see if i need further treatment. I am hoping to join the STARS group which look like a good support.

Helen x