Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RECALL LETTER

6 REPLIES 6
Community Champion

Re: RECALL LETTER

Hi Mrsdann,

Most recalls turn out not to be BC, it just means something has been seen that needs a closer look & yes, a quick appointment is normal practice, so please don’t read anything into it. 

If on the off chance, it is bc then the mammo has done it’s job in picking it up early, so it can be more easily dealt with, but, statistically, it’s less likely to come to that. 

ann x

I had my mammogram 2 wks ago and received my recall yesterday with further appointment for this Monday. I’m not sure whether to be worried about it being so quick??

Hi MM, hope you are ok. I had recall week later. Apparently thats normal. Could anyone else go with you?. The waiting is awful. Worse as your hubby away. I'm getting my results 6th June. Be thinking of you. X

Hi MM

Where do you live? if I could I would be more than happy to come with you!

i am very fortunate and i’m doing well. I had a grade 2.4cm tumour ( invasive ductal and lobular.)

Oncotype DX score was 10 ( huge relief) so following lumpectomy ( January) I had 15 sessions rads( March) and now I feel fine and I’m back at work.

Please  don’t write that new job off yet. Congratulations on getting it. Well done you! Now take one step at a time.  Bear in mind that even the worst news ( yes it is cancer) doesn’t always mean that things will be unbearable or impossible and you don’t even know that the news is bad yet.

My mammogram was 30 November and recall clinic appointment was for 17 December. There is now a sense of unreality about the last 6 months....a feeling of ‘ did that really happen? Have I really had cancer?’

You are doing brilliantly at such a bad time. Stay as strong as this and you will be fine. Well done on not telling your husband yet. It would be so hideous for him whilst he is away from you and who knows....there may be no cause for anxiety. You have been recalled for further checks, nothing more. As yet there is no news to pass on.  Try to keep this in mind.

My own appointment was only 17 days after mammogram so I don’t think your 2 week appointment signals anything to cause anxiety. My letter arrived 10 days after mammogram. 

Nothing that I can say will stop you worrying....I wouldn’t expect it to. Keep busy, keep active. Try to retain some normality in your life. This awful waiting time will soon be over. We have all been through it and we all know how worrying it is. To go through it when your husband is away must be especially hard. Go to bed as tired as you can possibly be and above all remember that ‘this too will pass’  Whatever the news is you will feel better when you know and when you can get on with whatever life throws at you.

please keep me updated as I will certainly be thinking of you

hugs and good thoughts coming your way

JJ

Hi JJ

Thank you so much for your supportive reply to my message.  I still feel numb about it all and at the moment am just thinking the worst news is going to be given to me on the 23rd.  The timing of all this couldn't have been any worse as I'm due to start a new job on June 4th so I really don't need this on my mind at all.  It's a job I've been waiting months and months for as well.  My husband rang a few times yesterday as he always does when he's away working.  I had to carry on as normal and just pretend everything was fine and I was okay.  He's not due back to the 23rd or 24th so there is no way he'll be able to come to the clinic appointment with me.  And when he does get back I am dreading the kind of news I may have to tell him.  It's really hard not to think the worst things but I'm so scared as I have literally received the letter just over a week after my first scan when they told me at the clinic I'd get the results in 3-4 weeks.  Is this a bad sign that I got the second appointment so quickly, literally 2 weeks to the day since my first scan????  I can't help but think that this is not good and that it couldn't have come at a worse time. 

I think you were very brave to go to your appointment on your own - how are you doing now JJ?  I hope all your treatment has gone well for you.  I don't think I'm going to be able to go on my own as I know my mind will be all over the place and I will need someone there to take in all the details for me so that I'm then able to tell my husband whatever the outcome is. 

Thanks again for your support on here JJ.

MM

Hi MM.

so glad you came to this forum where you will find all the support and help you need at a very worrying time. What rotten luck your husband is away at such a time.

For what is worth I think your decision not to tell your husband is brave, loving and the right thing to do.

i didn’t take anyone when I went to clinic after a mammogram recall as I really thought it would be just be a machine blip. It wasn’t and as soon as I went in I had an ultrasound , biopsy and fine needle aspiration. I was told results would be a week. I explained that as a nurse I had a fair idea of where the news was going and Dr asked if I had anyone with me. I said no but I explained that for me I preferred to hear news (even awful news) alone and then explain it to my husband later when I had absorbed this new reality. Dr agreed and told me he was almost certain it was cancer( which it was). I was so grateful for Drs understanding and even though news was bad I felt better that I wouldn’t have a week of uncertainty before knowing the diagnosis. But that’s just me! 

Of course not all stories are the same. Your problem may be very innocent....I certainly hope so and there is every chance that it will be. Don’t despair.

It is entirely up to you if you take anyone with you. No rights or wrongs but many people think that a second set of ears listening to what is being said is of great help. Just do what feels right to you. 23rd will soon be here and whatever the news is it starts to feel better when the waiting is over and plans are in place. First step....get to clinic. All on this forum will be with you in spirit anyway! 

Let us all know how it goes

big hugs

JJ 

RECALL LETTER

Hi

I just had my first Mammogram on 8th May and received a letter today, 18th May, about 2 hours ago recalling me for more tests.  I don't think I can quite believe it and to make matters worse hubby is abroad working and I'm at home on my own - in a bit of shock I think.  Needed to talk to someone so came straight to this forum.  My next appointment is less than a week away, 23rd May and I don't even know if my husband is going to be home to come with me.  I also don't want to tell him while he's away working as I don't want to worry him!!  Can I ask if women going back for a second screening would normally take their husbands or partners, or a female friend instead?  Have so many scenarios going through my mind now am not quite sure what to think.  Feeling a bit numb to be honest. xx