12 REPLIES 12
TeeCass

Re: After 11 years …. A highly suspicious lump in the other breast

Great news bearcat 

so pleased for you

please keep in touch and let us know how u get on xx

bearcat

Thanks for all the common sense you talk, Seagulls. Worrying achieves nothing, but it is so hard not to do! Had confirmation that the cancer hasn't spread yesterday. Am so relieved. So now it's on to chemotherapy in a couple of weeks. Perfectly doable. I've done it before and been fine. 😊 Good luck with your treatment  x

Seagulls

NB This time I have two 2cm tumours which are ductal like before but this time I have the most common kind of breast cancer, of no special type. It’s grade 2 intermediate for aggressive cells. Last time I had one grade 1 tumour less than 1 cm, which was least aggressive, glycogen rich clear cell very rare kind of cancer. 

Ductal means they started in the ducts leading from the milk producing lobes towards the nipple. Invasive means the cells have broken out of the duct and are capable of spreading outward to other parts of the body. Invasion is thought to go via the lymph system. My lymph nodes seem to be clear so that’s good. I have an injection due the day before surgery which will identify r through a small amount of radioactive liquid if there are any cancer cells in the sentinel node which is the node nearest the tumours. 

Toodle pip

Seagulls

Seagulls

Pain is a stinging sensation if I wear a bra so I am not wearing one. My breast seemed to be getting a better shape and slightly bigger. I had surgery in 2003 which is 19 years ago so I thought it was great it looked better. Then I met a couple of people about my age ie 67 who had had breast cancer and started wondering about it again. 

I hadn’t been back to see anyone at a breast clinic or anyone else about breast cancer since May 2003 so I plucked up courage to see my GP in April after having a feel at last and to my horror finding two lumps. since then I have had it confirmed I have breast cancer but I am miles older than you, I had a history of painful breasts and benign breast disease, I have no children, I had a late menopause at 54 so I have loads of risk factors.

The only definitive way of diagnosing breast cancer is by looking at the cells under a very powerful microscope called an electron microscope and using various tests to determine the chemical composition to find out if it grows in the presence of oestrogen and/or progesterone two hormones that can be regulated by treatments in addition to surgery.

Knowledge is power and worry is fuelled by uncertainty. I have had breast cancer before, I survived it, I don’t feel ill it’s a lovely sunny day and life could be a lot worse. 

Keep busy, do something productive like go for a walk in the park and feed some ducks. Honestly there is nothing to be gained from worrying about something. Luckily the treatments have improved immensely over the past fifty years. Breast cancer has always been around so has cancer but it is much better treated now and most people don’t die of it. I got to know some who did, it’s a tragedy to have lost good friends but I am involved in research now which I hope will help develop new more effective treatments. 

Cheers Seagulls.

bearcat

HI Teecass, 

Good luck today for your results. I was supposed to get a call from a nurse yesterday saying what the next steps were, but they didn't call - someone was off sick so they were understaffed. They are now using an app for appointments and that tells me that I have an oncology appointment next week, so I guess I'll find out more then. it's agonising waiting - I just want to know if it's spread.

Seagall - if it makes you feel better, I did all the treatment, had yearly mammograms and it still came back! And the mammograms didn't detect it (which makes me feel a bit cheated!!).

Wishing you all the best, Lisa x

TeeCass

Thank you for your message 

have they told you anymore ?

I am getting my results tomorrow 

😱

TeeCass

Thank you for taking true time to reply. I had a false diagnosis of a recurrence about 5 years ago so i too was a bad girl and didn’t go back for checks after that. The anxiety of the checks was too much to bare at the time . I’ve found this lump because of the pain. What did ur pain feel like ? I feel like my boob maybe bigger too. You say tumours ? More than one ? Was it the same type of cancer ? 
thanks again for ur input - it has helped xx

Seagulls

Good luck, I find it’s better to know whether good or bad news. I had a recurrence in the same breast, different cancer from last time, but 19 years after the first cancer I had

Seagulls

I had a new cancer in the same breast after 19 years, I also agonised over why I had been picked out. I may have been a bad girl but if I have it’s too late to go back and have mammograms I didn’t have any from 2003 to 2022. I didn’t take tamoxifen for more than 2.5 years, I didn’t have any follow up after my last radiotherapy session in May 2004.

I am still alive, I found my tumours cos they were painful and my breast got better to look at. And slightly bigger and more shapely. As the tumours are in the breast I had cancer in before and I had radiotherapy,  I can only have my left breast removed now. My heart is on that side too so that’s another reason to avoid radiotherapy more than once apart from the damage it does to the skin. A lump in the opposite breast is something  i haven’t experienced. All my breast cancer so far has been confined to my left breast.

My mammogram of the right breast did identify a possible suspicious area, but nothing more. I suppose now I am back in treatment they will be using this as a baseline for any future mammograms so it will be more obvious if there is a change. I am definitely not going back into the three year screening programme as I think it’s a waste of time so we shall see what follow up is offered. I am sorry you have another  cancer but at least its been found and will be treated. It’s not nice but better than the alternative. My advice would be keep breast aware, cancer can come back for years and years and it is normally found by someone through noticing changes. You found a change and you have a diagnosis so well done. Seagulls

bearcat

Hiya,

I had a biopsy on 5th August and they did a different kind of mammogram and ultrasound. At that point they said they thought it was cancer. Then the biopsy results the following week confirmed it. I'm now waiting for MRI and CT scan results. The fact that they didn't tell you on the day that it was cancer sounds hopeful to me. My first cancer was HER2+, weakly oestrogen positive, high grade DCIS with a 60 mm tumour, one of 19 lymph nodes affected. This time around its borderline Her 2, different level of hormone sensitivity and 13 mm with 2 lymph nodes possibly impacted. So am hoping it's a different cancer. Fingers crossed that its just a normal lump for you. Take care xx

TeeCass

Hi

did they take a biopsy ? How can it be confirmed from a scan ? 
I’m still in denial and spent the weekend thinking they’ve got for wrong. I don’t know how long I had my lump as I’ve always had lumpy breast a and never in my wildest dreams thought it would come back. Do you mind me asking what your first cancer type was ? 
Positive thoughts for you and best case scenario xxx

bearcat

Hi TeeCass

I just found a lump in the other breast after 13 years. Confirmed as cancer and waiting on scan results. It looks like a new cancer for me. Am keeping everything crossed that it's not the old cancer spread or that this new one hasn't spread. I can't believe it is all happening again. What did I do wrong?? And why didn't the mammogram pick it up?? I hope your wait is over quickly, waiting for results is excruciating. I find out my treatment plan later this week which feels far too long when I found the lump in early July.   Sending you big, big hug as I know exactly how you must be feeling and it's a very lonely place to be. Lisa xx

TeeCass

After 11 years …. A highly suspicious lump in the other breast

Can’t believe it 

is it a new cancer ? Is it a spread ? Is it er positive ? Can’t believe it.

I’ve had a biopsy but no results til next weds at the earliest! 

it’s so close to my arm pit - they’re not sure if it’s a lymph node lump of breast .

Im dumbstruck and numb