Feel in limbo waiting for biopsy results

Hello, I know a lot of ladies here are in the same position as me so feel a bit silly asking questions. Little bit of history, 3 weeks ago a found a very small lump in left breast which seemed to move, went to GP, he said 99% sure not cancer but was referring me anyway as margins so low. Had breast clinic app yesterday. Saw breast consultant for physical exam, he couldn’t find lump, said a little bit of thickening but he honestly couldn’t feel anything that gave him cause for concern. Off to mammogram and ultrasound. Radiologist says I have v dense breasts, not sure what that means (I’m 41) she finds area she says she’s not sure about, she says it’s marginal so she wants to biopsy (bit of a shock as not what I expected). I asked if it’s marginal and it turns out bad does that mean we caught it earlier, apparently not necessarily. Biopsy done, waiting for report get called back in- they want to re mammogram other breast in a different way, so they do that then re ultrasound - not sure why. Then send me back to consultant…by now I’m super confused.

consultant says it’s U3 (right one they decided was ok) hence biopsy as they just don’t know. My biggest cause for concern was that the breast cancer nurse came into room when he was explaining this…I’ve read they only are introduced when they strongly suspect cancer? Feel more confused now than before appointment…this is going to be a long week. Does anyone know if it’s right about the breast care nurses? She was really really lovely it’s just spooked me more than I already was and I want to be properly prepared for the results.

Hi Vianaut,

Sorry to hear you’re going through this, but it’s not really possible to second guess what’s happening. 

The issue with dense breasts is, that it is harder to see on mammo exactly what’s going on, so they will  do what’s needed to get to the bottom of it. 

Although it is such an anxious time to go through, it seems they are being thorough & the most important thing is, whatever the outcome, it will get dealt with.

The waiting is horrible, though. 

If you want to, let is know how you get on. 

ann x