Terrified

Hi there I discovered a large lump at the side of my left breast under my armpit 10 days ago. I have been fast tracked to the hospital for tests , tomorrow. I am petrified and trying to get any information.

the limp feels long and rounded and it’s smooth but quite hard

Hi mariamb

I am sorry this is a stressful time for you. It is understandable to feel scared about your appointment tomorrow. 

Do you think it would help to chat to one of our nurses ahead of your appointment? You can reach them on freephone 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm; Sat 9am-1pm). They’re friendly and happy to chat about anything that’s on your mind!

Sending love and positive energy your way

Bernard

PS I moved your post to one where it may be seen by more people.

Hiyer Maria,

Its a horrible, awfully frightening time waiting for that breast clinic appointment. I don’t know what type of clinic you are going to but you would certainly expect a mammogram/and or ultrasound of the area. Many clinics start with a consultant talking with you and giving you a physical examination, then the mammo/ultrasound follows, but this does vary from area to area and hospital to hospital depending on their policies. They may be able to tell you there and then their feelings about if what you have is benign or not, but if the mass you have found is needing a biopsy then that can also often be done on that same visit if it is a a ‘one-stop clinic’ set-up. They don’t take any chances with anything that is even slightly suspicious - so unless they are 100 percent certain from the images they have taken that its a benign lump then a biopsy can be done quickly with a local anaesthetic injection (in most cases). Whatever you find out from your visit, even if you need treatment, you can rest assured that there are loads and loads of us on here who are many years further down the line to you and doing just fine and dandy (over 4 years in my case). I hope you find out tomorrow that there is nothing to be concerned about, but if you don’t and need a biopsy do come back and reply on here or phone the number above left by Bernard. The ladies on the phone helpline are awesome and have ‘been there’! We are all here to help and support. x