Scan results

I had a mammogram, ultrasound scan and a biopsy. The nurse said that she gave the scan a 4 (1 being non cancerous and 5 being cancerous. And she said it’s highly probable it’s cancer. I am now awaiting my biopsy results. Has anyone been told this and it’s ended up being benign? Freaking out  

Hi jojo

I’m sorry to say this, it feels so unkind, but nurses rarely commit themselves unless they are pretty certain - and she was thorough - so it is possible that you do have breast cancer. She wouldn’t subject you to the misery and fear without good cause. She’d lose her job eventually. All the biopsies and scans that will     follow simply narrow down the diagnosis to help determine what treatment is needed.

This is NOT a diagnosis, just an observation so please don’t lose that inkling of hope that the biopsies contradict what the nurse spotted. However, there’s no need to freak out . Get rid of the 20th century tropes of women and breast cancer - things have changed rapidly. 90% of bc cases caught early lead to no recurrence. Surgeons aim to preserve breasts, not maim women if they can and the treatments which seem scary stop being scary and become manageable. There’s loads of us here who can say been there, done it and still smiling, so don’t assume the worst.

Use this time to focus on your emotional wellbeing. Keep away from Google (that’s our major piece of advice) and look after yourself. If you do turn out to have bc, you’ll need resilience and you can be building that up now. Do what makes you feel good and what may take your mind off it. Running, mindfulness, baking, yoga, meditation…whatever works for you. I always recommend the YouTube videos that got me through, meditations to help you breathe properly, control anxiety, reduce fearful thoughts, sleep. I like Progrssive Hypnosis best and still do one daily.

I hope you get your results soon and the nurse was incorrect but be prepared and don’t see it as “the worst”. Take care.

Jan xx