cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mammogram recall

ann-m
Community Champion

Re: Mammogram recall

So pleased for you Betty. Thanks for posting as it really does show that mostly it does turn out ok & is reassuring for others.
ann x
ladybowler
Community Champion

Bettyboop

That is fabulous news I am so pleased for you.  I am sure that this will give hope to others xxx

Bettyboop

Hi Ladybowler

Firstly, thank you so much for your concern and lovely to see how many of us care for each other.

i am one of the lucky ones.  My biopsies were clear.  I did have another mammogram just to ensure they had biopsies exactly the correct area, and thankfully they had, and no suspicious tissue was found.

again thank you and hope this gives hope to others.

best to all and keep well!

ladybowler
Community Champion

Bettyboop

How did you get on today xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Shellyd

That is brilliant news 🙂

Shellyd

Hi all, had my first mammogram couple of weeks ago ,as im coming up to the 50th birthday, , got my results on Saturday 15th 2017 slap bang in the Easter Holidays and was shocked to see it was a recall letter, asking me to go back on the 21st April 2017 i immediately went into meltdown imagining the worst outcome , i couldnt concentrate on anything , couldnt eat i was terrified. As soon as the clinic re opened on Tuesday i got the appointment moved from Friday and i attended yesterday Wednesday  with my husband for support, the staff are brilliant and reassuring, anyway i was given another mammogram on the left breast  which hurt a little more than the first one  and after about a hours wait i was given a ultra sound and the doctor also did a check by hand , i burst into tears when he said False Alarm all clear  the anxiety and stress just melted away  i could of kissed him.  I just wanted to share with you all x

Bettyboop

Ok...had another mammogram, ultra sound and biopsies taken from 2 sites.  Will get results next Thursday.  Staff were amazing.  Sore now as anaesthetic warning off.  

Bettyboop

Hi Fuertelover,

Thank you for your post.  Appointment tomorrow morning thank goodness, as the wait this week has been agonising.   

I will post my results tomorrow evening.

Fingers crossed all good!

Fuertelover

Hi Bettyboop, I wasn't recalled this time until three weeks after my mammogram, three years ago, I was recalled after just over a week, had more mammograms & tests, but turned out to be all good. But this time waited nearly a month, thought I was in the clear! Then recalled, a week later after agonising wait, had more mammograms etc & told I had BC, Went on holiday the next day, but had a long wait, 5 weeks before op, which is awful, luckily I had said I would take a cancellation & got one a week before my date. Now for the wait,to get my results of op!

never have been good at patiently waiting

Bettyboop

Hi Ann

Thank you for your reply.  It's so nice to know others are out there on this Forum.   I will post my outcome after Thursday. Xx

ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Betty,
I wouldn't know about a timgling sensation, its probably nothing significant, I've never seen a reference to it here.
Most recalls turn out to be nothing serious, but if you are unaware of any symptoms, then if on the off chance it is bc then the mammo has done its job in picking it up early, when full recovery is the usual outcome.
ann x

Bettyboop

Hello 

I had a routine mammogram exactly 4 weeks ago, expecting the result within 2 weeks.  However I received a recall letter only yesterday, asking me to return this Thursday for an "assessment" and further tests.  Very worried, especially as I can't feel any lumps, but I do have tingling crawling feeling around my bra line in my back and left side.  I often have to scratch too.   Has anyone else experienced this sensation described above?  

Lemonthyme

Hi ann-m thank you so much for your reply it certainly helps! I had my results from all other stuff today and all ok. So just Thursday to get through. Thanks again x

ann-m
Community Champion

Hi lemonthyme, 

If this is your 2nd mammo, then presumably the first one was clear, in which case if on the off chance it is bc then it would have been caught early, very treatable with excellent outcomes & full recovery the norm. Sorry to hear you've had the additional anxiety of other investigations on top.

Although it doesn't feel like it, the mammo has done its job in finding something that needs a closer look. 

