cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scared!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Scared!

Thank you Evie for your reply. 
I'm keeping myself busy today to stop me thinking so much! I’m trying really hard not to get carried away with my thoughts. As my husband keeps saying.... one step at a time!! 

fingerscrossed 

Community Champion

Hi fingerscrossed - a big hug from me too. You have received some wonderful advice from Jan, and I can’t really add to it but didn’t want to read and not stop by. Similar to what Jan said, I read advice in one book that said to remember “fears are NOT facts”.

We are all here if or when you need to chat or offload while you wait for Wednesday. You may already have looked on other threads, but if not I can tell you of I think 3 ladies in about the past 2 weeks who have been on here writing similar posts and they then came back to say that their lump was benign. It’s really good to read positive stories like that.

You may also want to call the lovely nurses on here, phone number at the top of this page.

Best wishes, Evie xx

Thank you so much for your reply Jan. I really appreciate it. Thank you for your advice and facts too! It’s like a battle inside my head... the rational side says not to worry and states the facts etc but the other sides keeps popping in with unhelpful thoughts! 
I’m 46 and have hubby and 2 children ( 14 and almost 11) so have lots to keep me busy... but I will try and make some time for me too. Walking is ‘my thing’, so I’ll plan one for tomorrow or tues. 

thank you again for your reply. 

fingers crossed 

Hi

I’m so sorry you find yourself in this position. Given your mum’s medical history, it’s understandable that the first thing that leaps to mind is breast cancer. But there’s one very important FACT it might help to focus on: the majority of breast lumps turn out to be harmless. You don’t give your age but, when I was in my early 30s, I felt a huge lump that seemed to have come out of the blue. It was a fibroadenoma, a benign growth of breast tissue that was removed in day surgery and then forgotten about. So keep reminding yourself that the odds are on your side. I think your choice of i/d suggests you know that.

There are also mistaken beliefs about breast cancer in families. There is an increased risk but not necessarily any link. My mum had breast cancer twice (she died of heart failure at 89) and my own had no links to hers. Not all breast cancers are genetically linked.

You have a few days of worry to get through yet so, since you asked for advice, my advice is to spend as much time as you can looking after yourself. No poking and prodding. No looking up breast cancer on Dr Google (guaranteed disaster for most of us). If you already have a method of nurturing your mental health, double up, triple up - more yoga, more meditations, mindfulness, boxed sets, brisk walking, whatever... I relied on YouTube videos that I plugged in whenever I needed then and sent me into a relaxed state or sleep. There are hundreds, maybe thousands - my favourite was Progressive Hypnosis’s Manifest Healing. It got me through all my treatment and beyond.

I hope things work out well for you when you see your breast consultant. Make sure you’ve written your pressing questions down because it’s hard to remember it all when you are moving from examination to test and back. And if it is breast cancer, as your mum’s experience will tell you, it’s s*** but most of us get through it. 

Stay calm, Jan x

Scared!

Hi 

I’m new to the forum. Just over a week ago I found a lump in my breast! Scared is an understatement, my mum has had breast cancer twice! 
I went to the drs the same day and was referred. My appt is this coming weds at the breast care clinic at my local hospital... I’m so nervous!!!!! The wait is killing me.... any advice gratefully received!!! 

fingers crossed