Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I take someone with me to the Breast Clinic

5 REPLIES 5
Shi
Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: Do I take someone with me to the Breast Clinic

Jay bro great response to shellbell ❤️Shellbell 👭👭 till anyone tells you otherwise you don’t have it ❤️And if you do then you have ❤️And support from friends and family and everyone on here should you need it 😘 when I got told 2 years ago, I was right what do we do then, they said can you come back and speak to a surgeon this afternoon, I said yes I can, I wanted to get on with getting plan in place of what was going to happen, but that’s how I dealt with it. Remember even if you don’t feel in control, you are in control 💪💪💪 💕💕Shi xx

shellbell

Hi Jaybro

Thank you, and great news that your out the otherside 💪💪

Sorry for the late reply.... I’ve had an up and down day... one minute ok and the next minute feeling sick with anxiety 😐

After reading your reply I thought that you are right and I am being quite selfish... I text my sister, a close friend and had my mum around for summer and told her too... (she knew something was up - I was very snappy 🤦🏻‍♀️) all have been very supportive and kinda said what I wanted them to - it’ll all be ok, we will deal with whatever it is and do you want me to come with you on Monday ❤️My husband is working till late tonight so I’ll chat with him in the morning as I’m shattered so once the children are asleep I will be off to bed. Kinda wish that I can sleep till 11:30 Monday morning lol

Take care and thank you xx

Jaybro

Hi Shellbell

Unfortunately, the results usually take a week but your consultant will have a clear sense of whether it is breast cancer, isn't breast cancer (could be a fibroadenoma, big lump of hardened tissue to save you googling ;)) or might be bc and they need to do more tests. They know a lot by feel, location, symptoms etc. S/he will tell you, they are completely open - that’s why it’s good to have someone with you. 

Now for the ‘telling off.’ No, not about Google, about people. You are carrying a lot of worry right now and it’s hard work to bottle it in. You are not responsible for how other people feel - they can manage their own feelings and it’s not necessary to protect anyone (except children). I think my husband would have been deeply hurt had I kept him in the dark. He was pissed off when I arranged for friends to be with me during chemo - all I was doing was protecting him because he hates needles and when I did allow him to accompany me, what did he do but recoil and go to the loo while the cannula was put in. Wuss! In all fairness, he’s been an absolute rock apart from that.

You know the people around you so use your judgment. But imagine how you’d feel if you eventually found out the man you loved had kept something so important from you. Shocked definitely, but a degree of anger/sadness/disappointment you can’t express cos the time is wrong!! Isn’t that worse than sharing a bit of worry till you get the all-clear?

I’m out the other side thanks, cancer-free. Hormone therapy for ten years, after all the treatments going. I still have some side effects but they are easing off with time. Thanks for asking. 

Good luck Monday,

Jan

shellbell

Hi Jaybro,

Thank you for taking time to reply to my post 🙃

I’m sorry that you had to go through this and not get the best news. I do hope that you are well on the road to recovery... ❤️

I didn’t think of the probability of biosies and driving 🤦🏻‍♀️thank you for the heads up.... if it is the worst outcome would I be told at my appointment on Monday? Maybe I should tell my husband or at least confide in a friend... at least someone close by to come to my rescue should I need it...  I haven’t told anyone because I really don’t want them to worry or for them to ask me how I’m feeling about the appointment because I am sure it’ll all be fine and until today I’ve coped quite well but the anxiety levels are rising 😬

I must stay away from google.... I must stay away from google.... I must stay away from google lol 

x

Jaybro

Hi shellbell

Sorry you’re in this position. It echoes me a year ago tomorrow! It’s always good to be checked but most lumps are not evil. With that in mind I swanned off to my first appointment on my own, convinced this was just a simple precaution. Big mistake. I had two small biopsies “just in case” so I drove home in a lot of discomfort and a bit shaken, probably not as safely as a driver should be. I still wasn’t concerned as my consultant wasn’t, but I did decide to park at a friend’s the next week and let her drive me. I didn’t take her in with me but I should have - once you have been told you have cancer, your brain can turn to mush and you don’t take in a lot of what you are being told. Nor can you think clearly enough to ask the right questions. So, based on my experience, I’d say take the right person with you - someone calm and someone you trust to ask questions on your behalf if you can’t. A good, unflappable driver is preferable too. Regarding the questions, you need to agree with your companion how much you want/need to know. Some people want all the facts, I preferred to know as little as possible as I was born catastrophising and I needed to get through what lay ahead with as little fear as possible. I really just wanted them to get on with it and get me better.

Well done for avoiding Dr Google. S/he can be your worst nightmare, filled with information you may not have the knowledge to interpret accurately and full of potential alarm. There are brilliant leaflets available here and talking to the nurses on the phone is a very reassuring and positive experience. However, I hope you won’t need these and get a good outcome next week. Btw, if you’re worried by the speed of getting an appointment, the NHS is committed to seeing everyone within 2 weeks, so it’s not a bad sign!

Good luck,

Jan 

shellbell

Do I take someone with me to the Breast Clinic

Hi, I’m new here... trying really hard not to look on google too much but thought maybe I could join a forum where people have been through this before... 

Roll back to earlier in the summer when I noticed a dent on my right breast, I did t really think much of it as I’ve been eating healthy and exercising so thought it might just be my ribs in my chest... so I kind of ignored it. Then about a week ago I noticed it again and it seemed quite prominent when I raise my right arm which what feels like a lump... off to the docs I went, she didn’t check but referred me to the breast clinic and I got my appointment through on the same day for Monday next week (30th September) 

What will be will be and I’m quite relaxed about it BUT the closer Monday is getting the more anxious I am getting... my paperwork suggests allowing 3 or 4 hours for the appointment... I haven’t told anyone about the clinic appointment as I’d rather not let anyone worry... but my question is - should I be take someone with me on Monday?