Recently Diagnosed - worried about pain

Hi, I’m 34 and have recently been diagnosed with grade 2 invasive ductal carcinoma - oestrogen positive.
I’m having a lumpectomy on Wednesday then treatment plan will be decided from there.
I’ve obviously been worried sick, I have 2 small children and the thought of leaving them is killing me.
I have intermittent pain in my left arm, my ribs and neck/shoulder blade. The hospital are aware of this and don’t feel concerned, they’ve decided against an MRI at the moment. I’m just so worried the cancer has spread and the thoughts are consuming me. The people I know who’ve been through similar all have said they had no pain like I’ve got. It’s not severe but I’m constantly aware when I have it, it’s the same side as my affected breast too.
Has anyone had anything similar? I feel like I’m going insane with worry ?

HaylsLou

Hello and welcome to the forum, although not a place we would willing want to be, however you will get loads of help and support from the wonderful ladies on here.

It is amazing when the anxiety monster and stress takes over how we get aches and pains which we then convince ourselves that it has spread and all rational thought goes out the window.  Many of us will relate to what you are feeling.  I remember when I was diagnosed I was convinced every ache and pain was to do with the bc.  Try as much as possible to distract yourself mind you with two small children I would imagine that is not difficult to do.

My story is that two years ago September I was diagnosed with grade 1 tubular bc, oestrogen positive.  I had surgery in the October, followed by 20 sessions of radiotherapy and was put on tamoxifen for 10 years. I can not believe that it was two years ago, when at the time I could not even imagine seeing another summer, but I am sit here.

Come on here whenever you want to rant, rave, laugh and we do that as well, ask questions, whatever, there will always be someone to support you.

Sending you hugs

helena xxx

Hi HaylsLou,

I was diagnosed with grade 2 invasive ductal carsinoma  ER+ PR+ in August this year. It was a total shock to me even though I had found the lump. I  had wide lumpectomy excision and sentinal node biopsy in mid Sept. This was a day surgery so went home in eve.  I got my results early October and was downgraded to grade 1 overall  and told that a 15 mm tumour and another 9 mm tumour were removed. Thankfully my sentinal node was negative . I am now on Tamoxifen for 5 years (and just started blood pressure tabs too) and starting 15 sessions of radiotherapy soon. 

Answering your question as to pain my experience was that I did have an dull achy muscle sort feeling in my breast that I was aware of before I found the lump.

Thoughts of the future are very unsettling especially when waiting for results but hopefully you have a good network of people round you to help you and your family through the next few months.     

I hope everything goes well for you on Wednesday, 

Best wishes 

Richtea