wow this is scary

Got diagnosed today … getting diagnosed is a bit of a story, found a lump over 18 months ago, went to the docs who sent me to the hospital, I lived in Oxofrdshire then, they couldn’t see it so thought everything was ok. Moved, felt the lump regulrly to see if it grew, kind of hard to tell when your feeling it all the time … I never go to the doctors so thought about going back but didn’t until I went for something routine, mentioned it … the doc here was very good and ‘on it’ so to speak, went to hospital to have it checked out, they found it straight away, mammogram, ultra sound, decided to (in thier words) be extra cautious and biopsy it there and then … so to cut a long story short, that was last week and today got diagnosed but they say it is stage 1, and tubular which apparently is good, it is one of the least spreading and mostly I am feeling very optimistic and good but am getting bursts of panic, that word cancer is darn scary … and the fact I know Ive had it so long … or is it long?

Not sure what I want from here but thought it might do me good to waffle a bit in a place where people in the same boat and a lot worse undoubtably, I know I should feel lucky in a way, it could have been so much worse … it’s daft the things I am thinking off, every ache and pain I’ve had in the last few years I am now linking it (irrationally) whereas before I just thought heck those aches my parents talked about coming on in your 40’s are just beginning …

Thanks for listening anybody thats out there, I am Debbie

Hello Debb1e

Welcome to the forums.  I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis, the first few weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with your diagnosis and treatment.
As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

You may also like to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June, moderator

hi Debbie, you came to the right place:) You are exactly where I was this time last year, so I’m dropping in to lend you my support and big hugs as you start on the journey no one wants to be on.
I found it helpful (still do!) to check out the inspirational stories, maybe you will too.
The worst part about cancer for me was all the “hurry up and wait” - there is so much of that! As you wait for appointments, surgery, pathology, treatment - everything. Everyone says that they feel much better and more in control when there is a treatment plan in place. I agree with that.
Get to know your team, particularly the breast care nurses. Mine have been wonderful and I’m sure yours will be too.
the bursts of panic get easier to handle with time - I still get them, but it’s not all consuming anymore.
Good luck hon, and sorry you have to be here too.
x x

Hello Debbie,

Yes, it’s a great shock, and you’re absolutely right that here you can say anything you like about the situation you find yourself in, we all understand where family and friends usually can’t.

Of course we can’t say whether or not the delay would make a difference, but from all I’ve read and heard, most of these cancers are fairly slow-growing. My bc was different to yours, lobular, and I first mentioned it in the cancer clinic when I went for my annual check a full year before any action was taken (I had cancer in my other breast 5 years earlier), and was definitely there when I went for my mammogram a few months before that. Unfortunately, lobular cancer doesn’t usually show on mammograms.

The action taken when you were at the hospital tells me they acted exactly and as quickly as we could hope - they seem to be taking the very best care of you - something to be really pleased about. They gave you news you would never wish to hear, but happily for you, it could be balanced to some extent by telling you about stage 1 and that tubular is a ‘better’ bc to have.

You need to take care of yourself, try to relax, but you’ll find bc pops into your mind all the time as you’ve found. You’ve had a shock, and will no doubt have sleepless nights plus all those hospital appointments taking you into things you dread, but you will cope with it. Come on here whenever you need to, shout, cry, ask questions, but don’t search google, stick to trusted sites like BCC, ring the helpline for good advice and a caring person to listen. I did, many on here did and do and found help.

Take care Deb - gentle hugs, Jo x

Hi Debbie

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  I too was diagnosed with tubular cancer in January this year.   I did’nt find out mine was tubular until I had had my WLE (lumpectomy) and sentinal node biopsy in March.  They originally told me it was ductal cancer,   I was diagnosed after a routine mammagram.  From what I’ve read I think tubular cancer is quite rare, only accounts for about 2% of breast cancers and as you say it’s a slow growing cancer which is good news

Do you have a date for your operation yet?   I waited about 5 weeks to go for the op and the waiting is the worst bit as you just want to get on with it all.

Its very scary when you get diagnosed - I know like everyone here how you are feeling, it takes a while to sink in and the waiting can be awful.

I had radiotherapy 10 weeks after my operation and finished that in June - waiting now to go back and see my breast consultant but still haven’t had an appointment come through yet.

Keep posting and any questions just ask away.   This forum is great - it has been so helpful to me.

Good luck

Jaye x

Hi Debbie, how are you doing?
x x

Hi Debbie

Glad to see you have posted again on the forum, we all know what you are going through as most of us have been there too.

I lost about 4 or 5 lbs in weight in a couple of weeks through not being able to eat due to the stress of it all.  Hardly slept either, it is just horrendous at first as your mind goes into overdrive.

Hope all goes well for you on Friday and this is the place to come and offload when you feel you need to

Good luck

Jaye X.

Hi Ladies, sorry if hijacking this thread but you sound like a supportive bunch, don’t really know where to post. Have been on a scary ride over last 2 weeks, didnt know anything was amiss. Was diagnosed with DCIS 7 years ago and had wide local excision clear margins and no further treatment. (found after investigations into a nipple discharge), discharged after 5 years and now just having yearly mammograms. 2 weeks ago I had a mammogram recall, followed by core biopsies, just had a call from the hospital to say I need to go on Tuesday for my results, feeling really anxious this time around, (obviously knowing I have had a cancer diagnosis never really goes away but after so many years it takes on less importance) any advice, ideas welcome thanks x

Hi Hopalong
I am sorry to read that you have this new worry, please feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2

You may find the following link to the younger women area of the site helpful for more information and further support ideas:

breastcancercare.org.uk/younger-women

Take care
Lucy BCC