26yr old, history of BC in family, found lump, awaiting breast clinic appt

Hi everyone, 

I found a lump in my left breast at the weekend, I went to see the nurse practitioner on Tuesday morning and her face sort of dropped as she was examining me and said she could feel two lumps rather than just one. She said that it was unlikely I would have BC due to my age and that in her experience it doesn’t feel like cancer lump but neither did it feel like a cyst. Her face dropped a bit further when I told her that my paternal grandmother has breast cancer and that I am not on any hormone pill. She has referred me to the breast clinic via the cancer route so I get seen within the two weeks and I am still waiting to be called for my appointment but am getting a little worried. I know it is still very unlikely to be BC, and is probably something benign, especially as I do not have any other symptoms like inverted nipple or discharge. 

Does anyone else have experience of symptoms like mine ended up being BC or does it sound like something which is normally benign? 

Any advice would be great, thank you all. 

Hi DLP,

You are right, it is highly unlikely to be bc, but it’s good you’re being properly checked out.

It’s not possible to say what it is, as any breast change could be a symptom of bc (it’s usually not), hence getting any change checked out, as you are doing.

There’s nothing more you need to do now, it can help to carry on as normal, keep busy & to try & put it out of your mind, as no amount of anxiety will change anything, other than be stressy for you.

ann x

I’ve not got any experiences and ended up with bc .but I’m in same situation and I was referred as found lump on left breast and with family history of it was really worried.had my scan on the 4th and they found a soild lump they tried getting fuild but it had none so they took some cells instead to test it . But I have been told it won’t b bc it’s more likely to b fibroadenoma but average 1 is meant 2 be 2-3cm but mine’s 7mm so I’m really worried and I’m constantly in pain which isn’t right .x

Hi DLP, 

My daughter in law is 27 and recently had a biopsy on a lump, it turned out to be a benign fibrodenema, they are very common in younger women and she actually had one in her teens too which they removed as it was very painful. I also had one which was undetected until my breast cancer diagnosis.

Its highly unlikely you will have Breast cancer but your getting checked out and being taken seriously which is so encouraging, my DIL was given a biopsy because they couldn’t 100% tell her it was harmless on the day. This pleases me no end that they didn’t dismiss her due to her age and acknowledged that although rare young women do get BC too. 

Im sure all will be well Xx Jo