I’m naughty!!

Hiya
I’m a healthcare professional who’s had a lumpy boob since I finished breast feeding my eldest, about 11 years ago.
I always felt it was hormonal, and I’m dr phobic so I just left it.
But recently my older sister had a minor breast scare so I promised her I’d get checked, and now I’m in my 40s I’m less of a wuss!! I am also more aware of it these days having lost weight and breast density generally.
I went to the drs yesterday, saw the nurse practitioner. She did a 2 second examination with me sat up and is referring me to the hospital for a mammo.
Now, I’m pretty sure it’s nothing sinister. I have no other symptoms, the lump seems quite mobile, I’m very fit and well and always have been…but there’s still that nagging fear that’s making me feel a bit queasy and I’m struggling to focus on anything…
Can anyone offer any calming words?!
Thank you so much x

Hi , Firstly you are getting yourself checked out so that’s the important thing, something that’s been there for 11 years without any change or progression is not likely to be anything to worry about but it’s always worth getting a professional opinion to put your mind at rest. 

Breast cancer doesn’t usually make you feel unwell,  I felt absolutely fine and was fit and active, I’m not saying this to alarm you just to say that it can happen although you have no symptoms, I didn’t even have a lump. 

Having said that most lumps are benign so it’s likely you have nothing to worry about ? it’s hard not to worry but try and stay away from googling and keep busy, it helps the time to pass and with hindsight I spent so much time fretting it was just pointless as I couldn’t change the outcome no matter what I did. 

Just as a foot note I’m 3 years post diagnosis and currently sunning myself in Majorca :sunny: life goes on no matter what happens Xx Jo  

Yes I know it doesn’t always present symptoms, but probably in 11 years I’d have noticed something…who knows?! Well hopefully I will soon!
To be honest, I don’t think being told I have breast cancer would be as bad as the day I was told I had MS. That is such an unknown beast and I was left to get on with it. At least if I had a cancer diagnosis I’d have a treatment plan, follow up and maybe even a bit of an idea of how things might go. Nobody could tell me that about the MS and that was pretty scary!
Thanks so much for your reply, it’s hard being on your own and having all these thoughts running wild!!
(Plus I am NOT someone that stays away from Google- definitely the worlds worst for that! I have to understand medical stuff, always!!)