Feeling anxious after mammogram and ultrasound

I was referred to the breast clinic after a random breast examination. I’ve been unwell for a good few months, tiredness, night sweats and I had thyroid cancer back in 2009, so the dr wanted to rule out everything he possibly could. Ive lost weight so my breasts have changed, so he got a female nurse practioner to check me over and she found 2 areas of concern, so I was referred to the breast clinic .

I’ve been referred previously and I’ve had previous surgery for duct ectasia so I’m familiar with what happens.

I went along to the clinic on Wednesday afternoon, the dr felt the change and yesterday i went back for the mammogram and ultrasound yesterday morning. The experience felt very different. I had no re assurance that everything is ok. By The person who was doing he mammogram she asked me if I had gone on alone which I had and asked if I have moles or any other scaring apart from the scar from hadfields procedure, I haven’t. I’ve never been asked those questions before. She said I have very dense breasts, which I know and that I will probably need more xrays. She took 6 pictures and then I went for the ultrasound. The sonographer was very silent, previous appointments I’ve been re assured. I sat back out in the waiting room and then called back and was told that was everything for today and that they will be in contact on Monday regarding more tests and if i could make sure I’m available to take the call. Phone call has been booked between 1.30pm and 2.30pm.

I feel stressed and want to feel re assured but I guess if there is any doubt then they can’t re assure. I was also taken back by the questions that were asked and it has increased my anxiety. Has anyone else had a similar experience. Thanks you x

Hi helenbutterfly,

We’re sorry to hear how you’re feeling at the moment and hopefully someone will reply to your message soon.

It may be useful for you to give our nurses a call to discuss how you’re feeling and why they may have asked you these certain questions. You can give them a call on our free helpline 0808 800 6000 and it’s open 9am-4pm weekdays and 9am-1pm Saturdays. You can also get in touch with them via our nurses section of our Forum.

If you would like to chat following your call on Monday, please don’t hesitate to get in touch, we’re always here for you.

Best wishes

Laura