5-6cm Hard Round Lump, Mammogram/Ultrasound Monday, talk to Surgeon Wednesday

I’ve had this lump for a couple of months now. It’s hard and feels kind of attached to things. But, fibrous breasts are normal in my family. So, I was hoping it was just a cyst or something. It may still be that, of course. I wanted to get it checked, but I didn’t. I’ve got four kids and a job, and graduate school. One thing after another until two or more months went by, and it just got bigger. Today my arm was hurting enough that I finally just went in during my lunch hour. 

I stumbled on this forum, and I’m scared out of my wits. Not so much because cancer could be the terrifying outcome, but the thought that my kids haven’t finished growing up. If I’m going to be seriously incapacitated or dropping dead any time soon, I want to know they’re set up and don’t really need me anymore. 

I didn’t really think about how big a 5 to 6 cm knot is until I saw it on my paperwork. Now I’m losing my mind thinking I may have missed a chance to do something about it. Also, I’m in the US, so I’m terrified my whole family could be ruined trying to save me if it is cancer. I feel like an idiot. I’m sorry for everyone who gets cancer. My friend is a multiple-time survivor, but I don’t know what to do if this is bad. Doctors usually blow me off, take ages to do anything, and put their hand out for payment. So I avoid them because they’re expensive and not always really helpful. The fact the doctor got me in same day, I’ve got imaging on Monday and a possible surgery consult on Wednesday has me coming unglued. I hope it’s nothing because I don’t have the time or money to handle this and I don’t want to burden my family.

Sorry to ramble. Just needed a place to get this out of my head.

Most of the time it is nothing although you’re doing the right thing in checking it out. As far as a surgeon goes, sometimes they know that even if it’s benign it has to come out. That was with me. They thought it was cancer but in the case it was benign they told me I’d have to get whatever it was removed anyway. No idea on the rational behind that but I guess the benign stuff it could be was more closely associated with developing cancer later? So they just wanted to take it out regardless? Anyway that could be why you’re already scheduled for a surgeon. They know they’re going to remove it no matter what. Regardless though, be kind to yourself. This waiting is always the hardest part but once you know a diagnosis, even if it’s bad, you end up adjusting and getting on with it. You won’t feel the level of panic you feel right now forever. Much love and well wishes sent your way.