Mostly all turns out to be well. 

ann x

Lemonthyme

Thank you Gerri,  I do  try to block things but as you say easier said than done. Just that in the last few weeks Ive had tests for allsorts, ovarian cancer and chest xray etc.  and with  the ovarian cancer blood tests i was called back twice for more, hopefully thats ok, they say just to have a rescan in two months but now this its all been a bit too much. Anyway I shall have to try and block else will go crazy. I will definitely post to say how I go on.

Thanks again x

Gerri1963

Hi 

When I got the recall letter after my first mammogram I went into major panic but this site and the readers were so helpful and understanding.

I got the letter on a Tue even and my appointment was Thu am.  Thankfully all OK but I was so worried.  I went from it will all be OK to the unthinkable.  I would say do not worry until Thu but easier said than done.

Please keep us updated and I wish you the best of luck.  Kind regards Gerri x

Lemonthyme

Hi everyone I have just registered on here as I have just had a mammogram recall letter (its my second mammogram)  as I got in from work and started to panic and my sister whom I wanted to speak may be out and hasnt replied yet so thought I would google but then found this site. So have been reading a few stories from some of you and though Im still very stressed as I have to wait until Thursday, I feel a little better reading on here, so thanks for putting your comments here.

ann-m
Community Champion

hi Minnie,
Obviously going through this is going to be anxious time, but it's good they are getting to the bottom of it. Let us know how you get on.
ann x
Minnie

I have just had the breast care nurse on the phone. I have to go and get a MRI scan. On my way to the surgery to get blood tests.
Minnie

Sorry I deleted my last post because it came up with 'Warning Emotional Content'. I am not sure what I did.

I was here a year ago when I found a thickening in my right breast. I was referred to the breast clinic and had a mammogram which they found to be very suspicious. I was told it was very likely to be cancerous, however, they changed their mind following an ultrasound. They said that they wanted to discuss my results at a full team meeting and they would be in touch. To cut a long story short I had several more tests over the next three months including core biopsies etc and was finally told that everything was benign. They said that they wanted to keep an eye on me and would see me in 6 months. Fast forward one year and I had a mammogram on Friday. I came home today to a message on my answer phone to say to call asap as I need to have further tests. I know I need to stay calm but it is difficult. I am hoping this is all hormonal because I am 48.

Minnie

Gerri1963

Felt I should as this forum was so helpful to me. I did not want to discuss with family, friends or work until I knew what the outcome was.

Patriciamay

Excellent news - and very thoughtful of you to post the outcome, its probably the last thing you think of, but you are so right, it is really helpful knowing that most re-calls are for issues like you describe.  good luck xx

Gerri1963

Thank you.

This forum is fantastic and glad I found it.

rubycat

Really pleased for you Gerri - we all do understand on here the relief you feel!!  Yes, do hope your post is read by others and will help them realise recalls are for a wide variety of reasons.Cat Tonguexxx

Gerri1963

Just got back and thankfully all is fine.  They recalled me as it was my first one and there was something on the right breast they were unsure of.  I had another mammogram on the right breast and then saw the team who explained that there was non malignant calcium.  They also did an ultrasound and the nurse was happy with that.  I cannot explain the sure relief knowing all is well and that I do not have to have another mammogram for 3 years.  

I was so worried and even had a cry when I first arrived at reception and was taken into a same room to see the nurse who then explained my first mammogram reading.  

Kings College Hospital is amazing, the staff are fantastic and the excellent service was faultless. I felt throughout that I was treated as an individual.

I also want to thank all of you for your help and reassurance.

If  any other ladies have the recall letter I hope my post will help you. Everyone reacts differently. I am one that panics and thinks the worst at all times (not just medical matters!)

Gerri1963

Thank you.  I know the NHS are wonderful and where would be be without them. I just was in a panic and metioned privtate.  I am a lot more relaxed and ready for tomorrow.  Having my fave meal tonight and will relax.  Early night and leaving early tomororw morning so not stressed if I get there late - which I will not.  Just concerend as no symptons and I always check my breasts.  I imagine that the xray was unclear and in fact the nurse had to retake one of the xrays.  At least I am getting it seen to and if bad well that is another story.  You have all put my mind at rest and I also called the support line who were great.

