65702members
346114posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-call after annual screening - what does opaque mean?

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted

Re: Re-call after annual screening - what does opaque mean?

Oh crikey.  I hope it’s all straight forward for you Helena.  I would also add, I am so amazed at the patience and care provided by the staff, I am sure they will treat you really well, which will make it easier.  Hats off to you for going ahead with it, you are brave.  Thanks to you all.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Patriciamay

Oh mate that is great news, you can breath now and relax my dear.  It is scary but also reassuring that they are ultra careful with us xxx

I am having a hysterectomy on Tuesday, the lining in my womb is thick so they have advised the best thing is for it all to be taken away, its not like I need it 🙂 🙂

Helena xxx

Highlighted
Community Champion

What a relief, PM & so glad to hear all’s ok.
Also, thanks for your insights into the system, as it something we all have to contend with when ‘that’ time of year comes round.
ann x
Highlighted

Hi Helena and all

first of all I do hope you are ok, and keeping well.  I didn’t know you was having an op, but I am aware you have said previous,y you have had a few.  I hope you are ok.

ok. I have been in a terrible state, which everyone here I know understands.  I went for my appointment this morning.  Everything is normal!  I wanted to kiss them.  More than a massive relief.

the problem I think I have is the re-call of what happened last time - they mis-diagnosed me, and found a further lump on day of surgery.  I think this has caused me major mis-trust issues.  So I am going in to the unit to discuss how I can manage this better next year.

for anyone reading this I would say:  (1). They are hyper cautious about us, any change has to be checked.  (2). Mine was normal glandular tissue change due to hormones. (3). They do not want to make any mistakes.  My scans were checked by 3 consultants today, which heightened my anxiety.

i was also reminded by the nurse that we are out of the usual population. So  are-call is different to the usual re-call.  It is jus a “screen check”. I get the difference but difficult nine the less.

lastly thank you all for being here it’s a god send.

best wishes to all.

pm

Highlighted
Community Champion

Patriciamay

Sorry I missed your post from the other day.

Glad to hear that you are feeling better about things.  It is amazing a bit of fresh air, exercise or just doing something nice can make such a difference.  I went for a walk yesterday as had to put my car in for MOT, it was cool but bright, very different day today, cloudy, breezy and warm. 

I am trying to keep away from people as I have my op scheduled for next Tuesday and do not want to risk picking up an infection again but it is hard staying in the house all the time, got to get used to it as I am going to be off work for a good 8 weeks

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Hi.  Thank you all for your support.  Just got back from the gym, and feeling much more in control.  I just can’t see this being anything.  I think they are hyper sensitive about all of us.  Llast time they ignored one of my images and it was a mistake, basically they missed one of my cancers. The radiologist is hyper sensitive now about me.  I had two meetings with him afterwards, and he told me, he felt terrible, and he uses my case for teaching.  He also had said he wanted me to have a tomothesis mammo in going forward, and they didn’t do that this week.  Does this sound credible?  It’s a lovely day here which helps hope it is for you too. Thank you again so much.

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Patriciamay,
Sorry to hear you’re going through this & nothing more to add than Jo & Helena have said.
I know I’d feel the same way, it’s good it’s being checked out, although you need it like a hole in the head, of course.
Sending hugs
ann x
Highlighted
Community Champion

Patriciamay

Let me know how you get on Monday.

You can pm me over the weekend if you want to

H xxxx

Highlighted

Thank you so much for your comments, I’m definitely ringing on Monday, as I need to know if this is a “just check this image” or “this looks dodgy”.  I’m going to ask to speak to the radiology consultant, I think he will ring me, as last time they messed up my scans and he knows me.

there has to be a better way for us hasn’t there?

so grateful for your support. Xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Patriciamay, 

Im so sorry you are having to deal with this, once is enough and I completely understand how you must be feeling. There really needs to be a change in how we are dealt with post diagnosis, its barbaric to be recalled and left in suspense again, it's so cruel and I would be feeling just as you are. 

Our logcal minds know full well that this is likely to be nothing to worry about but that's not much help when you are so scared and anxious. 

I wish there was something i could say to help you feel a bit better but we are all here to lean on during this awful wait and we will support you all we can Xx Jo 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Patriciamay

This is the anxiety monster taking over, I wish I could give you the hugs in person but this will have to do.

group hug.jpg

Okay well lets take each day at a time and try not to think too far ahead about "what if" all we know at the moment is that there is an area that they want to have a look at again, it could very well be that the initial mammogram image was not clear and hence showing this "opaqueness".  You know that it is better to get it sorted for your own peace of mind, if you didnt go you would always wonder

We are all here for you and we get you through til your apt on Thursday.

Helena xxxx

Highlighted

Thank you for your kindness LB.

appointment is Thursday.  I am beside myself.  I am thinking going to ring BCN again on Monday, as I can’t take this.  At the moment I am “not going to attend mode”.   I hope you are wellx

Highlighted
Community Champion

Patriciamay

And breath my dear.  It is good that they are being cautious and from what the nurse is saying they are  making sure which is what you would want them to do

The trouble is because you have been through this before it is going to be very scary.  When is your appointment?

Sending you loads of hugs, we are all here for you.

Helena xxx

Highlighted

Re-call after annual screening - what does opaque mean?

Hi all

i am absolutely devastated.  I had a lumpectomy two years ago on my right breast.  Two small leasions 1 x grade 1 and the other a grade 2.  15 sessions of Radiotherapy, now on letrozole.  I had my first annual screen last year,  all fine.  This year I have been called back.  Left breast.  I spoke to the BCN and she said, the report says. “Area of opaqueness”. I asked if there was any “spiculation” and she said no.  She said her view was this was them being over cautious and although couldn’t say it wasn’t anything in her view she didn’t think it was anything.

I have just gone into melt down, I can’t do this again.  Anyone else had a re-call?  Know what “opaque” means.  Any comfort would be so much appreciated. X