Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Follow up appointment tomorrow - questions about what to expect

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted

Re: Follow up appointment tomorrow - questions about what to expect

Hi Jobey

Sorry i missed this reply - i guess i am used to being notified by all my social media when i get a message so kind of forget to check here! 

I am very sorry to hear about your Mum too and that you also have had to go through the journey.  Thank you so much for your reassuring words.  Absolutely - no reason to think i have a genetic link - i understand it is rare, right? I think because me Mum was diagnosed and died in her 30s, my risk is increased even though only one family member, but nonetheless chances still are that there is no genetic link as I understand it from what I have googled.  And yes, definitely keeps you alert to making sure you respond to any potential issues, which is all you can do really.

I am so glad to hear that you are going strong. This is such a great place and I so appreciate all the support and wisdom shared on here. I realise that because i was feeling more relaxed - because the dr said he would have discharged me already were it not for my family history - so I haven't checked in in a while, but now it is back on my mind, I thought to check and actually came across my own post without realising it was mine at first!  I really hope that in a couple of weeks I will be able to come back on here and share a positive story about a dimple being nothing .  

xxx

Highlighted

Hi ladybowler

Sorry fo rmy slow reply - I didn't see your message here. Thank you so much for checking in!  When I went to the follow up, my case hadn't been discussed so the doctor just checked to see if dimple had changed and said that they will discuss my case at a meeting to decide whether to have mri. He said thaat ILC can present without a lump/with dimple and that there is a 5-10% chance that could have been missed on mammo and US and that he has diagnosed cancers that have presented that way before.  But more positively, he said he would have discharged me were it not for my family history.    So I was actually letting it go and felt fine for a couple of weeks. But on Thursday he called to say they have decided on the mri, so my attention is back on it a bit now.  I really do want to have the mri though just because i would rather the tests are as thorough as they can be so I can truly let it go. Or if it turns out to be cancer, then deal with it asap.   I have been reading in the forums again though about how ILC often doesn't show on mammo/us so making myself a tiny bit worried again.  I plan to go to get the pre-mri blood test on Tuesday, results should take a couple of days then radiology will call to book me in.

xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

LisLis

How did you get on at your follow up appointment

xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

I'm sorry to hear about your mum, I lost mine to breast cancer too although nothing to suggest a genetic link and with a huge amount of females in the family who have lived on average well in to old age without issue they won't even consider any tests so no reason to think because your mum had it you must do too. 

I was just unlucky apparently but what my mum did do was leave me with a sense of responsibility to be vigilant and not let what happened to her happen to me and you sound like you are doing the same, whatever happens you are giving yourself a great chance of all being well. 

Im doing great thanks, over 3 years all clear and going strong 💪💪 Xx Jo 

Highlighted

Hi Jo

Thanks so much for that.   That all seems to make sense. 

Yes, i feel that I am being taken very seriously.  On the one hand, it would be good for someone to say there is nothing to worry about. But i would rather have all the appropriate tests so I can feel sure.  My mother died of breast cancer at around my age, so I am very glad that my concerns haven't been dismissed even though my dimple is fairly small. 

I hope things are okay with you too, Jo. And thanks again

xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hiya, 

No they won't sedate you for a biopsy, they will give you a local to deaden the area if you need one and you will be fine to drive home. It's good to hear that they are trying to get to the bottom of what's going on.

I would imagine you would be given an appointment to go back for an MRI at a later date, if you were due one tomorrow you should have had an appointment though he post as it's would be in a different department. 

Hope that helps a little and fingers crossed you get to the bottom of whats going on soon Xx Jo 

Highlighted

Follow up appointment tomorrow - questions about what to expect

Hello all

About 5 weeks ago I was seen at the breast clinic because i have a dimple to the lef tof my nipple.  I had a mammo and u/s and both were clear, but before i even had the scans the surgeon said he wanted to see me again for a follow up and promised we would get to the bottom of it.  In response to my question about what else a dimple could be, I was told that it is either cancer or 'unexplained' i.e. they usually don't find the cause.  

So tomorrow is my follow up appointment.  I am hoping to have an mri.  Should i expect to have to make an appointment (i.e. further waiting) or might that happen tomorrow?

As mammo and u/s clear and no no defined lump (although i feel some slightly thicker parts in comparison with other bresat), does that mean a biopsy is out of the question?  If they do biopsy, will I be sedated?  Will i be able to drive?

Thanks so much everyone. Reading on these forums has been a great help while i have been waiting.

x