Calcifications on mammogram

Hi. I’m new here so I hope I’m posting in the right place and all. I apologize if not.

I’m 42 and I had my first mammogram on Tuesday. I got the results the next day.

Here is what it says:

INDICATION: Annual screening mammography. Family history of breast cancer in the patient’s grandmother.

COMPARISON: None. Baseline study.

BREAST COMPOSITION: c. The breasts are heterogeneously dense, which may obscure small masses.

FINDINGS: Tomosynthesis imaging was obtained and reviewed as part of this examination. There is no suspicious mass, area of architectural distortion, or group of calcifications in the left breast to suggest malignancy. Calcifications are seen in the upper outer quadrant of the right breast middle third.

IMPRESSION

Abnormal findings in the right breast.

RECOMMENDATIONS:

Diagnostic right mammogram, to include spot compression magnification views, ML view, and ultrasound as needed.

• I’m scheduled for diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound on March 22nd. I’m really freaking out. Could this be possible cancer? Do you think I’ll need a biopsy? The report didn’t say anything about shape, size etc.

Thanks!

Hi Mack2727 - welcome to this lovely forum. You have posted in the correct place for general questions about appointments and waiting for results, but in your specific case you are looking for medical advice so I would suggest posting it in the nurse’s section too. The mammogram is written in medical language and as most of us aren’t medical it’s hard to interpret and give an opinion. You can also call the nurses - the number is at the top of the page on the right, they are lovely and will be able to help.

However, this is the right place if you want to chat or offload, we are here to hold your hand and guide you through the wait. If at all possible try not to let your mind race ahead and imagine the worst - try to deal with facts. As another champion on here (Shi) always says, you don’t have cancer until someone tells you you do. You have to remember that the majority of lumps or changes are benign, there are many things it could be. If you search the forum you will find lots of similar messages, referrals that turn out to be benign.

My very best wishes to you, please keep in touch and let us know how you get on - if you want to of course. And please also feel free to chat any time, sometimes it’s easier to chat on here than to friends and family. Evie xx