The waiting game...

Hi, I’m new here but have been using the forums for reassurance for a few months now and just want to start by saying thank you to everyone for their posts.

My back story:

In June I found a lump in my right breast. I waited due to being advised that hormones can change the feel etc and in July I went to my GP who was incredible and reassuring. She processed an urgent referral and less than a week later I’d had blood tests, a biopsy and an ultrasound scan (Thank goodness for the NHS right!). The wait for results was unbearable and being August the bank holidays just prolonged the post. Eventually I got my letter back and it was good news, the lump was a Fibroadenoma. 

At the ultrasound the nurses had expected this and had given me a leaflet about Fibroadenoma so I read it cover to cover and turned to this forum for clarification. Despite the good result I felt a little lost, I put this down to the wait and unknown. Basically I’ve been on edge since.

In October I found another lump. This time it felt different. I’d describe it more as a bump than lump and concluded that I was just being a hypochondriac because of what had happened with my other lump. When the bump hadn’t disappeared by December I went to my GP.

Once again she was incredible. Very reassuring and offered to refer me for reassurance but didn’t believe it was anything to be worried about. She checked my old Fibroadenoma and was concerned it had changed. It does feel different but I assumed this was due to the biopsy. My referral was fast once again. It was 3 days later I went for my next ultrasound and biopsy.

Before the ultrasound I spoke to the doctor who agreed with my GP that my left lump was probably nothing but breast tissue. He offered to discuss removal of my old lump for peace of mind through surgery and advised I come back after the ultrasound to discuss.

The ultrasound confirmed that my previous lump had grown by 3mm to 18mm in just 3 months and the ‘bump’ was almost as big measuring at 13mm. The nurses suspected another Fibroadenoma and carried out a biopsy on it. She said she wasn’t overly concerned and that it was a Level 2 referral? Whatever that is. 

I waited to go back into the doctor but the nurse came out and said that it would be better to go home and think about the surgery then come back for my results and to discuss. Here’s where I began to overthink! Why the change? Was the doctor just busy? Did they see something on the scan? Why aren’t my results coming through the post like before? I’ve done nothing but over analyse since 20.12.19. From the pat on the shoulder from one nurse to the ‘Try not to worry and enjoy your Christmas’ from the other nurse I’ve done nothing but read too much into it. 

I’m not sure what I’m hoping for from writing this essay haha but if anyone’s been asked to go back for a results appointment rather than a letter in the post please share your story if you can. 

Thanks if you’re still reading. 
:slight_smile:

nharris

Hello and welcome, thats the great thing about this forum, it lets you say what you are thinking that you would not say to your family but on here there are lots of ladies who know exactly what you are going through.  We all know that “overthinking” thing and the tempation to start asking Dr Google what it could be and why.

When are you due to go back to see them?

Sending you hugs.

Helena xxx