350180posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long do people wait for biopsies?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

Re: How long do people wait for biopsies?

Thank you Jobey! 

There were a few things that concerned me:

1. Before my physical examination the nurse was very dismissive and I think was all set to send me away because I don't have a lump but after the physical examination she said I did actually need an ultrasound.

2. The sonographer only scanned a very small area and asked whether I'd just recovered from a nasty infection, because he could see inflammation. 

3. When I went back to see the nurse she did not provide an explanation other than that there was inflammation and thickening, which was considered benign. 

I don't want to make a fuss unnecessarily but equally I wish I had had a chance to ask some questions and felt as though it had been dealt with properly! 

I'm just not sure whether I should leave things as they are or push for answers really? 

xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Rose you are certainly entitled to ask to be checked out again if your not reassured by what the clinic have told you. I understand how hard it is to step down once you've been on high alert awaiting to be seen at the clinic.

You may feel different in a few weeks and feel more able to accept what they have told you but if it's causing you worry still then I would suggest going back to your Gp, you can ask for a private referral of course they may not give you one but it's worth asking.

My cousin really had to push for one to get an MRI privately as her Gp had exhausted all tests available to him  which had come back clear ( this wasn't for breast by the way) she eventually got her referral which was also clear but it was the only way to put her mind at rest. Xx  

Highlighted

Thanks Ann,

I don't have health anxiety/hypochondria but I'm a bit concerned about the inflammation and thickening shown on my ultrasound, particularly when there is no known cause.

I phoned today and was told that the breasts look healthy (despite the fact that the sonographer and nurse practitioner mentioned inflammation on ultrasound) but that there might be lymphadenitis/lymphadenopathy. 

I was just wondering- do you know if it's possible to get a second opinion on this? Or to ask the GP for a private referral for a second ultrasound? I didn't get to see  breast surgeon/doctor in the end at the clinic.

Highlighted
Community Champion

That's great, Rose!

Presumably, the inflammation could lead to thickened tissue. Anyway, hopefully it will all subside soon & as ever, it's good to be breast aware.

ann x

Highlighted

Thanks Ann,

I didn't need one in the end- the ultrasound showed benign inflammation and thickened tissue (is that normal?) so the consultant didn't seem concerned!

Thanks for all your help! 

Highlighted
Community Champion

I wouldn’t know, tbh & it may well not come to that anyway. They will do what they need to do, to get to the bottom of it.
ann x
Highlighted

Thanks Ann-m!

Do you know how it would work for several different areas of skin that are affected? I have enlarged pores [possibly peau d'orange], redness and bite-like marks-  do you know whether each skin lesion would be biopsied? 

xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

If a biopsy is needed, the results normally come through a week later. In my case, I was given an appointment for the following week.
ann x
Highlighted

How long do people wait for biopsies?

So I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here but if my IBC-like breast changes (no lump but skin texture change, vascular congestion, red marks) are not clear on the ultrasound tomorrow then I imagine they will do biopsies (I'm possibly too young for a mammo as I'm 30). 

How long do you have to wait for biopsy results if they do them at a one-stop appointment? Do you get the results the same day or go back a week later?