Patriciamay

Hi Gerri fingers crossed for you tomorrow, do let us know what ever,  its fine about private, I just like to share my experience about NHS care which has been examploray so that you don't worry if you do opt for NHS. Xxx

Gerri1963

Thank you for replying to my thread from yesterday.  I am a little more relaxed for tomorrow.  I know the NHS are wondeful and sorry for mentioning Private care. I just was in a panic.  I have also spokento the help line who also reassured me. At least I am getting it seen too. It could be nothing but always best to get checked.  I have no symptons so hence my concern. At the first mammogram the nurse had to retake one x ray so perhaps that is why.  Anyway going to have a good nights sleep and leave extra early in the morning so I am not stressed when I get there.

Sian66

Thank you Ann just wish they would say 'images unclear' or 'comparison image needed' it's just that word 'abnormal' makes you worry even when they give you the statistics you just focus on that one word. I'll post on Monday after my appointment keep you up to date. X
ann-m
Community Champion

hi Sian,
You're right, try not to read anything into it, it is a standard letter & all will be clarified at the appointment.
ann x
Sian66

I've just had a recall letter for more tests on Monday but was just wondering do all letters say the same, mine said my previous mammogram was 'abnormal', trying hard not to read too much into it. Does anyone know?
Darcie20

Hi everyone!

Thank you for your quick responses! I am trying to be positive for the both of us and reading the response on this page has really helped!

I am hoping everything is all ok but if it's not then I'm hoping all has been caught early enough for a positive outcome. We will cross this bridge as a family when it comes!

Thanks again xx
Optimissy64

Hi Darcie20

Just to add to what others have said, a mammogram recall doesn't mean that she has cancer - only further tests can determine that. I understand that about 1 in 4 ladies are recalled after their very first mammogram as the radiographers have nothing to compare it with so do not know what is "normal for you" if you see what I mean. I was one of those ladies recalled after my first mammogram aged 51 in 2003 and it was a benign condition and all subsequent routine 3 yearly mammograms have been fine. Only a few months ago  i was diagnosed with breast cancer, but it was nothing to do with what I had in 2003, (and still have), but that wasn't cancer and still isn't.

I hope all is well for your mum, but if she does have breast cancer then rest assured it is one of the  most treatable cancers. 

2 weeks seems about right from the date of the mammogram to the next appointment.All the best.x

ann-m
Community Champion

hi Darcie,
Yes, it is normal procedure for recall appointments to be within that time frame.
It doesn't feel like it, but the mammo has done its job & found something that needs a closer look, mostly it's ok.
If on the off chance it is bc, then it's likely to be early & is very treatable these days with most of us going onto make a full recovery. Having been through it, I understand that now.
let us know what happens
ann x
ladybowler
Community Champion

Darcie

It is usual to hear around two weeks after the appointment, that is the timescale they tell you that you will hear by and that is regardless of whether it is to recall you or not.

What you need to remember is that not all breast conditions are cancerous there can be so many other benign conditions that you can be recalled for to check out.  You will have seen on here the many ladies who have been recalled and it has not turned out to be cancer.

Let us know how your mum gets on, it is lovely that she has you all to support her. We allknow what she and you are going through and are here to help and support you.

Helena xxx

Darcie20

Hi everyone.

Not me who has had a mammogram (I am only 22) but my mum! Recently had her first routine mammogram only last week (aged 50) and has recieved a recall letter in less than 1 week asking her to go back for further testing next week. Would be 2 weeks post mammogram.

We are all sick with worry! She has none of the obvious- no changes/lumps or bumps. And like the majority of this forum expected it to come back with all clear!

What we are all worrying the most about is how quick the letter and appointment came post procedure? Is this normal practice to receive a letter and appointment within 2 weeks of the original mammogram?

It's going to be a long old week for all of us waiting for her appointment!

