4th biopsy pending

Hi, 

I’ve used this forum from the start, here’s my story so far …

lump found in left breast early October. I attended GP who said it was likely muscle but to return in 3weeks if it was still there. 3 weeks later it was much bigger and I was referred to the breast clinic as urgent.

I am fortunate to have some private health cover through work so I put it to use.

1st appointment - Dr felt the lump and confirmed it was definitely a “lump”, I was taken for an ultrasound which confirmed fibrosis cysts, I then had a fine needle biopsy as a “belt and braces” procedure - the dr was highly confident it would be nothing

2nd appointment- I was called by the hospital to confirm that whilst my results were still not available I should attend the hospital for a mammogram. When I attended my results were available and showed atypical cells (possibly pre-cancer) . I had said mammogram and an ultrasound guided biopsy.

3rd appointment- downgraded from B4 to B3 with pappilomas ?‍ :female_sign: . Vacuum assisted biopsy required.

4th appoint - 11 samples taken for a large volume sample. This would give them all the info needed.

Now - large volume biopsy showing atypical cells and now I’ve to have a surgical biopsy. I feel I’m at my wits end, I just get my head round one thing and another seems to be dealt. Very stressful time, waiting is awful …

Hi

Waiting for your actual and accurate diagnosis is a very difficult period. It seems like endless waiting, then a different diagnosis every time. I had 4 diagnoses in 4 weeks, staring with “I don’t think you’ve anything to worry about” and ending with the need for a mastectomy and full axillary clearance of the nodes, followed (after a 5th diagnosis) by the full works! I’m afraid this is something you just have to accept because they can’t start treatment until they know exactly what they are dealing with. They started with a low baseline (as with me - I was offered a lumpectomy after my second diagnosis…then more data was available and it all changed again). It’s bound to take longer to reach what they are searching for - confirmation of breast cancer OR NOT.

The fact that they haven’t immediately recognised that it’s breast cancer may be a good thing. It may suggest that whatever is atypical means it’s in it’s early stages. Up to 90% of breast lumps turn out to be something other than cancer, though often the lump is removed, just in case. Early detected breast cancer involves less complex treatment and complete recovery.

So for now, you just have to look after yourself and be patient. The holiday period and the pandemic don’t help - there may be minor delays that to you feel massive. But they must get it right first time and, for that, they need all the data they can get before surgery or treatment. Please try to stay off Google if you’re tempted. What you read can be very alarming, if not downright terrifying. Focus instead on your emotional wellbeing because, if you do have cancer, you’ll need every resource you have to get through it. Women go running, get baking, practise yoga or mindfulness. I used videos on YouTube to meditate and there are NHS-approved apps like Calm and Headspace that provide similar things, The more your emotions can be controlled or eased, the easier the waiting and, if necessary, the better any treatment can be dealt with.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you xx