Really anxious waiting for biopsy results

Hello, 

Having a bad day today…feeling really anxious and a bit tearful.  Was called back to clinic last Monday after a routine mammogram, but wasn’t too worried as had only had a mammogram 8 months previously due to a lump which turned out to be nothing.  I had a few magnified mammograms of the left breast due to calcifications which hadn’t been there 8 months previously. I then had an ultrasound which didn’t show anything, and then a vacuum assist biopsy which was traumatic, but they said they got a good sample for testing.  The staff were lovely and were very thorough.  I have to go back this Wednesday for the results and am so scared.  My Mum died of breast cancer at 39, and I’ve always felt that it is only a matter of time until l get it too. Wednesday can’t come soon enough that’s for sure.

I guess I’m fearing the worst as the calcifications have developed in a short period but maybe they do that, and I’m winding myself up for no reason!

Thanks for reading,

Caz x

You are doing the right thing. You had the tests and now you are in a period of uncertainty waiting to find out the results, good or bad. You have every right to be scared. Your mother died young of breast cancer. So you are really worried you have it too, despite earlier mammogram results.

No amount of worrying will make the results either better or worse. It’s good to face the worst, that it is breast cancer. But it may not be. I have now had breast cancer twice, I am still around. There’s a lot of luck in it, but treatments appear to be improving all the time particularly now there is genetic testing as well as tests for whether it is hormone receptive or not. 

Knowledge is power. I’m not saying it’s a great diagnosis, but breast cancer is the most common cancer affecting women, so there’s a big community of people out there who can give you support. The NHS also has NICE guidance to make sure all NHS Trusts follow best practice. 

There are information booklets available from Breast Cancer Now on all topics breast cancer wise, and MacMillan do some too on breast cancer and a lot of other cancers. Get some counselling if you can. And talk to your GP about support you can get from your local practice. 

Seagulls