Any support would be appreciated. X
Poppyfields

That's great news!! We'll done. You will sleep easy tonight!!
Best wishes.
Xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Jackiem65

Oh that is great news, you can relax now and enjoy your evening, the discomfort will soon go.

Take care  Helenaxxxx

JackieM65

Thankyou ladies, all.  It's good news Smiley Happy  

It was a cyst, which they drained immediately.  The clinical staff were all lovely (Linda McCartney Centre, Liverpool), very gentle and patient. I'm just a little sore from all the 'squashing' but feeling fab.

So, my time on the forum turned out to be short, but I read a lot of interesting posts about breast health and feel a lot more informed going forward.  To those waiting for results or appointments, I truly hope you get a good outcome. More power to you ladies, and thankyou xxx

East side

Hi Jackiem65

Good advice in last post - I never turned up early for my appt - always on time.

You could well end up having a number of tests tomorrow. It was weird with my recall as there were about 6 ladies who had been called back. I had a biopsy on that follow up - and then a week later 4 of the same ladies turned up - you can appreciate that I was doing the maths... and my brain was spinning. Majority of recalls don't mean C, and some areas have a higher recall rate than others. Be prepared for a longish visit in case you get additional tests and if possible take someone with you - as a supporter and also as someone who can hear things being said. Thinking of you

S
Patriciamay

Hi Jackie hope your appointment goes,ok tomorrow.  Most clinics are exceptionally efficient, as they know they are dealing with very anxious patients.   I turned up to my appointment on time (not early) to reduce any potential waiting,  take your time and don't be rushed.  Do let us know what ever the outcome but thinking of you as it is a really anxious time.  Xxx

Anita

I can totally understand your anxiety. I was diagnosed with BC this time last year & finished my treatment in July. I was due for my first mammogram in April but a few weeks ago I began having pains in the other breast so my mammogram has been brought forward to this Thursday. I'm trying not to get anxious as it could be nothing but I know it could be BC again & I'm not sure I have the energy to do it all again. It seems this is something we are always going to have to live with.

Poppyfields

Hi. Yes. That's how I feel, I want a label and to get on with it if it is malignant this time. 10 days more waiting for me.

Xx
JackieM65

Hi Poppy,

Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I got the letter last Thursday, so the last four days have been grim.  I hate waiting for anything really and if it does turn out to be something nasty, well the sooner i can put a label on it and start dealing with it, the better! 

Sorry to hear about the result of your follow-up.  I wish you a good recovery 🙂

Jackie 

Poppyfields

Hi there, sorry that you have found yourself here but you will find lots of help and inspiration from this group.

I was just checking my last entry on this particular post (3/1/16) and I can't believe I didn't post with my results although I'm sure I did on a different post. My biopsy results from just over 12 months ago were benign and its true that most recalls do turn out to be nothing or some sort of benign disease.

So you do have a good chance that all will be OK and if not it's likely that it will have seen caught early and be very treatable.

You will probably have a magnified digital mammogram, ultrasound and possibly biopsies taken if deemed necessary.

I'm back here this year because at my year follow up the area of concern had multiplied and changed characteristics and I had surgery about 12 days ago to remove it all. Waiting for pathology results now...... Always waiting I'm afraid with this and everyone says the waiting is the worst part.

I wish you well with your appointment and please let us know how you get on. You are good not to Google as there is lots of out of date and incorrect info out there. Best to stay on this site and Macmillan.
Best wishes
Poppy
Xx
JackieM65

Hi folks,

Been reading through posts today looking for the positive news posts.  I had my second mammogram a week and a half ago and I got a recall for 'further tests'.  My appointment is tomorrow.  I'm trying to stay off Google because I'll end up terrifying myself, so I'm focusing on the odds instead.  If 1 in 4 recalls end up in a cancer diagnosis, then it's a 75% chance I have nothing to worry about, right?  

J

debbie.hale

how did you get on?

Jakeylady

Thanks ann, was worried there

ann-m
Community Champion

hi jakeylady,
yes, they tend not to hang about, so do not read anything into this, it's good practice to get this resolved asap.
ann x