cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Results left me confused

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Results left me confused

Hi Mommyof2,

Just checking in to see how you are getting on and whether you've gained any more clarity re the appointment from the hospital, breast care nurses or the BC now nurse.

Sending hugs

Seabreeze

Highlighted

Hi Mommyof2- Hope you managed to get some sleep and not worry too much. I really think the best thing to do will be to ring the breast care nurse who you’ve been dealing with. She will have access to your medical team and will be able to access information for you as best she can from your hospital and will be the best person to advise you about what is going on. I always phone mine if I have a question about something or something isn’t clear. They are a great source of information and will normally be able to ask the Dr who is treating you questions if they need to - mine certainly does. X 

Highlighted

Hi Mommyof2,

It just sounds like they might want to double check the lump and nodes. 

You could call the breast cancer care nurse in the morning to try to find out what they might do, and perhaps also phone the nurse at breast cancer now to see what they say. They might be able to give you more idea and just be a sounding board too.

Please try not to go into panic mode, as the hospital said the indications are the lump is fibroadema.

Try to get some sleep knowing you have a mini action plan for tomorrow.

Seabreeze x

Highlighted

Hello Seabreeze

No I don’t have a date for the onc yet. What exactly will the onc do that the biopsy/surgeon didn’t? I’m just curious what I should expect. I have been trying to stay off google but it’s hard. I’m worried crazy & my mind is all over the place. I just want to get to the bottom of everything. I have enlarged lymph nodes in both axilla, which the radiologist noticed before he performed my biopsy. I have had the swelling in my underarms for a long time now, so no I don’t have a cold/flu or anything of that nature. I am sick to my stomach at what this could be. Will they check for other cancers when I go or just focus on the breast?

Highlighted

Hi Mommyof2,

It sounds like either:

based on the scan images they think fibroadema and are awaiting the results of the biopsy (given some BC can look like fibroadema on the scans) or,

the biopsy results are already back but they want to check a bit more to be sure its fibroadema (since from reading your response to Jaybro it sounds like they think a node looks a tad swollen, so want to check things out a bit more).

I totally understand that with your mother having had BC you will be more concerned. 

Try not to panic, if they are saying it looks like fibroadema then it sounds like there is a possibility that is what it may turn out to be. 

Is there anyone you can take with you when you go for your follow up appointment with the onc? Might be helpful to have someone friendly but calm, who can take notes and be there just in case, whatever the outcome, and someone to breathe relief with if it is just fibroadema.

I was in a similar situation when I was being tested in my early 40s, with a lump which looked dark on the scans and could have been either. I'm now 5.5 years on and doing ok.

Did they give you a date to see the onc? I guess you could contact the breast cancer care nurse and explain you are a bit confused and see if she can clarify the current position. It sounds like it's to check the node and the lump a bit more.

I do feel for you, sending a virtual hug.

Seabreeze

Highlighted

Hello Seabreeze,

I had called to see when I would have an appointment to discuss results of the biopsy. The doctor got on the phone and basically said the lump was “like a Fibroadenoma” and I was going to be referred to oncology. That’s all I got from that phone call. I am 31 years old, my mother had bc 5 years ago. I had the mammo/us because of some thickening I found in my left breast along with some swelling in the left axilla & physical

changes to my breast.

Highlighted

Hello Jan,

Thank you for responding. For starters, she gave me my results over the phone. The receptionist told me they had my results since yesterday & I was calling to see why I had not heard from anyone in regards to scheduling an appointment to discuss my results. I am not fond of the surgeon at all and honestly should’ve switched after the first encounter. She wasn’t to the point with any of the info & briefly discussed the lymph nodes increasing in size & said I was being referred to oncology. What has me confused is why refer me if I wasn’t told I have cancer ? Why get a second opinion/be referred if nothing is being suspected?

Highlighted

Hello Pawsome,

Yes, I was allocated a breast care nurse. She told me to call if I have any questions now that I think of it. I was just confused as to why I would have to see oncology. My mother is a bc survivor & first thing she said was they would test me for other cancers, they are limited to only bc. But I will be sure to give her a ring.

Thank you so much for your response! 

Highlighted

Hi Mommyof2,

When they called you did they just describe what it looked like based on the scans, or had they actually got the results of the biopsy back as well?

And we're you referred having found a lump or via routine mammo? My reason for asking is that if you are referred due to having found a lump, if they are at all suspicious on scan day they usually arrange an appointment to give you the results, rather than phoning you.

I'm aware fibroadema and some types of bc can look very similar on the mammo and ultrasound, hence wondering if they actually had the biopsy results too?

I know it's hard not knowing, but try not to panic at this stage. 

Sea breeze x. Apols for any typos -on my mobi!

Highlighted

Hi

No wonder you’re confused - but I hope you’re not riddled with fear and scouring Google for less-than-useful info? Unfortunately, when we go for these appointments or take these calls, our minds don’t seem to be on the ball like they would in other situations and you don’t ask the questions you need to ask. That’s why it’s good to take someone with you - my friend took notes.

It may help to know that most breast lumps are harmless. I had a large fibroadenoma decades ago and the consultant, even though he was certain it was harmless, insisted on removing it and doing histology checks “just in case.” Perhaps you are being referred as that extra precaution. That is great because they are taking no risks. It’s a nuisance and may be worrying (and there’s no point telling you not to worry) but it will provide the reassurance you need.

Just to make sure I’m not giving you false hope, I have also, 2018, had a mass that was found to be cancer - but my nodes were heavily affected and your consultant would have told you if your node biopsy had come back positive. So don’t let that terrify you. Just showing both sides of the picture. A lump doesn’t mean cancer but a check by oncology “just in case” is always worth it.

Meantime, please don’t look on Google. It’s usually disastrous. The nurses here are great to talk to if you have anything that’s worrying you. Take good care of yourself and let us know how you get on next week.

Jan x

Highlighted

Have you been allocated a breast care nurse? If so I would give her a ring tomorrow and have a chat with her. She might be able to explain things more clearly? X

Highlighted

Results left me confused

So I’m going to cut to the chase. I had a biopsy Friday of my left breast and lymph node (axillary). Today the doctor called me and basically was beating around the bush. Said the result of the breast mass was “like a Fibroadenoma” & then proceeded to say I was being referred to oncology & they should be calling me by beginning of next week. So I’m really confused at this point because she didn’t really tell me anything one way or the other.