Mammogram recall

Hi, on Weds 19th I had a mammogram. It was my first one and I was part of a trial of those younger than 50 having a routine one - I am 46. When the envelope came through I flippantly opened it up very much assuming it was going to say thank you very much and see you in three years time! However, it said i needed a further appointment- another mammogram, and ultrasound and maybe a biopsy. This was a very scary thing to see and totally what I was not expecting. I have never felt any lumps and now seem to constantly be feeling my breasts to see if there is anything there! has anyone else been called back like this??? Thank you x

Hi Cazlag

Welcome to the BCC forums, I am sure your fellow users will be along soon with support and shared experiences for you. Please also feel free to call our helpliners for practical and emotional support on 0808 809 6000, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturday 10-2

Take care
Lucy BCC

<Empty imported post>

My mother-in-law, and her two best friends have all had recalls. Usually it is something simply such as a fold of skin that makes the mammogram hard to read properly, and sometimes it’s a cyst or a calcification.

You are going to worry, it’s normal. As soon as you go to the clinic, you’ll know what you’re dealing with, but until then this forum and all the ladies here will keep you sane, I promise x

Thanks for your replies. I think it is just the two week period of waiting seems sooooooooooo long!!! Thanks for your support x

I am in exactly the same boat. I was one of the younger ones called in - recently turned 49 - and also opened the envelope expecting it to be al lclear. I have to go for a second stage screening and am very concerned. The nurse said it is probably because it’s my first mammogram and they do’t have one to compare it to. This doesn’t mean anything to me. Surely an abnormality is an abnormality? It took nearly 4 weeks to get this letter from my first scan so I’m hoping it’s nothing to worry about but now have to wait another 2 weeks for my follow up and am pretty worried and scared too!

Hi I was recalled after 1st mamogram in jan 14, I had just turned 50, like you all thought nothing of it and merrily opened letter and shocked to see further tests needed. Like you had no lumps etc, after further mamogram, ultrasound and biopsy, then a further core biopsy was diagnosed with dcis which sadly was 5cm in spread so no option other than mastectomy as small breasted, had this 4 weeks from diagnosis and now am 10 weeks post op, after having immediate implant with strattice recon. Back at work since beg of April life slowly getting back to normal, or I should say my new normal - still not allowed to Hoover!!! The process was handled so quickly and so professionally - all the doctors and nurses in the breast clinic were so reassuring and caring a side to the nhs that we do not hear much of, I really hope you will get an all clear but if it is dcis it is very treatable, though it’s not a walk in the park it could be so much worse. Do let us know how you get on and if you do need any further advice ask away. This site has kept me sane and the ladies on here are a fantastic support and font of knowledge. Good luck!

Hi Jabber 41

I was called back after my first mammogram.  There were 12 of us in the waiting room, more than half had been called back after first one, none of us had symptoms.  One by one they were all called in, most went home.

Unfortunately not me. I was last to leave, after being given the bad news. So the statistics say it’s not cancer.

you will worry, it’s human nature, I had no breast problems, then I opened the letter and suddenly had pain, discomfort,  burning nipple etc. The mind plays tricks on you. Keep busy, leave your breasts alone, don’t spend time looking things up on the internet.

post on here if it gets too much.

take care

Keeks

I,too, was called after an abnormal mammogram. I returned for a diagnostic mammogram and afterwards, they told me the radiologist recommended a needle biopsy. I had the stereotactic needle biopsy and the diagnosis was microcalcifications and a surgical biopsy was then recommended. I was pretty crazy with frustration and fear by this time . I googled microcalcifications all day long and was convinced it couldn’t end well. My surgical biopsy gave me diagnosis of Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia and PASH. My doc put me on Tamoxifen and I am one month into a five year regimen. don’t panic about the calcifications. I know that is easier said than done but it’s so easy to only read the “bad” results. We tend to read them word for word and we don’t take enough time reading the “good” results. Keep faith and stay positive. Microcalcifications are not always a BC diagnosis. Best if luck and take care:)

Hi just had a letter today telling me of recall.Getting conflicting ideas as to why this is so don’t know whether to be worried or not.has mammogram been done incorrectly or is there a problem.does anyone know if my doctor will have any more info?

Thanks for reply Trying not to worry but not easy

Good to hear positive outcomes definitely helps when u r a bit unnerved by it all.cant wait to get to this Thurs.thanks

Hi everyone
I have been reading this thread as I received a letter on Thursday asking me to come for a second visit after my first mammogram. I am 47 so had been called early have no history of breast cancer in the family, breastfed my children I’m not on hrt or the pill and cannot feel any lumps etc. So I know I’m low risk and reading everything I know I should not worry but blimey I just can’t stop worrying I feel sick constantly- I’m trying not to show it to my partner and I haven’t told my 3 kids as I don’t want them to worry.
I did speak to the radiographer on Thursday afternoon and she said there was something showing on the above slide of my right breast and that it could just be normal for me or the way I was positioned when it was taken and that 1 in 12 are recalled.
I’m having all sorts go round in my head and can’t seem to put it out of my mind even by keeping busy. My appointment is Tuesday 1st Dec so a long weekend ahead.
my partners three children are here for the weekend and I’m trying to be my normal up beat self but I’m really struggling to be honest and I’m worrying about him also he is a lovely lovely man who is due to go for a knee op on Dec 14th it is supposed to be me looking after him not him worrying about me!

Yes me! What happened to you afterwards?
I’m waiting to go for recall and worried sick!

When is your next appointment mines on Tuesday and it’s all I can think about

Hi. I attended a recall recently after my 3rd routine mammogram and had a recall. I went along and had a magnified mammogram and ultrasound. A lump and several clusters of micro calcifications were found in one boob. They wanted to do a core needle biopsy a couple of days later but I had flights booked so I’m having it done this Thursday morning. Good luck everyone. X

Yes the waiting is horrible it’s all you can think about - I was a mess at work yesterday and I hate that I have reacted this way I thought I would have dealt with this a lot better I am a strong person - app this afternoon - I will let you know - fingers crossed for everyone also x

All clear ?
It’s fatty tissue - I was told that as we age breast tissue turns to fatty tissue and as this was my first mammogram they had nothing to compare it with so to make sure they did another mammogram an ultra sound and an examination - I must have asked her 20 times are you sure, are you sure your sure - had convinced myself it would be bad news - so hope that helps with the waiting it could be nothing they just need to double check x

Good luck for today - hope all is well x

Excellent news fanackapan! How did you get on today scatty65? I’ve got my core needle tmw. X