Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lump - prescribed the wrong HRT

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Lump - prescribed the wrong HRT

Hi Anirol,

It's good that you raised your concerns here...that's why the forum exists! Plus it's helpful to other readers who may be looking online having just discovered a lump. And strange times with covid19 which adds an additional stress factor.

I hope the tests go as well as possible. If you have any other queries or find you need to voice any other concerns or feelings please post back (or phone the Breast Cancer Now team). 

Re hot flushes, my oncologist suggested I try evening primrose oil or sage. I found the sage worked really well at reducing the magnitude of hot flushes for about 18 months (before my body seemed to adjust to it and it stopped working). If you do want to try sage please be aware it can affect blood pressure medications, so you might want to check with your GP as a precautionary measure before taking it. I took capsules (from Holland & Barrett), however I know some women have found sage tea helps.  

X Seabreeze

Highlighted

Hi

thank you for the advice and link, it has eased my mind a lot. I think a lot of my anxiety has come from the HRT mix up and now having been off them for a few days, my hormones are actually raging. feels like a permanent hot flush. I think you are all amazing women who have been through this and I feel a little silly expressing my concerns, when they may not be a concern.....lol

thanks again x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi ,welcome to the forum .Sorry you are having such an anxious time .Dont read anything into the speed of your appointment - at the moment times vary considerably - a lot of clinics have capacity to see people more quickly because routine screenings have been cancelled .As Seabreeze has said -the vast majority of breast lumps are not cancer - if it is most people with breast cancer have good outcomes and there is lots of support here to help you through treatment .I am 5 years on now and still here 🤞🤞🤞🤞

Highlighted

Hi Anirol,

There are many causes of lumps in the breast including things such as cysts so try not to panic. Also the referral period is typical - I think it is generally a target of 2 weeks to appointment from referral. 

You might find it helpful to have a look at the link below for more information about the different causes of breast lumps

https://breastcancernow.org/information-support/have-i-got-breast-cancer/breast-lumps-benign-breast-...

While I am not familiar with the different types of HRT medication you mention, in terms of breast cancer the most common forms tend to be oestrogen positive, which means they kind of feed off oestrogen. 

You have done the right thing reporting the lump and getting the referral. As I mentioned above there are many causes of lumps so please try not to panic - I appreciate that may be easier said that done. I'm sure other forum members will post soon.

In the meanwhile try to do whatever you can to distract yourself...(within the current restrictions!)

Seabreeze (6 years on and doing ok - just like to pop back to give back)

x

Highlighted

Lump - prescribed the wrong HRT

Hi everyone

I'm just looking for a better understanding of what's happened over the past 5 days.

I'm 51 and have been on HRT for approx. 3 years, I haven't had a hysterectomy. I found a lump on Monday evening and was in the doctors the following day. She said so your on HRT are you still having periods? I said no not since id been prescribed a different HRT called Zumenon because of the shortages. I said I would like to get a new prescription whilst I'm there. she said no problem and maybe I've just hit the where my periods have stopped altogether. I also said when I had first got the Zumenon, they made me feel ill, they were 2mg and id been on 1mg Fermiston before so I would cut them in half (was quite proud of myself). We discussed my lump and she has referred me to the breast clinic. She said she would call me in a little while to tell me what HRT prescription she would give me.

She did.... this is where I am confused and my anxiety has hit the roof. She explained to me that I had been on the wrong type of HRT since September 2019, Zumenon was one hormone and I still had all my womanly bits so should have been prescribed the one with 2 hormones - which was what I was on for 2 years prior. she was apologising profusely and saying that she was going to open some sort of case to ensure this couldn't happen again - to be honest, I wasn't taking in exactly what she was saying because of the events of the day. She ended the conversation saying she has prescribed Fermiston which is absolutely the right HRT for me.

I'm sorry this is a long read. I looked back to last year and it so happened I had a routine breast screening in September 2019 and came back with a clear result. I was mis prescribed the Zumenon in September too. fast-forward to February 2020 I had ran out of pills, my surgery uses an eConsult service to get a doctor to respond to queries by phone or through the service. I explained in the eConsult that I would like advice from a doctor because I felt I was on a totally different type of HRT than before. I explained about them making me feel sick and cutting them in half. I got a response back saying because I had side effects with the 2mg Zumenon, there is a prescription waiting for me for 1mg Zumenon.

I saw the doctor on Tuesday - The breast clinic phoned me on Thursday to say I've got an appointment on Tuesday morning. This is freaking me out a little - why so quick? I was told its usually by letter for within 3 weeks.

I'm normaly a sensible person and realised when I felt the lump I would have to get it checked out and not jump to conclusions of the big C. I know there is a slightly higher risk of breast cancer in women who take HRT, has this been escalated in me because of the wrong type being prescribed? I feel paranoid, anxious and very teary.