10 weeks wait for breast clinic appointment ?

Hello all I turned 40 the other day… At the beginning of this year I had a late miscarriage and was devestated as had waited ten years to conceive a second baby.

A couple of weeks ago I found a large solid lump at the bottom of my left breast. I have had an appointment with the nurse and my referral has gone in. Initially I was told 6 to 8 weeks would be my waiting time but now I’m being told it will be 10 weeks. My anxiety is going through the roof. I can hardly concentrate for worrying about the what ifs. I have no idea if the lump relates to my miscarriage… 

My husband is eternally positive and keeps trying to reassure me but I feel helpless. I just want to know.

10 weeks feels totally unreasonable for anyone to wait to find out what’s happening.

Is this normal? I feel like my anxiety is inventing symptoms.

I am just venting sorry x

Hi Hightop

Waiting is one of the worst aspects of breast cancer. If you live within the remit of the NHS, there is a guarantee of being seen within two weeks so you can use this information to speed things up: england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/symptomatic-breast-standard.pdf

Unfortunately I don’t know about other areas beyond the UK but a 10 week wait is unacceptable. Your head will be all over the place so, assuming you live in the UK, get back to your GP and ask some questions. In the meantime, your husband may be annoying with his eternal optimism but he is right - over 8 out of 10 referrals turn out to have benign causes - cysts, fibroadenoma (gristly growths) etc, so try hard to accept that reassurance from him.

I wish you all the best.

Jan

I am in the same boat! 

so sorry to hear about your miscarriage ‍?

I am at 12 week wait for appointment, strong family history of breast cancer and no news. I was told 8 weeks now it’s 5 months wait. 

it’s horrific not knowing, but sad that if we paid private the same doctor would see us sooner.