Emergency Referal

Hello everyone, so I went to the docs Wednesday about a lump that was causing me pain in my right breast, the pain can be sharp, aching or like a burning sensation inside. It’s been going on for months so I finally went to get checked as the pain was getting gradually worse. After she examined me the doc said she can feel the lump, she said its not just a lump it seems all the tissue around is also affected and she told me honestly that I need an urgent referral to rule out cancer. I also have tender lymph nodes under my arm, along the collarbone and In the middle of my chest on that side. I’m 39, no history of breast cancer in the family, so I’m waiting on my appointment she said i should get one within a fortnight. I’m pretty scared because she seemed quite concerned and after she examined me the pain was bad, in my back ribs and deep inside my chest. It’s such a worrying time and I really don’t have any support around I’m on my own with my daughter… does anyone know of any other condition that could cause these symptoms? The wait is insufferable… 

Hi Butterfly,

I just posted a response to you and Looney (nice that you introduced yourself to her)…a slightly more tailored response to you below…

Really sorry to hear you have a lump and multiple sites of pain/tenderness. It’s usual for a GP to refer anyone with a breast lump to the breast clinic, even on a precautionary basis, to get it checked out. The standard referral time (pre-covid) is 2 weeks, so the time you have been informed of is the standard time for anyone who needs to have a lump checked out.

While entirely natural and understandable to be concerned and feel anxious, it is also important to be aware that there are lots of causes of breast lumps, many of which are benign (ie not bc…such as cysts). I appreciate it’s a personal choice, but if you do want to have a quick look at the BCN info on benign lumps please see breastcancernow.org/information-support/have-i-got-breast-cancer/breast-lumps-benign-breast-… 

Regarding the pain in your ribs/back, it’s possible this could have been caused by an injury, or recent aggravation of an old injury. I had severe rib pain a few years after my bc diagnosis, my hospital referred me for bone scans on a precautionary basis, the initial scan report stated highly suspicious of secondary bc…in the end after further scans they concluded it was old fractured ribs. While I was aware of my back ribs aching after being slightly flung against a rail while travelling years ago, I had no idea I’d actually fractured them. 

You might find it helpful to have a chat to the BCN nurse (tel number top right of screen) re your question about other possible causes, and lymph nodes?   

Given that many breast lumps turn out to be benign, and that there can be other causes of rib pain etc, please try not to panic too much. I know it sounds easier said than done, particularly given there are multiple factors, but try distracting yourself with anything you enjoy, get out (without breaking lockdown restrictions!) and observe nature, and if you haven’t tried it before it’s worth having a go at visualisation to help clear/calm your mind, even if just for awhile. 

Be kind and compassionate to yourself, and take one day at a time,

Sending you a gentle hug,

Seabreeze XXX

Hi butterfly2021 - I’ve just read your message and also wanted to drop in to send you a big hug as you wait for your appointment, and to welcome you to this forum. Seabreeze has written you a wonderful reply, I’d like to echo everything she says,

The only thing I could think to add - is that we are here any time to listen or chat if you just want to offload. Everyone on here just gets it without explanation. I have read many messages exactly the same as yours and the person comes back to tell us they have received a benign diagnosis - but the worry while waiting is hard.

I hope your stay on here will be short and you get the reassurance you want. Evie xx